We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BLR, Paradise Cove or Octopus

Echuca, Australia
Level Contributor
753 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
BLR, Paradise Cove or Octopus

I thought I'd decided on BLR for our trip (in 2015) BUT after more reading last night I am now slightly confused. Mainly for adults but we will probably have a couple of 15-18 year olds too.

I read BLR takes 4+hours by boat & Octopus 2 1/2? Can somebody confirm this please. I know the boat trip is a great way to see all the islands but I for one have been seasick getting to Amunuca Island in the Mamanucas before (I have discovered Kwells since then!!). The bonus was we stayed put for the whole week, I wasn't getting on any boat until I had to!!!!

Pros & cons of each resort:

Things like accom styles (family rooms), snorkelling, activities (to really show our friends what Fiji is all about), if not staying at BLR can you do trips to the cave from other resorts.

Many thanks & I am sure I will have more questions.

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: BLR, Paradise Cove or Octopus

We travelled to BLBR last September by the flyer and had a great trip. BLBR is a fantastic place to stay, heaven in earth. It is a long trip but I would do it again.We stayed in a Beach villa, water lapping at our toes when we got out of bed, uummm. We have just booked 7 nights at Paradise Cove in December and are going by the flyer again and home on the resort boat. After staying at BLBR i have high expectations of PC.

BLBR has a pool now, an added bonus...

Edited: 05 November 2013, 02:09
Mentioned in this post
Paradise Cove Resort
Paradise Cove Resort
795 Reviews
Naukacuvu Island, Fiji
Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: BLR, Paradise Cove or Octopus

We travelled to BLBR last September by the flyer and had a great trip. BLBR is a fantastic place to stay, heaven in earth. It is a long trip but I would do it again.We stayed in a Beach villa, water lapping at our toes when we got out of bed, uummm. We have just booked 7 nights at Paradise Cove in December and are going by the flyer again and home on the resort boat. After staying at BLBR i have high expectations of PC.

BLBR has a pool now, an added bonus...

Mentioned in this post
Paradise Cove Resort
Paradise Cove Resort
795 Reviews
Naukacuvu Island, Fiji
Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,616 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: BLR, Paradise Cove or Octopus

Paradise Cove lovely resort very windy with rain a times when we were there. Nowhere to go to escape the wind except the pool/dining area but lots of young couple with toddlers in this area, need an adults only pool badly. Beach nice passage has strong current so need to keep close to shore has heaps of potential, food good but spicy, staff amazing, accommodation nice but noisy when kids in the kids club. Still prefer the more Fijian feel of Octopus depends what sort of holiday you are looking for.

Mentioned in this post
Paradise Cove Resort
Paradise Cove Resort
795 Reviews
Naukacuvu Island, Fiji
Echuca, Australia
Level Contributor
753 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: BLR, Paradise Cove or Octopus

I had to revisit this thread!

Dilemma is I am squeezing in an 8 night trip end of Feb with a lady I work with. We had booked for First Landing (pay on arrival so have the option to cancel - hence my deliberation).

Octopus - Pros & Cons as am maybe going there instead. It is the closest in the Yasawas, or out of the 3 resorts in this topic? Specific room options, we are happy to share as long as the room has some space so recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks so much, I really value these opinions.

i am Saving Blue Lagoon til Sep 2015 (my 50th)

Mentioned in this post
First Landing Beach Resort & Villas
First Landing Beach...
872 Reviews
Viti Levu, Fiji
Blue Lagoon Beach Resort
Blue Lagoon Beach Resort
1,475 Reviews
Nacula Island, Fiji
The Entrance...
Level Contributor
505 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: BLR, Paradise Cove or Octopus

Yes it is the closest out of the three, quick trip, especially if you take the resort boat, but from what I understand PC is very close by.

We stayed in the point villa (2 adults/2 kids) and my Mum stayed in a garden bure. If I was headed there again I would go for the cheaper room type. The reason why we chose the more expensive was because at BLBR we really felt we needed the beachfront room as they had hammocks and beach chairs allocated and there were not many communal areas to sit (from what I understand that has changed now) and we were a group of 8. We felt it may be the same situation at Octopus but it was not an issue as there is plenty of room around the pool and beach with shade and chairs. We really didn't spend a whole lot of time in our room, especially as the point villas are the furthest away from restaurant/pool etc though the outdoor bathrooms are delightful! The garden bure offer plenty of space for 2 IMO. Enjoy your trip!

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,174 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: BLR, Paradise Cove or Octopus

Look at booking a Premium Garden bure or Beachfront bure. These have a covered verandah with comfortable chairs, in effect an outdoor sitting area. Beachfront will also have own beach loungers. These rooms have a Queen size bed and a single bed - when I shared with a friend we swapped beds halfway through our stay. Point bures are lovely, with more room, but also more expensive, so it depends what your budget runs to.

Echuca, Australia
Level Contributor
753 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: BLR, Paradise Cove or Octopus

Thanks for the feedback, leaning towards booking a garden bure but a bit worried it will be too hot at night to sleep with only a ceiling fan. What transfers did you use? I'm trying to find costs of The Flyer (I just want the shortest & the smoothest trip.

The Entrance...
Level Contributor
505 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: BLR, Paradise Cove or Octopus

I used the resort boat, it was short, just over an hour but I wouldnt describe it as smooth. I chose it over the flyer as I get quite seasick and prefer the short, fast (if a little bumpy) ride over the longer flyer trip with lots of stops as it is the rolling movement on the stops that cause my problem.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,174 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: BLR, Paradise Cove or Octopus

We've always found the ceiling fan adequate, but I do keep the window louvres open as well (they are screened on the outside so no bugs can get in). Make sure it's a Premium Garden bure to get the verandah - and ask for one on the southern side of the resort - closer to the beach and more chance of a breeze.

With the resort boat now doing 2 trips a day you are more likely to be able to get out to the island on the day you arrive, without an overnight in Nadi. The afternoon boat leaves at 2pm, so as long as your flight gets in by around midday you would be ok to catch that - the resort arranges a taxi van to meet you at the airport.

Mentioned in this post
Nadi
Nadi
Viti Levu, Fiji
20. Re: BLR, Paradise Cove or Octopus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2015, 05:17