We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shanghai

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
toronto
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
Shanghai

we are thinking of traveling to Shanghai for the first time, (first time in China as well) in May 2010; just found out they have the World Expo 2010 starting May 1 through Oct.; and been warned about crowds and traffic jams and 3 hour cab ride from airport to hotel; should we still go ahead, or plan for another date?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,324 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shanghai

Shanghai already has nearly 20 million people living there and a lot of tourists so it will not get out of hand overnight because of Expo. For one thing, from the airport you can take the train but in any case by taxi one hour is usually tops.

Just avoid May as it is the start of expo and I assume many chinese tourists will go there especially during the first week of May which is a national holiday there.

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,476 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shanghai

Who "warned" you? They are mistaken.

The first week of the World Expo 2010 is likely to be very busy, as there is a holiday and the "gotta be first" people will be there. It should taper off then for the rest of May, and I suggest you arrive after May 10 or so, after the first two weekends.

May is a beautiful month in Shanghai and by all means go as Shanghai is best enjoyed outside with moderate temperatures. Watch out for elevated hotel rates from hotels trying to cash in. Read this on booking hotels and other tips:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294211-c115805/China…

toronto
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Shanghai

thanks for your input; so happens my dates are fixed at May4th for a week! right smack on when you guys say is the week to avoid? and the National Holiday too..! oh dear, really have to reconsider this, but thanks a lot for info. Hotels are already up in the 200-300CAD/night.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,324 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shanghai

Too early to book as hotels only show their maximum price so far in advance. It is usually better to wait although for these dates I am not sure.

Check this place: www.eversunshinehotel.com/english/js_en.htm

I would consider it a 4-star and i usually pay around US$80 including taxes and one breakfast.

New York
Level Contributor
397 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shanghai

We were in Beijing when it was the October 1 holiday and it was very crowded. We were in Shanghai this past May. Not that crowded. because we travelled at the end of May. However, be aware that in May it will quite warm 90 F.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shanghai

May is a good month to vixit Shanghai but not during the first week of may.,as its considered as one of the golden holidays there n with the Expo just opened u wouldnt enjoy elbowing with the crowd.But if sohappen u cant change the date by all means go ahead u will still have a good great time.Best to go in the later half of May.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
374 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Shanghai

Hi! Yes, indeed it will be very crowded from May1st to 3rd, but I think it will be better from the 4th, so don't worry.

For the hotels, remember last year when the Olympic came to Beijing, the hotel rates had been very high since Jul, one month before the openning ceremony. And then the price went down exponentially... You are too early to book any hotels now.

Good luck!

WildChina

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shanghai

90 deg - warm -are you kidding? - just a pleasant spring day i'd think.- though in May in shanghai - fairly unusual i'd say...

SanDiego, CA
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Shanghai

Hi JD et al,

I'm staying at the Eversunshine Hotel in January. Arriving at Pudong at 5:45. What do you find to be the best/cheapest route to get to hotel?

Also, I'll be going to an expo at SNIEC. Best way to get there?

I like to walk, so a trot to the metro is not a problem--unless it's very far. Glad to hear the hotel is good.

thanks.

hallie

SanDiego, CA
12 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Shanghai

Hi JD et al,

I'm staying at the Eversunshine Hotel in January. Arriving at Pudong at 5:45. What do you find to be the best/cheapest route to get to hotel?

Also, I'll be going to an expo at SNIEC. Best way to get there?

I like to walk, so a trot to the metro is not a problem--unless it's very far. Glad to hear the hotel is good.

thanks.

hallie