We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel near Olympic Stadium

Auckland
Level Contributor
65 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel near Olympic Stadium

Hi could someone advise me on hotels near the olympic stadium. Well be spending 5 days in Shanghai.

Thanks

Bahrain
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel near Olympic Stadium

There is a hotel right opposite the Shanghai Stadium and its the Hua Ting Hotel. The hotel is good and is recommended and is right across the stadium. But there will be no olymics is Shanghai? correct me if i am wrong?

SF
Level Contributor
501 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel near Olympic Stadium

Shanghai in-door Stadium would be used for Olympics as I heard from news, Hua-ting is right cross the that stadium (actually a complex of a 100K people out-door stadium and one in-door stadium and another in-door water stadium), it was Sheraton but was kind of old (30 years?) and probably not that 5 star based on my observation, but the price is low as well.

Minneapolis, MN
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel near Olympic Stadium

I will also be in Shanghai for the Olympics (attending the football/soccer matches at Shanghai Stadium on August 7th).

I want to be somewhat close to the stadium too, but also want to be downtown near the sights, restaurants and bars.

Is it easy to get to the stadium from downtown on the subway or by taxi?

What part of downtown is closes to the Shanghai soccer stadium?

SF
Level Contributor
501 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel near Olympic Stadium

Shanghai Football stadium is at HongKong district, subway 3 and 8 reach right cross the street so you would only need to walk cross the passenger bridge. Tr to avoid taking bus or taxi since it would be very very busy and most bus go North-Si-Chuan Road would be stuck somewhere near Fu-Xing High school. The stadium is near Si-Chuan-Road business district, there are only 3-4 stars hotel you can choose (the only 5 starts is building now) and it was very good district till the party's district leader, of course a Chinese countryman from those terrible North Jiang-Su province, trying to modernize the area and screwed the whole district. Now with new leader, they seems to understand what they were destroying is not that bad using international standard at all and what they were building is to make that place looks like a country city in china. So they stopped what they did and try to preserve the reset. You can still see lots of japanese style building in that district.

Shanghai Stadium & shanghai indoor stadium is at Xu-Hui district, it was the suburb area when I went to SJTU but with proper development, it is now considered very good business district, one of shanghai's most prosperous downtown areas.

You can reach the stadium using subway 1, 3 as well.

Jing-Jiang is the only 5 star hotel near the stadium but you have plenty of good hotel within one or two subway stops. Anyway, the best way to reach the stadium is to use the subway, so you can stay at Subway 1, henshan rd station, there is a new 5 star hotel Regal International East Asia Hotel, which is very good. BTW, there is anther hotel almost share the same Chinese name as Regal International East Asia Hotel which is located right inside the shanghai stadium, but not that good.

Bahrain
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel near Olympic Stadium

Hi,

I had written a review on the Hua Ting Hotel, you could check it out.

Additionally instead of catching a taxi during rush hour, you can simply walk down into the subway and go to the north of the city in short time (Pudong etc).

Cheers

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,260 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel near Olympic Stadium

What price range are you looking for?

Yes, Shanghai is hosting some of the soccer games at Shanghai Stadium (in Xuhui district), not Hongkou Stadium (in Hongkou, not Hongkong, district).

Regal Shanghai East Asia Hotel is actually attached to Shanghai Stadium, and Huating Hotel is right opposite. However these can be rather expensive. Were you looking for anything cheaper?

It's extremely easy to reach Shanghai Stadium on the metro lines 1 (red) and 4 (purple). Look on http://www.exploreshanghai.com/metro for an interactive map of Shanghai's metro system.

The nearest busy area would be Xujiahui which's only 1 metro stop away on line 1 (red)... you could even walk there if you so wish. There're plenty of restaurants and malls there.

Otherwise, metro line 1 (red) will also bring you to the French Concession as well as People's Square and Nanjing Lu pedestrian street.

If you're up for seeing the cityscape and don't mind taking a longish ride, bus 42 originates from Shanghai Stadium and terminates on the Bund, only 2 RMB for the entire ride.

SF
Level Contributor
501 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel near Olympic Stadium

ellyse is more up to date, I read from jiefang daily that it would be hold on hongkou football stadium, turn s out to be shanghai stadium.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,754 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel near Olympic Stadium

becoz by metro u could reach Shanghai stadium,

I think choose a hotel near any metro station ( line 1) will be better than near the Shanghai Stadium. Such as some places

ellyse mentioned, people's square, Nanjing Road, Xujiahui or even the former french concession ( hengshan road, changshu road and shanxi road)

i will be there for the soccer game on August 8th, and I decide to take subway, though it will definitely be very crowded.

I will also be in Shanghai for the Olympics (attending the football/soccer matches at Shanghai Stadium on August 7th).I don't think take taxi will be a wise choice since that area always gets lots of traffic jams, I think it might be worse during the Olympic period:-p

I think XujiaHui area will be the nearest downtown place to the stadium:-)

9. Re: Hotel near Olympic Stadium

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 16:21