We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denarau or Nadi for DVD's and souveniers?

Which Treasure Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Level Contributor
40 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Denarau or Nadi for DVD's and souveniers?

Which would you recommend as we will have limited time for shopping?

Thanks Krissie

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Denarau or Nadi for DVD's and souveniers?

Hi Krissie,

I'll put my 2 cents worth in here --- Nadi would be better than Denarau or a local village if you are visiting one, would be even better - $$$ go straight to the people. I actually sell to a major chain in Fiji (Tappoo) and their prices are extreme for the product.

But honestly, there is not much to purchase --- it's not like shopping in Bali or Hong Kong for the brand name rip offs etc etc.

Hope this helps as in my opinion, you are wasting valuable Fiji time by spending it shopping.

Julie.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
40 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Denarau or Nadi for DVD's and souveniers?

I agree Julie,

We're staying at Danny's homestay for 3 nights, so I'm sure we'll pick up a few things there. I am with my 14 year old 'consumer' son though. I read somewhere that there were DVD's, and then somewhere else that there weren't, also Nike or similar clothing?

Thank-you for your reply, I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.It would be good if he could pick up a few little bargains. We know it won't be like Thailand or Bali. That's why we've got the snorkel gear ready!!!

Cheers

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,398 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Denarau or Nadi for DVD's and souveniers?

Agree with Bay Sidney. If you visit a village, try to purchase some souveniers there as the money goes to support the village. I did some shopping at Denarau. While waiting for our flight home at the airport, I found I could have bought the same things there and cheaper than what I paid at Denarau. Once you clear customs there are lots of duty free and other shops.

Edited: 17 January 2010, 18:04
Melbourne
Level Contributor
40 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Denarau or Nadi for DVD's and souveniers?

Thanks so much.

I have read about DVD's and Nike. I'm not that interested, but my 14 year old is.

We plan to bring a few school supplies as well as a few balls and or kites for the kids of the village, and will definately do our souvenir shopping there!

Sorry for sounding so materialistic, it's not our main plan. Everyone likes a bargain though!!!

Any other ideas for gifts for the village kids? I hear Kava is always well received??

Newcastle
Level Contributor
149 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Denarau or Nadi for DVD's and souveniers?

Most of the souvenier shops in Nadi town and Denarau are all the same brands and all stock the same products anyway.

I didnt notice much price difference.

Thanks

Bathurst, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Viti Levu, Treasure Island, Sonaisali Island, Nadi
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Denarau or Nadi for DVD's and souveniers?

I would suggest Nadi as having more shops and offers but Denarau is cleaner if that helps! Ive been to both and shopped away! In Nadi you have Prouds and Tapoos they have Nike gear. Hope this helps! Not as much Nike at Denarau in fact very little!

Newcastle, australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Denarau or Nadi for DVD's and souveniers?

Krissie,

I think you'd have more luck buying cheap, genuine Nike gear on ebay. Fiji is NOT a shopping holiday by any means. There is no such thing as bargain clothes and DVDs. They have them, but not cheap. As for souvenirs, try as hard as you can to buy from local villages and keep the money with them, but be mindful also of quarantine guidelines. Check for borer holes and any other type of insects eggs or Larvae. I know Jack's in Nadi will sell similar souvenir items at a higher price, but all are customs qualified and guaranteed to be pest free. You won't have any trouble getting their souvenirs home. Don't quote me, but I'm pretty sure they're all locally made too. I would steer clear of buying anything on Denaurau. Everything there is priced for convenience and the non-adventurists.

Cheers,

Sweet6Deans

Melbourne
Level Contributor
40 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Denarau or Nadi for DVD's and souveniers?

Thanks so much to everyone for all your great advice! We're off tomorrow morning and can't wait!!

I'll let you know how we went, but I'm sure we'll have a bal!!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
384 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Denarau or Nadi for DVD's and souveniers?

How did your trip go? We are going in September (staying at Shangri La) with 4 adults and 4 teenage kids (13 to 18) and would like your feedback on the whole experience.

10. Re: Denarau or Nadi for DVD's and souveniers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Treasure Island