We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transit visa

georgia
8 posts
Save Topic
transit visa

Cruise ship docks at Shanghai and we depart same day for U.S. Confused as to need for visa as China sites say not needed if stay in Shanghai for 48 hours or less and hold US passport ,confirmed air ticket and seats. Can anyone give definitive answer? Thx

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,024 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transit visa

As far as I know you need a visa. The visa-free entry only applies to transit at the 2 airports, not for cruises. See the rules here on the government website: china-embassy.org/eng/hzqz/zgqz/t84242.htm

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transit visa

to the contrary - my understanding is you are ok. confirmed onwards is fine for entry

i would seriously question the cruise ship people and note their answers - fall-back position if it all goes wrong

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,024 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transit visa

Skeggles - check the official government website above. It says visa-free transit only from Pudong and Hongqiao airports. Whatever the cruise people say will not move the immigration officer a bit.

georgia
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: transit visa

JPDem-Thx for reply. We arrive at Shanghai dock, disembark & leave from the Pudong airport the same day. Can't get straight answer as to need for transit visa.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,024 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transit visa

To me government website is very clear, to qualify for a transit visa exemption you must fly into one of the two airport. You don't arrive by plane so you don't qualify.

"...Visas are not required of passport holders of the following countries, who transit through Pudong Airport or Hongqiao Airport of Shanghai..."

georgia
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: transit visa

JPDeM-Next para down on China web site is what makes it confusing. Looks to me that this para was enacted to cover cruise ships docking there.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,302 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: transit visa

Funny how different "official" websites have different interpretations(some might be outdated). Welcome to China and its bureaucracy.

…china-consulate.org/eng/…t27600.htm

"Citizens from the following countries do not need a Chinese visa to transit in Shanghai if they enter and exit from Pudong or Hongqiao airport, stay for less than 48 hours, ...."

…prchina.org/eng/…t42211.htm

" Citizens of the following countries to transit Shanghai can stay in Shanghai up to 48 hours without applying for visas: ..."

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,024 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: transit visa

Ontogo - you are right but the next paragraph down talk about the transit visa (G visa) - this is a visa and not about visa free entry.

bibimbob- you are right especially considering that these things are translation. I am studying for my Chinese driver's license now and you should see the chinglish in that book. Hard to figure out the question sometimes, let alone the answer and I need 90% to pass. Scary.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,302 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: transit visa

In fact the Chinese text on both of those websites also differ in the same manner. The English translation was actually very accurate. lol

It would be prudent to get a visa, unless the cruise company tells you in writing that it's not required.

Edited: 12 December 2009, 06:05
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,754 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: transit visa

i think this question has already been asked lots of times here. I even made the call to the official bureau to confirm it. IN Shanghai for transit flights, you can get 48 hours visa free, you can get out of the airport and do whatever you like :)