We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sof white beach

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
15 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Sof white beach

Hi,

My girlfriend and me are planning a one week stay in Fiji, staying at Sofitel Denerau, as part of our RTW-trip in august 2013.

While browsing travelguides and websites we came across some beautiful beaches in the Yasawas and now are looking for the best options for a one or two day trip.

We would prefer a secluded deep whitesand beach above mass tourism but it seems that most of these beaches can only be found in the northern part of the chain. Famous Champagne beach at Yasawa island seemed as the perfect place but since we would go by boat (Yasawa Flyer) which doesn't go this far, and the only resort here has airtransport but seems a bit out of reach budgetwise we are looking for a similar alternative.

Thequestions we have are:

* Are there similar beaches in the southern part of the chain, suitable for a one day trip? ( max 3 hours, one way with YF)

* Can we hop off the Flyer at any chosen island or are reservationns required? (private resort islands)

*If we would opt for a northern island (north of Waya island), is it possible to find accomodations for one night?

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks already

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
1,991 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sof white beach

The Flyer will drop you at any resort, but you will have to make reservations ahead. The further north you go means longer boat travel time, (Flyer leaves Denarau at 8.30am daily) - for example it gets to Octopus at 11am, Blue Lagoon Beach Resort around 12.45pm. I love both those resorts, but think that BLBR does have the better beach. You might find they have 2 night minimum - not sure about that though. In between those two is Botaira, you can do day trips on the Flyer to both Octopus and Botaira but it doesn't give you much time on the beach (return trip picks up from Octopus around 3pm) - obviously Octopus will allow you a longer time ashore.

You are right about the sand being finer and whiter the further north you go in the Yasawas. I once stayed on Yasawa-i-rara - the sand was just like salt. But it is a mission to get there.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sof white beach

A few things:

1. You need more than 1 or 2 days in the Yasawas. It takes several hours to get to by boat (the furthest island is about 6 hours by boat), and not Champagne beach (whilst a public beach per se) is not accessible by anyone but the guests of Yasawa Island Resort. Captain Cook Cruises head slightly north near Yawini Island for a day on their cruises, but even so it's not 1-2 days.

I've been to Champagne beach though... WOW it's a jaw dropper!

This all REALLY depends on budget though. Depending on that budget I'd consider one ot two days at Denerau and the rest at somewhere in the Mamanucas (Lomani / Matamanoa / Tokoriki) pending budget.

All are adults only resorts, and have pretty good beaches and are budgeted respectively with their ratings as resorts.

Matamanoa is cheapest, then Lomani, then Tokoriki (which is classed as a luxury resort).

If Yasawa Island Resort is out of budget, Tokoriki may still be in it if you opt for a Deluxe Beach Bure (which is very nice!), but it compares to Yasawas pricing for a Sunset Pool Villa (worth the extra money but equal on budget).

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,663 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sof white beach

Have a look at Viwa Island resort it has that soft whlte talc type sand and a beautiful lagoon. Probably the best beach I have been on it Fiji. None of the islands in the Mamanucas have this soft white sand. The only other in the Yasawas was at the very top of Yasawa Island. Thre are many lovely beaches in the islands but the soft talc type is hard to find.

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,337 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sof white beach

Viwa is a private island resort with a beautiful beach. They only allowed guests when we were there. It would be possible to get reservations for a night or two. Takes about 2 hours on the Yasawa Flyer to get to Octopus Resort where you will be picked up by a boat from Viwa to take you to the island.

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sof white beach

Unfortunately Viwa is in the track map of Cyclone Evan, so I hope that everyone there is safe in the next 72 hours.

Noticed traveller wants to go in August 2013 which is a good month weatherwise to travel.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,663 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sof white beach

All should be well by then.

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
15 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sof white beach

Thanks for al the usefull tips.

I've checked the resort websites and we'll probably opt for a one night stay at Blue Lagoon resort or the two night stay at Nanuya Beach Resort.

Does anyone know if there's a maxium allowance concerning luggage on the Flyer?

Since we are on a RTW-trip we will probably be carrying about 23 kg each.

We would stay at Sofitel Denerau before and after going to the Yasawa's so it might be easier to leave our bags at the hotel or at a locker in Deneru Marina and take a smaller bag with us. Would this be possible?

Thanks again for all the tips, really helps a lot.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
1,991 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sof white beach

You will be fine with that amount of luggage on the Flyer.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,663 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sof white beach

We love Nanuya smaller and quieter than Blue Lagoon and the food is fantastic. Right on the famed Blue Lagoon. The treetop bures are very different.

10. Re: Sof white beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 06:17