We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pudong airport to Shanghai cruise terminal

Preston
Level Contributor
251 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Pudong airport to Shanghai cruise terminal

Has anyone done this journey from the airport to the cruise terminal? I can get the Maglev train to the city but how do I then get to the crusie terminal please?

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pudong airport to Shanghai cruise terminal

Maglev does not reach the city.It stops at Longyang lu station at Pudong.,still a considerable distance to the cruise terminal.Howver u could transfer to metro line 2 at the adjacent building which will bring u to Lujiazui station or Nanjing donglu.,alight from here u will need to take a cab to reach yr final destinantion which is not far off.

Preston
Level Contributor
251 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pudong airport to Shanghai cruise terminal

Thankyou for that! Could you tell me whether the signs on the metro are in English as well as Chinese?

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pudong airport to Shanghai cruise terminal

All the signages in metro,maglev n even the road signages r in bilingual,english n mandarin in Shanghai.The ticketing machines n the display with the maps r also bilingual at the stations.Even in railway station for instance they have english speaking counters for those who cant speak mandarin.U will have no problems on directions as its well displayed in english.

Preston
Level Contributor
251 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pudong airport to Shanghai cruise terminal

Thankyou again! We don't go to the end of March but I like to plan these things in advance! We don't usually do the cruise excursions as they are so expensive and you end up in 'shops' etc. (ugh!). we like to do our own thing. What do you recommend there?

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,532 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pudong airport to Shanghai cruise terminal

First, if you are traveling with luggage worthy of a cruise (two suitcases per person), then you do not want to take the subway from the Maglev station. Just catch a taxi there at the regular taxi queue, out the Maglev gate, to the left, to the left again and down the escalator. The Maglev cuts off most of the mileage from Pudong International Airport to the terminal.

Show your tickets at the Maglev ticket booth to get a 10Y discount per person.

The taxi queue personnel should understand English to get your destination, but just in case, have your cruise line send you in Chinese the name of the cruise ship terminal to which you are going and the name of the ship. While subway, air, train and Maglev transportation are bilingual, the Chinese taxi drivers do not know a bit of English. None. You must have the Chinese card with you. The cruise line knows this and should have it on their website or by email request.

Second, I am not sure what excursions you are asking about. You are talking about going directly from the airport to the cruise ship, and then discussing excursions, so I am confused as to what you are doing.

Edited: 29 December 2009, 17:25
Chicago
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pudong airport to Shanghai cruise terminal

Considering how cheap taxis are in Shanghai area, and the fact that you will have luggage, I recommend that you get a cab at the airport all the way to the cruise terminal. You can ask your cruise line to send you directions in Chinese to hand to the taxi driver; they won't speak English. I can't imagine it would be more than $30 US for the taxi ride. The Maglev alone will be $15 to get you half way there and then you have to deal with escalators and/or stairs with your luggage.

Good luck

Preston
Level Contributor
251 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pudong airport to Shanghai cruise terminal

Thankyou again. We have time in Shanghai as we return there mid-cruise. A whole day in fact from 0800 to 1700 approx. We will only have one case each. We are Brits and travel lighter than some cruisers from other countries we have witnessed!!!

Edited: 29 December 2009, 17:40
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,754 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pudong airport to Shanghai cruise terminal

maglev now in Shanghai only has 2 stop: pudong international airport and longyang road station ( this one is still not in the downtown city, but much closer than the airport la:D)

if you want to experience the maglev and choose an easy way: maglev + taxi. maglev by showing your flight ticket you can get 40RMB/person, then for the ride of taxi will be around 40RMB.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,754 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pudong airport to Shanghai cruise terminal

you have such a long time for lots of things to do, i will recommend, old town area, french quarter plus walking around the bund:)

you want to carry you stuffs around shanghai or go to the cruise terminal? if you want to get around first, i will recommend go to french quarter, then old town then the bund, if you need to go to the cruise terminal you can do the itinerary backwards.

Preston
Level Contributor
251 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pudong airport to Shanghai cruise terminal

Thankyou. I think we will take the Maglev (for the experience!) and then a taxi to the cruise terminal. We will certainly visit the places you recommend. Thankyou again.