We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Octopus Resort Questions?

Alaska
Level Contributor
228 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Octopus Resort Questions?

I'm starting to think that we will get bored at some of the resorts. I'm looking to expand our activities. I was looking at some flickr photos, and just loved this one that I found of Waya island http://www.flickr.com/photos/71377087@N00/1385026726/ . I would LOVE to do this hike, if just for this photo opp. This looks like a larger island and might keep us busier.

1. Does Octopus provide kayaks?

2. Does Octopus allow fly fishing from shore, or wade-fishing? Do they allow fishing from kayaks? We'd bring our own tackle.

3. The Point and Poppy Lodge bures look nice and have A/C. Has anyone stayed here? Can you tell me about the layout? Are these multiple units in one building, or are all separate? If they are together, were there any noise issues? Are children allowed in these rooms? Are these rooms secluded from the main resort area?

4. How is the pool? Clean, hopefully?

5. Do we have access to explore the entire island, or are some areas off limits?

6. From the photos on Flickr and on TA, this resort looks pretty nice. Is it rustic / shabby up close?

7. How is the food? Are there many menu choices?

8. Is the resort quiet? Or is this a party all night resort? We don't drink / party, and don't want to be disrupted by a nightclub next door.

This is a much lower price resort than the others on our list, but meets some of our demands. The Yasawas seem to be better for fishing because of more lagoon areas. I like that this is a larger island, and think we would have more to do. I don't like being confined to a small resort area. But I am leery of the "backpacker resort". Please tell me of your experience.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,049 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Octopus Resort Questions?

The photo - as you might have guessed - is on a quite strenuous hike - need reasonable shoes. The shoreline below is where the local village Nalauwaki is - and Octopus is on the other side of the peninsular.

Answers to your questions:

1. Yes

2. Absolutely not - the area in front of the resort is a marine reserve. You could go on a boat fishing trip though.

3. Haven't stayed in either, but have seen in Poppys. Adjacent to restaurant but relations who stayed in them said noise didn't bother them. Have seen some reviews that said they were annoyed by noise though. Point bures newly built & off to one side. Don't think you would be bothered by noise there. Children - yes.

4. Sparkling! Not big, deep in middle so not ideal for children but shallower steps at one end.

5. The island terrain can be tricky - volcanic with bluffs and fissures, so they will take you on walks with a guide. No problem walking around coastline but at low tide as water comes up over rocks at high tide.

6. Definitely not shabby, well maintained and very clean.

7. Food fantastic. Choices at breakfast & lunch, dinner is set menu, but often barbecue type so you get to choose what you put on your plate.

8. Quiet. They do have a "party night" but it's not loud & most people seem to head to bures by 10pm. Local singing, no loud banging type music! No nightclubs (no nothing!) next door.

This is not a "backpacker" place if you are thinking of hordes of young party-goers. Lots of couples, families, but room to spread out so you are not in the middle of a crowd all the time. We have been going there every year for 14 years & now are joined by family every year - good for all age groups. If you'd like to see photos post an email address here. Great snorkelling, village trips, kayaks, boat trips, walks - enough to keep anyone busy!

Alaska
Level Contributor
228 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Octopus Resort Questions?

Thanks very much, TaiMarilyn! I just sent you a PM with my email.

For all other viewing this resort selection drama, I just received a really great rate from Octopus, I'm very tempted to go with them.

One more question, is the dining communal, sharing tables with other guests? If so, can we request a private table?

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,049 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Octopus Resort Questions?

Will send photos today.

Tables in dining room are 8 seater. There is a photo in my album of the dining room but taken with the old tables in place.

Last year we had a large family group so managed to sit 10 of us round a table & were able to "reserve" one to do so. Depends on numbers - if there are less than 8 of you & every other seat in the dining room is taken then you would have to share.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,049 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Octopus Resort Questions?

Just had another thought about tables - there are smaller tables out by the pool - you could ask for one of those but they are not set for dinner usually.

Pacific Harbour...
Level Contributor
345 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Octopus Resort Questions?

Hi!....When you reply the music is not banging type music but mostly guitars...does that mean the Meke is not wild either? We love the more exciting displays of Meke...I guess it would be on friday nights....If Octopus is low-key please let us know because my teenagers would be dissapointed. Thanks!

Leicester UK
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Octopus Resort Questions?

Id love to know how low key Octpus is because me and a mate both 22, although not going to party every night would be very bored if we had to be in bed by 10pm.

Is this a place maybe to miss as so far we have booked two islands and only have one left to book.

Thanks

sydney,Australia
Level Contributor
56 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Octopus Resort Questions?

I would say that Octopus is quite low key and chilled in the evenings. When I was there the resort was fully booked but at night there was only a few people having drinks at and around the bar in the evenings. Sometimes some of the Fijians would play some guitars which was nice. I keep seeing it described as a "backpacker resort" but it really isn't like that. We are in our 40's and there were other guests older and younger than us. It was a nice mix of people. The island is beautiful and we had a great time there. Also they will deliver a cappucino to your bure at whatever time you would like so every morning I would lie in my hammock drinking my coffee. Very civilized!!

Bellevue, Washington
Level Contributor
86 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Octopus Resort Questions?

Hi Fishrack -

I agree with TaiMarilyn's comments.

We were part of a group of 10, aged 50-85. We all had a wonderful time.

We stayed in Poppy's #4 - it is the farthest Poppy's unit from the pool/restaurant area. (The 4 Poppy's units are attached like a string of 4 motel rooms.) The Point had not been built yet.

We had absolutely no noise problems, but were running the A/C. I can't say if we would have heard anything without the A/C except the surf. The Poppy's units really accommote only two - they may have roll-away beds they could bring in to provide for one child (not sure if you wanted rooms for kids or not).

There were usually a dozen or more menu choices each day, plus specials and we thought it was the best food we've had in Fiji (several trips so far).

We saw them cleaning the pool every morning - the entire resort seems very well maintained. We liked Octopus (but were glad to have the air conditioning) and hope you will like it too.

Cindy

Bellevue, Washington
Level Contributor
86 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Octopus Resort Questions?

I should have said that dinner was a set meal for everyone - but they were very accommodating. Just let them know if you don't like or can't eat something. One in our party was gluten intolerant and they took great care of him. Also, there were many course to the dinner so we could eat what we liked. It really wasn't a problem for us.

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Octopus Resort Questions?

It is a great resort with really helpfull and friendly staff and managers especially if you get to chat to them. The resort if a mixture of all ages and it seems to work, Saturday night is a great fun night as is the quiz night, it is def worth a visit, even the younger ones had great fun and our daughter met a lot of young people that she is going to keep in touch with and they had fun doing their own things together, however this is not a party party island. A lot of the younger people said it was one of the best resorts they had stayed on. However everyone is different and we all look for different things form a holiday etc.