We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort upgrades

Vancouver, Canada
4 posts
Save Topic
Resort upgrades

Does anyone have any current information on how the upgrades on the bures are going and how far away are they from completing?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
121 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resort upgrades

Hi. I am going in a week but they have us booked in a 'old' bure. I asked to be put in an upgraded one but they have only finished 2 - and are waiting until they have finished 4 before allowing anyone to stay in them - although I have asked to stay in one of the upgraded ones. They are asking the ops manager at present so am hoping. They said they will have 4 done by Nov 1. Cheers, Stu

Vancouver, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Resort upgrades

I would be interested on how you make out with the bures and how much construction there is. We are currently booked for 10 days during the end of Nov so any info you can pass on would be greatly appreciated.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
121 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resort upgrades

Hi. Have spoke to them and all sounds OK. Can I ask - how much are you looking to pay? It's just that I got a great deal - but not directly. Cheers, Stu

Vancouver, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Resort upgrades

Yeah we got a pretty good deal also, thru a travel agent. I attributed it to the facts that it is shoulder season and there will be contruction while we are there.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
121 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Resort upgrades

Hi. We paid $2800 US for 5 nights via luxury link - and i think they are now offering even a little less. email me b4 u bid - if you decide to go that way - otherwise will let you know once I have been there. Cheers Stu

New Zealand
Level Contributor
121 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Resort upgrades

Hi Jetflier. Well, got home from Fiji Friday night. Re the upgrades / refurbished bures, they have finished 2 Bures and are about to finish 2 more. However it seems that it could be some time before they get to the rest. The Bures to rent are either 4 or 5 - they have aircon and private pools - the others do not (except for The Point and Pink House). This would be a real problem in rainy season (just starting - rained hard the last couple of nights when we were there but great the rest of the time). Also the other bures seem very dark (surrounded by trees that need cutting back) plus no aircon or pool (and the resort does not have its own pool). Note that another couple were in bure 15, but after the first night asked to shift to 5. They said if they could not have moved then they would have left the island.

You can request and confirm that you have one of the newly rennovated bures (we did) - we were in 4 but 5 is probably better as you can hear the tinkle of the 'food ready' bell from 4 as it is closer to the main restaurant. Still overall very quiet though.

I understand they are fully booked for November so get in your request now for a refurb Bure - and ask for them to confirm. Also, take bug repellant (they have some but we prefer our own) as mozzies are a real problem.

Overall great diving, food mostly very good (the red lobster thai curry was great) - a couple of small disapointments, house wine and beer (quite good quality - and a good larger wine menu) still included for free, lovely people, a great setting. The book and DVD library is very limited so take your own. Also, while staff missed a few room details occasionally they were rectified almost immediately.

Note that we got away for approx 30kgs each on the flight - and we left a bag at their Nadi office as well. I think the weight (15kgs) on the flights to Vatulele is depends on how many people are flying.

Finally, if you are expecting 5* Maldives or Asia then this place is not it - but it is very very good for Fiji and a beautiful place with lovely people. Also very hands on and helpful management who really focus on you having a great holiday.

Have a great trip.

Cheers

Stuart

Vancouver, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Resort upgrades

Thanks Stu, really appreciated the resort info.

8. Re: Resort upgrades

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 21:21
Get answers to your questions about Vatulele Island