We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice About Hotels

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Advice About Hotels

Hello! My fiance and are getting married next year and have our hearts set on Fiji for our honeymoon. I went once when I was a little girl to Turtle Island (during a family week) and Vomo Island and have some great memories, although it was smack in the middle of monsoon season, which obviously is not ideal. Rained most of the time.

Based on all of my research, it looks like the Yasawas make the most sense for us...we want great beaches, warm clear water, and tons of privacy. A place that offers private island picnics is a must as well (not sure which one is the best though). We are not looking to have a nightlife on our honeymoon - we want the peace and quiet. We like upscale places but I don't need to be spoiled rotten or have 24 hour butler service. Just something clean and comfortable will suffice. I care way more about the beach. My biggest question is...which hotel in the Yasawas has the best beach for swimming right off the sand? My fantasy is literally just walking right into the water and hanging out in clear water until I need a break. I was leaning towards Yasawa Island Resort (given I'd been to Turtle), but I read some reviews that mentioned wave activity and rockiness that makes it possible to swim right off the sand. That gives me pause. Also, is it common for YIR to have family weeks in mid-September? That is when we would like to go, but I really don't want to go to a place with small children. Total deal breaker for my honeymoon. I'm pretty familiar with the prices of the hotels, so that isn't a major factor. Would love great value, but I know what things cost.

Vatulele is a wildcard (looks absolutely breathtaking from the photos), but it seems more expensive than some of the hotels in the Yasawas, and i'm not crazy about being so close to Vitu Levu. i love the idea of being somewhere so remote.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Are my concerns about YIR unfounded?

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
2,287 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice About Hotels

Hi,

Congratulations on the up coming wedding.

Mid September is School Holiday time for Australia and New Zealand, so I would look more closely at what resorts are either child free or limit the kids (ie: no kids under 12 permitted.)

Please I hope you don't think that I am trying to pour cold water on honeymoon plans but an ounce of prevention, Oh you know the rest. My wife and I avoid our school holiday times religiously, even when our now adult children were travelling with us we would avoid it.

Baz

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,147 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice About Hotels

In school holidays there are a few adults only resorts. Navutu Stars, and Viwa along with the more expensive

Yasawa Island Resort and Turtle Island Resort. All have stunning beaches and offer privacy. In the Mamanucas, Tokoriki Island Resort is well worth considering. I would check the web sites for these resorts and the Reviews of them on this site.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice About Hotels

Thank you for the advice! I have checked out Navutu Stars and am considering it, but I have heard that there are serious issues with the swimability of the beach due to the tides (and that is my number one criteria). There seems to be wave activity at Yasawa Island Resort - but is it easy to swim there?

I'm not quite as familiar with Viwa...and I believe it was just purchased?

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,560 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice About Hotels

Fiji is tidal. There will be waves and tides regardless of where you go. They occur naturally. Waves mostly depend on how windy it is. Takes approximately 7 hours for the tide to go out and come back in. We have been able to snorkel off the beach everyday at resorts we have stayed at.

We always check the tide charts before going to insure we can snorkel off the beach in the morning/early afternoon. They are more extreme, if there is a full or new moon.

Stayed at Viwa several years and enjoyed our stay. Children over 12 are allowed. There were none during our stay as we went off season and outside the Australia/New Zealand school holidays. It is a very small resort, so you won't be overrun with them, if there are any.

The beach has long, soft, white sand, and crystal clear turquoise water. Being a lagoon, it is sheltered from the wind.

The bures are ok, but nothing fancy. They are very close together, so not much privacy. You can see, and talk to people from your deck. They also don't have an outdoor shower, which we missed. The bathroom is very narrow with stairs leading down to it

Yasawa Island Resort is know to have one the best beaches. It is a favorite of regular poster, Mitch007. He has been there twice. Once on his honeymoon. He has also been to Tokoriki.

Would sent him a private message in case he doesn't see your posting. Am sure he will be happy to answer any questions you have.

The following link has pictures of our vacation to Viwa. Will give you an idea of the beach, bure, resort grounds, tours, etc.

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-0758-63f0-a16d…

Hope this helps.

5. Re: Advice About Hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Yasawa Islands