We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping Updates may 2008

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping Updates may 2008

Hey all, since you all have great advice I thought I would ask.

I searched around for some UPDATED shopping news and it seems a little dated.

I will be in Shanghai in a couple weeks and need to know your opinions on Shopping, Clothes..knock offs Jewelry. Im reading that the Fakes market has gone away?

Opinions on Bargaining??

Thanks again for great advice

V

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping Updates may 2008

Hi if u r looking for genuine n more of branded items look at Huai hai zhong lu.There r many shopping malls there with the latest like Times square,Shanghai Square,Hongkong plaza,Lippo complex,New HK plaza,Hualien,Parkson..For cheaper n local goods at Nanjing dong lu.At Xujiahui u have 2 shopping malls in 1 area,selling a mixture of branded n local products.For fakes the market at Xiangyang had shifted to the subway station at Scince n technology centre.Also u can get similar products with good bargain at Hongqiao International pearl city.This market also available at 585 Nanjing xilu.At Yuyuan mostly local handicrafts,clothes n antiques u need to bargain hard cos almost everyone there r tourists.If u still want much cheaper n knock off prices im afraid u need to travel toYiwu.about 2n half hour away.

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,546 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping Updates may 2008

You will find some fabulous shopping centers in downtown Shanghai, but the prices are just as fabulous, as in the highest price ranges. There is a luxury tax in China on high-end imported goods.

The fake market in the Technology Museum subway stop has been there for well over a year. Get off the subway and go up to the ticket exit level, both sides of the station. There are some very good buys, forgetting labels and concentrating on craftsmanship and materials.

Shop like a Shanghainese and go to Carrefours, the large big-box French discounter. You will find a whole array of Chinese products from jasmine tea to silk comforters to tea china sets. Pay native prices, not tourist prices.

London, United...
Level Contributor
604 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping Updates may 2008

What would be a reasonable price scale one should pay for silk comforter and tea set? I have thought about buying both while I am in China at the end of the month.

Thanks for your advice ;)

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping Updates may 2008

Woh..it depends largely on the quality that u have in mind.It could range from few hundred to thousand Rmb.,so it depends on yr choice.A very high quality could fetch up to 4 to 6 thousand Rmb for a complete set.For tea set also depends on the quality n brand.Some r genuinely made by mastercraftsman so its branded n espensive.A cheap set can be only a 50 to 200 Rmb but if its a rare 1 could fetch a high price.U need to be quite a expert on tea set to see if its of the top quality type so u should not be conned.Many features to look into n the type of material n what sort of tea u intend to brew in it.So it all varies.These r generally the prices u get in emporium which do not offer discounts but if u intend to get outside where u need a strong bargaining power n a astute mind as to the quality the price can vary tremendouly a lot.maybe u should go arond n see the prices offered att emporium first before embarking on the shops outside n look for the similar items n get a much cheaper price as compared.Then in this way u know u r not shortchanged.Plese bargain a lot if u shop outside cos there is a wide margin of bargaining.Then u can be happy with a worthy purchase.Tea sets can be bought at YuYuan ,Tea shops,antiques shops,emporiums.Do not buy it hastily,shop around first as i find the prices vary too much from 1 area to the next.for the same item.

London, United...
Level Contributor
604 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping Updates may 2008

Thanks for your advice bennystar99.

I am rather looking both as a souvenir/gift to myself so there is no need for them to be rare, very high quality or even top brand. However, I do intend to use both of them so I will be looking something that I actually like, the design especially with Tea Set of course is therefore important. Also, I am in no hurry to buy them from the first place I see them, thus I will take your advice to compare prices and hopefully I will manage to bargain a good price ;)

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping Updates may 2008

Hi actually ther r many tea sets in various shapes sizes n prices in YuYuan.As for the varieties u need not have to look elsewhere for convenience sake.Only as i had reminded pls alsh the price they offered at least by half.U can work out from there.The vendors r used to this thus their offer prices in the beginning is often much higher.Dont worry about bargaining they will admire u for yr bargaining skills.I really dont see the need to look elsaewhere for teasets as in yr case as there r numerous teasets shops in Yuyuan.Only be careful with the prices.A average set complete is about 500 RMB with colorful dragons n phoenix designs.These r the most soughtafter complete with the tea pot,6 cups,n a tea plate.Make sure they dont miss giving u a complete set.If only i piece of the tea pot average can get about 20 to80 Rmbfor a normal quite fashionable one.For a complete set of comfortable ther r many along Nanjing donglu at the First bedding store n also at the New world city shopping mall.I had bought a very good set complete with booster,4 pillow covers,comforter n bed spread with beatifully embroidery n the quality is really good so soft to the touch n finest quality even after 3 yrs it still looks as new.,cost me about 4000Rmb i have not regretted buying it.Its worth it.There r many different price range from a few hundred to 6000.So depends on u n they come with 20 percent discount when i bought it.Also come in a beatiful set case so it s not a problem bringing it home by cargo for u in the plane.

London, United...
Level Contributor
604 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping Updates may 2008

bennystar99, thanks again for a detailed information.

Much appreciated!!!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping Updates may 2008

wow thanks a ton for the great INFO

It is very much appreciated. I especially like the great gift ideas.

thanks

V

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping Updates may 2008

Most welcome n have fun in Shanghai!!!Enjoy!!!

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,546 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping Updates may 2008

At Carrefours expect to pay from 400 yuan to almost 800 yuan for silk comforter filling, which is priced at "silk factory showroom" for over 1,200 and up. Same weight and quality as far as I could tell.

There is no bargaining at Carrefours, Ikea, Walmart and the rest. You pay what the natives pay, not what the group tour buses encourage you to pay at their "shopping stops." Avoid those at all costs for anything, except perhaps a bottle of water.