We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

warning to foreigners

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
key west fl
Level Contributor
107 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
warning to foreigners

Just returned from Shanghai and was unable to stroll Nanjing Road to the Bund. Every few steps I was accosted by aggressive people selling watches and handbags, I have no idea what they were up to and sought solace in an ice cream parlor.I went back to the safety of my hotel and ventured out again only to return to the airport. I am a world traveler and have never been so disturbed anywhere!

England
Level Contributor
318 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: warning to foreigners

I also just returned. Found that a firm NO allowed us to walk past people selling things.

I agree that this sales approach is irritating - and most unlikely to get you to buy anything - but I wouldn't let it put people off going to Shanghai. We had a fantastic couple of days there.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: warning to foreigners

Hi just too bad that this approach had created a phobia in u.But i wonder whether u had overreacted as it sounds like a hellish nightmare or worse,evn demons dont sound so frightening.I think u had said u r a globe trekker but u had not encountered this b4,well i really wonder.?I had been to a number of places in India n Africa too,places like Madras n Calcutta,thre r many hands tugging at yr shirts or dress as u walk along.They r not sellers tryng to sell u things but beggars!!!young n old some only small children n ming u if u give a rupiah to 1 u would be surprise there will be another 100 rushing at u for more.Even at the airport once u come out at least 3 porter will be trying to grab yr bag to carry for u to earn a measrely sum,sometimes u need to shout or a bit stern if not u will need to pay all of them.All these happen in many countries too.So what im trying to say is Shanghai has its bunch of little petty problems too.Its just how u handle it n them.They r certainly not criminals or rapist or snatch thieves that warrant such a overblown retort from u.Its just too bad u r so allergic to them.Shamghai does not claim to be the best city or a paradise city but it is definately among the safest city in the world whereby the crime rate u very low.U need not worry been mobbed or there will be strikes n stone throwing or water cannons like that.I hope u would be more tolerant b open minded as to see some good side of Shanghai n not only 1 experience n make u rushed back to the plane ON YR WAY HOME TO PARADISE.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: warning to foreigners

Also beware of the cyclos rider in Vietnam.They wil say it is up to u pn the payment or they maight say a certain amount but remember after a 15 mins ride dont be surprise that they will threaten n demand 1000 times higher than the agreed sum.It has caught many foreigners offguard n many paid just dont want to create a fracas.Imagine a 500000 dong for a 15 mins ride.At least u dont get this in Shanghai.The tips they demand is just exorbitant in VNam.U dont need to give tips in Shanghai n its not a norm or habit in Shanghai.this u can rest assured u pay only what u need to.Solve a lot of headache later on.I feel that u need to get to know what a city is by blending with the locals there n to learn their culture rather than running away to back home.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: warning to foreigners

I experienced the same thing in Shanghi and Bejing. (Especially Bejing.) It was a nuisance. My tour partner then used her guide-book to find the Chinese word for no. (Don't ask me what it is. This was a year ago.) Then, when they approached, we would say "No!" and they scattered. Sometimes they would say thank you and then leave.

It was also important to not seem at all interested in the merchandise. Don't look at the merchandise or try to engage them in conversation. Just say no and move on. They are just trying to make a living.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,751 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: warning to foreigners

Nanjing road is not a great place. No locals shop there. But it is not that bad, when I walk from one end to the other I may be bothered 6-7 times. The solutions are not to make eye contact and ignore them. the other is to say "bu yao!" (I don't want - in Chinese) - pronounced - boo ya-ow. saying NO does not work as well.

Frankly, I am more concerned about pickpockets there.

SF
Level Contributor
501 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: warning to foreigners

Just ignore them, they just trying to sell fake Prada or Gucci to foreigners. That is sure annoying, I only saw a few around Parkson department store over HuaiHai Road.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
395 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: warning to foreigners

Isophia.

I looked at your travel map and would'nt class you as a "world traveller", and your experience of Asia is limited to Thailand, Beijing and Shanghai. What you encountered on Nanjing lu is, at worst, annoying. Beggars and deformed children tugging at your clothes in Mumbai is more disturbing. I suggest that if you are so easily upset you avoid future travel to Asia and Africa.

key west fl
Level Contributor
107 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: warning to foreigners

I live in Key west FL where we have had troubles with visitors [cruise ship passengers] being disturbed by pan handlers and folks selling products from palms leaves....tourists have felt intimidated and we have enacted laws that are enforced to make out precious[our main income is tourism] tourists want to return to our beautiful island.

Thank you for your responses.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,765 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: warning to foreigners

They are not that agressive and you knew exactly what they are up to - trying to sell you things. Guys, after dark, can get other offers. Personally I found Paris more annoying for tricksters/beggars and Sydney more uncomfortable with people wanting "change for a train ticket". An annoyance, yes, but nothing that should make you feel unsafe.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,874 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: warning to foreigners

We're going on a China tour in October which includes Shanghai.

We've run the gauntlet of would-be-sellers in numerous places, including Patpong in Bangkok, souks in Cairo & Tunisia and beach sellers in Goa so isophia's post does not worry me, although I do appreciate that aggressive selling can be a disturbing experience for some people.

I think the advice of not showing interest is excellent.

Over our years of travelling, I've developed the trick of assessing something that's just been thrust under my nose without seeming to show any interest at all.

We find that a smile and shake of the head usually gets the message across.