We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shanghai World Expo first week of May !

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Shanghai World Expo first week of May !

Hi TA!

I am planning on going to Shanghai for the world expo. I need to be in Beijing on may 6th and can be in shanghai on (approx) April 28. Now I know that shanghai expo opens on May 1st and that it will be crowded since it is a national holiday.

My plan was to visit the city April 28-31 and then attend the expo for a couple days and then leave for Beijing

The other plan would be to go to Hong Kong April 28 for a couple days, then to shanghai for the city (while the Chinese tourists are visiting the expo I could visit the city) then the expo and then leave for Beijing.

Now my questions are:

1- Which plan is the best? in terms of crowds ? Will I have enough time to see everything?

2- is it going to be that crowded or is it still enjoyable ?

Thank you for your help!

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,324 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shanghai World Expo first week of May !

A similar was just asked a couple of days ago. Search for that thread.

Yes it will be very crowded and the tourists will not just be at expo. Also 4 days to visit Shanghai as such is too much.

Montreal
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Shanghai World Expo first week of May !

Merci JP!

Combien de jours tu conseillerais?

How many days would you suggest ?

Edited: 07 February 2010, 00:41
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,324 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shanghai World Expo first week of May !

Deux jours pour Shanghai.

There are other towns to visit around Shanghai but because there are so many Chinese tourists traveling during those holidays, it get hard to secure a bus or train ticket.

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,476 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shanghai World Expo first week of May !

It would be preferable if you would schedule Shanghai after your stay in Beijing. You will avoid the double crunch of the first days of Expo and the May 1 Labor Day national holiday. Besides the peak days' tickets will sell out in advance, leaving you empty handed if you schedule your stay without buying tickets in advance.

Expo should be a 2-day visit at least. Reserve to get into the China pavilion as soon as you arrive, as it will be the most popular and it can handle only about 10% of each day's visitors.

You should be able to pick up bus and/or train tickets to Suzhou/Tongli or Hangzhou should you want to go to those place while based in Shanghai. Ask your hotel to buy the tickets a few days in advance. They will be sold out the day or two before departure.

Expo 2010 says it will limit the peak days' (May 1-3) tickets to around 500,000 each day. However, opening glitches and the rumors some pavilions may not be ready on May 1 are additional reasons to visit after your May 6 plans in Beijing.

Montreal
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Shanghai World Expo first week of May !

Thank you very very much SoBeSparky, very helpful!

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,476 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shanghai World Expo first week of May !

You are very welcome, and don't miss my FAQ on top at right on how to get to the Expo when you are in Shanghai.

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shanghai World Expo first week of May !

Fours days is not too much for Shanghai at all! Especially not if you plan to visit the EXPO too. I would say 4 or 5 days would be a good time.

I do agree that the first week of May is not a good idea.

8. Re: Shanghai World Expo first week of May !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2010, 05:16