We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vatulele or Yasawa? Help...!

san francisco
4 posts
Save Topic
Vatulele or Yasawa? Help...!

Hi.

Me, husband, and three kids, 10, 8, 8, are planning to travel to Fiji mid June, for 12 days. Can not decide between Vatulele and Yasawa!!!

We are looking for the nicest hotel, in regards to beach, snorkeling, coral and fish right off the beach of the hotel.

We want a nice, private bure, with view of beach and water, but still private.

Food needs to be great. Some activities, but still quiet.

Have done way too much research about both resorts, and still can't decide.

Both seem great. Both resorts have room for us, and are charging us the same price(!)

Here are my concerns:

Vatulele:

Seems like the better hotel of the two. But....

I wonder if we will miss having a pool, especially with three kids? On the other hand, the beach is always fun.

No spa, but I know they do massages in room. Are they good?

Does Vatulele take you to different beaches around the island like Yasawa does? Does it have a boat for day trips?

The only other guests are honeymooners when we'll be there.

Don't quite understand the dining situation.... Communal dining if you choose, but otherwise, you'll eat on your own, wherever you'd like?

Like where? Is there a restaurant where you'll sit down, and order food from a menu, with other dining guests at other tables? Or do you in that case eat on the beach, or in your bure?

From the photos, it seems like there is a very limited view from your bures, since there are a lot of trees and brush in front of them. How much of the beach and water do you see?

Yasawa:

Seems a little more run down, maybe? The photos on their website look amazing, but I saw some posted from a private trip, and the rooms and decks did not look that nice. But, I'm not sure.....!!

Seems like the surroundings of the beach at Yasawa are not as lush and tropical as Vatulele? Vatulele seem to have more palm trees and jungle, that I think is far more beautiful. Yasawa seems quite dry and arrid, maybe?

I hear some bad things about Yasawa, but not about Vatulele. The reviews about Yasawa seem to vary a lot.

What hotel has better snorkeling with more to see, right off the beach?

What hotel has better swimming right off the beach? No sharp rocks, coral, etc?

So, here are the pluses and minuses about each place, as it seems to me:

Vatulele's +'s:

Prettier, lusher island and surroundings.

Little bit nicer service, food etc.

Nicer bures.

Vatulele's -':

No pool.

No spa.

No other kids, at all, while we are there.

Hidden view of the beach from our bure?

No boat trips to other beaches?

Yasawa's +'s:

Pool.

Spa

Some kids. Hopefully not too many...:-)

Definitively view from bure.

Boat-beach trips.

Food at a restaurant.

Family time, with some kids at the resort. Maybe with some Kid activities?

Yasawa's -'s:

Just does not seem as nice as Vatulele....

Rooms less nice.

Surroundings dry and arrid?

Food not as nice.

I hear they do not have a blender. Can that be true? I will need a Pina Colada everyday....! :-)

We have travelled to many places in the South Pacific, with our kids, and they love it. We've been to Le Tahaa in Tahiti, Bora Bora, Cook Islands, Pacific Resort in Aitutaki, etc. They don't need kid activities planned by the hotel, and seem perfectly happy with snorkel gear, kayaks etc. Still, one or two other kids would be great.

If Vatulele had a pool, I think we would book that hotel.

If Yasawa had better reviews regarding cleanliness etc, and more exotic landscape, I think we would book that hotel.

Help! I am going crazy!!! I can't even tell you how much I would appreciate your input in this matter.

Need to decide this in the next day, or two.... Thanks!

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,025 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vatulele or Yasawa? Help...!

Vatulele no comparisson.

2. Re: Vatulele or Yasawa? Help...!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 July 2010, 11:00
Bathurst, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Viti Levu, Treasure Island, Sonaisali Island, Nadi
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vatulele or Yasawa? Help...!

Please see my other post as your questions appear twice on the forum. Really you could choose either and be happy!

Sydney
Level Contributor
144 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Vatulele or Yasawa? Help...!

Vatulele is heaven, but not sure where you are planning to put 3 kids as each Bure (on the beach with stunning sea views) has one King bed and is open plan.

Didn't know they'd now opened up the resort to kids, was a honeymooners paradise when we were there.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,025 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vatulele or Yasawa? Help...!

Not many of the top end resorts take children but have a look at Vomo or Jean Michel Cousteau Resort. The latter offers everything you are looking for.

Fiji
Level Contributor
469 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vatulele or Yasawa? Help...!

Your poor kids will be bored to tears at a honeymooners resort (not to mention, they won't exactly feel welcome by the other guests...) I wouldn't exactly call Yasawa "run down". It is probably more rustic compared to Vatulele, but by no means shabby. I would pick yasawa over vatulele because they cater for the kids in school holidays (i.e. there will be other kids there that they can play with and there will be structured activities). Other kid friendly resorts with gorgeous rooms and fantastic food include Vomo and Jean Michel Cousteau. As for the crazy blender story? I would seriously doubt the validity of this. Don't believe everything you read : )

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vatulele or Yasawa? Help...!

Vatulele does not accept children. Same goes for Yasawa except for certain weeks of the year. Only upper end property for families is Cousteau Resort.(Henry Crawford - ex-owner Vatulele

8. Re: Vatulele or Yasawa? Help...!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2009, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Vatulele Island