We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alcohol Prices at Nadi Duty Free and Yee's Market at Denarau

Oregon
Level Contributor
125 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Alcohol Prices at Nadi Duty Free and Yee's Market at Denarau

We just returned from the Yasawas. We wanted to purchase some vodka before we got on the Yasawa Flyer for our 9 day vacation in the Yasawas.

When we landed in Nadi we purchased 2 bottles of Smirnoff lemon vodka (750 ml each) for FJD 79.00 at one of the duty free shops in the airport. Yes, 2 bottles for FJD 79.00.

When we got to the Denarau Marina we went in to Yee's Market to look at prices and the same bottle of vodka was FJD 140.00.

Now comes the tricky part. We did not notice until later than the vodka from duty free was only 37 percent alcohol. In other words it had been diluted and rebottled.

We did not remember to check if the vodka at Yee's Market was diluted. When we returned to the Marina on the Yasawa Flyer it was raining so hard all the sidewalks and parking lots were flooded.

Regardless, we were perfectly satisfied with the diluted vodka, we still had half a bottle left when we were ready to leave, and I think it worked out to be a better deal.

Sue

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alcohol Prices at Nadi Duty Free and Yee's Market at Denarau

Hi Lionfish

Thanks for this piece of info. We were thinking of getting some alcohol duty free once we land to take with us to the resort. Will have to read the labels carefully!!

I agree...think you still got a good deal :)

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,674 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alcohol Prices at Nadi Duty Free and Yee's Market at Denarau

Like most spirits you can get it in different strengths of alcohol if you wanted stronger you would have found it at the duty free store but it would have been more expensive.

Hervey Bay...
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alcohol Prices at Nadi Duty Free and Yee's Market at Denarau

Thats good info to know Lionfish.

So just out of interest, what do all other travellers recommend. Is it better/cheaper buying in your country of departure (for me Australia) or buying upon arrival at Nadis Duty Free for the same item. Which is cheaper?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
262 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alcohol Prices at Nadi Duty Free and Yee's Market at Denarau

Personally, I prefer to buy in country (australia), as I have had a bad experience with pushy staff in Fiji. Typically, when booking flights, I allow more than enough time to relax and go shopping between flights.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alcohol Prices at Nadi Duty Free and Yee's Market at Denarau

Yes they seem very pushy........standing outside the entrance trying to make you come in a buy something. Do they have the same range as in Australia?? Also is it much cheaper??

Bathurst, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Viti Levu, Treasure Island, Sonaisali Island, Nadi
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alcohol Prices at Nadi Duty Free and Yee's Market at Denarau

I on many of my trips buy the duty free in sydney before i depart the shop in fiji on arrivals is rather small and i just happy to get it in sydney and then make my way straight out of Nadi airport to my transport. On the way home though i always buy my duty free from Nadi airport everytime and i must say i have never had any complaints always been good any yes very cheap! I have bought alcohol from Denarau but mostly from the supermarket in Nadi across the road from Jacks store and i have not had any problems doing this either. I must say though Denarau prices are hicked up rather a large amount compared to other places something to watch out for in the future! Am off in a couple of weeks and will going to all the above mentioned places so will have a look and see about the %ages! Regards

7. Re: Alcohol Prices at Nadi Duty Free and Yee's Market at Denarau

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2010, 04:17