We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meal Deal - Opinions please......

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Meal Deal - Opinions please......

Hi Everyone,

A friend and his 2 children (19 & 16 yrs) are booking a 5 night stay at Treasure and their TA suggested they purchase a meal plan @ A$300 pp covering 3 meals per day.

They are good eaters, but not huge --- any opinions on what they should do??

Thanks in advance

Julie ~

12 replies to this topic
Sydney
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meal Deal - Opinions please......

Hi BaySydney, we had purchased a meal plan, breakfast and dinner only. It was good value especially if you want a 3 course dinner each night; for me it was too much food for an evening meal but did enjoy it though. Their lunch menu is pretty good and very reasonably priced. If not huge eaters, I wouldn't bother with the meal plan actually. Maybe your friend could email the resort to ask about cost of buffet b/fast, a sample lunch and dinner menu- then compare that to the cost of the meal plan.

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,443 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meal Deal - Opinions please......

Hi Julie,

A$300 pp seems quite expensive to me. Prices for meals plans on the website for Treasure are in FD and appear cheaper......but I have never been good at math!

www.treasureisland-fiji.com/meal_plan.php

Cathy

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,039 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meal Deal - Opinions please......

We got a B&B rate at Treasure and didn't purchase the meal plan. At lunch time we were happy to order something simple off the menu and we don't eat 3 course meals for dinner so it just didn't add up for us. If they can get a B&B rate - that's the most economical I think.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Meal Deal - Opinions please......

Hi, had a look at the website, FJD$127 per person for 5 days is $635, approx. AUD $344 (today's rates). For 5 days, I wouldn't purchase the meal plan

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Meal Deal - Opinions please......

Thanks Everyone !

Cath -- that link was great and Blaze, thanks for doing the maths for me :-)

Think, I'll pass along your replies and let them make the decision. I think just the B&B as Tez had sounds good.

Good idea Blaze to email the resort --- he has to book today to get this "Special", not sure if he has to make a decision today about the meal plan though.....

Just enjoyed reading your reviews Blaze and Tez -- pleased you liked Treasure. It seems a good choice for them as well.

He was told that the island isn't affected by the tides --- is this correct ????

I've looked up his dates in Jan and they're not very good tide wise ,,

Thanks again,

Julie.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Meal Deal - Opinions please......

Just doing some more maths.....the rate of $300 pp for 5 days, works out to average A$20 per meal pp.

Not bad really I suppose.....

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Meal Deal - Opinions please......

Hi Julie- the island is affected by the tide, remember that well!

I'm useless with maths but have a reliable calculator...

With the meal plan- they can always purchase it when they arrive, which is what we did. I was impressed with their meals and choices available, hope they have a great time

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,039 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Meal Deal - Opinions please......

Just check that the meal deal isn't for the buffet selection only. They have an a-la-carte menu which has really nice selections but you may have to pay extra??? You won't have to decide until you arrive unless you want to pre-pay. Obviously they shouldn't book the "meal deal" through the TA.....

Treasure has tides just like everywhere else in Fiji and the water is quite shallow at low tide. You can still go out through the boat channel & snorkel at low tide along the drop off and they have a pontoon off the island in a sandy patch to swim off but most people just hit the pools at low tide.

I'm sure they'll have a fabulous time but also let him know that there are costs associated with most water sports at Treasure including the kayaks. All the details are listed on their website.

Edited: 30 November 2011, 02:58
Sydney
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Meal Deal - Opinions please......

unless it's changed, the meal deal included either buffet or a la carte (lunch and dinner).

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Meal Deal - Opinions please......

Thanks for your help Blaze and Tez --- thought it would be affected by the tides.....( means I win the "discussion" !! ).

After your advice, he's not booking the meal plan - thanks again.

Julie.

Reply to: Meal Deal - Opinions please......
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Treasure Island