We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Shanghai Restaurants

Perth
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Good Shanghai Restaurants

My husband and I, with another couple, will be going to Shanghai in June. We are staying on Nanjing Road.

We are looking to find some really good restaurants...they don't have to be Chinese, just good quality food...and maybe something a little bit different. Can anyone recommend some places?? Thanks

Rochester, Michigan
Level Contributor
722 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Shanghai Restaurants

Two links for you -

There is a whole page of Trip Advisor restaurant reviews: tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g308272-Shanghai…

City Weekend magazine in Shanghai does an annual Best of Shanghai that includes restaurants:

cityweekend.com.cn/shanghai/…

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Shanghai Restaurants

Try "Simply Thai" and "Di Shui Dong" on Dongping Road, the latter being a Hunan Style resto (spicy!). Their pork ribs are a MUST! Go to "Sasha's" (the red villa you pass when entering Dongping Road) for a drink afterwards. A bit more upmarket is the "South Beauty" on Taojiang Road (just a 5 min walk from Dongping) - a Sichuan style resto. Make a reservation. "Guyi" (also Hunan, also spicy) on Fumin/Yan'an Road is also very good and always packed (while you wait have a wine at "OTTO" just next door). "Lynn" on Xikang Road has some interesting "contemporary" Chinese food. "Latina" in Xintiandi has meat, meat and meat the Brazilian rodizio style (but drinks are expensive). And last but not least you should try the all you can eat and drink Teppanyaki for 150-200 RMB in one of the "Tairyo" outlets in town. Also try www.shanghai-eats.com and www.smartshanghai.com for more suggestions.

And for a real different experience try hand-pulled noodles (my favorite!). Look out for these whole-in-the-wall style places with blues signs (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_mian). Go in and say "(show amount with you fingers) wan la mian" (x bowls of hand pulled noodles) and watch the action. One bowl is about 4-6 RMB.

Enjoy!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
23 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Shanghai Restaurants

I second the Sasha's vote. Generally I've heard the food is a bit of a let-down, but it's on of SHanghai's best spots for villa-style dining (other good picks in the same villa category include el Willy and Fu 1088).

Nanjing Xi Lu should have a host of high-quality restaurants. I've been to the South Beauty there (non-spicy Sichuan and suaully a foreigner favorite for Chinese food), Element Fresh, Tables at the Ritz Carlton and even the California Pizza Kitchen, but most of the finer restaurants along there will be in hotels and carry an automatic 10-15% service charge.

Since you're visiting town, I would suggest trying at least one meal on the Bund and in Xintiandi. On the Bund, I'd suggest Jean Georges and Mr & Mrs Bund but wouldn't recommend Whampoa Club or Papillon (the food at the latter is still good, but there's better in town and the dining room lacks views of the Huangpu). As for Xintiandi, I've had excellent experiences at T8 (I'd strongly recommend the lamb pie so long as you're not vegetarian), Crystal Jade and New Jesse restaurant. But, there are tons of other restaurants in that area to choose from, including Ding Tai Feng, which is famous for its soup buns.

You can get reviews, address information, etc. at a bunch of expat websites including City Weekend and Dining Secretary.

http://cityweekend.com.cn/shanghai/

http://en.57575777.com/shanghai/index.shtml

Perth
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Shanghai Restaurants

Thanks for all your help - I will check all these out.

Aimee

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,754 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Shanghai Restaurants

ding tai fung on the top of the list in tripadvisor?? i have to admit that people has different taste. i was really disappointed when i had the food there. if you go there for the good service ( good looking manger, good manner,) or decoration of the restaurant, head to there. personally, the steamed bun there is way out of the price, plus not juicy enough and taste really so-so

for dim sum i always stick to xiaoyang fired dumpling and jia jia tang bao, for noodles, a niang noodle restaurant is the best one in shanghai in my list.

for shanghai cuisine, bao luo restaurant and Victoria garden restaurant ( this is in the old villa)

for hot food: south memory is my favorite, di shui tong mentioned by abovfe is very good as well

others like dong bei ren is worth to try as well.

anyway, just my personal options.

Rochester, Michigan
Level Contributor
722 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Shanghai Restaurants

I love Din Tai Fung dumplings - but then I'm very American in my tastes! The ingredients are very fresh tasting - no strange bits of unidentified stuff like at a lot of other places. My favorites are the shrimp and pork shaomai and the vegetable dumplings.

California
Level Contributor
587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good Shanghai Restaurants

Cute Min Min: I am with you in your choices. Please remember the majority of comments on the Trip Advisor restaurants are the opinions of travelers, not locals.

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,528 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good Shanghai Restaurants

Hey Cutie,

You know there are two types of travelers looking for good food. The first type really doesn't care what country they are in, they want good old French cuisine, hamburgers, nouveau this-and-that and long lines of tourists, many of them of group tours. Of course, we know if there is a line of group tour people, keep walking.

I see every week people who want to eat at M on the Bund and other internationally famous places which do not represent good Chinese cuisine. Many places like to "re-interpret" Chinese cuisine and then charge twice as much because you are a tourist and do not mind paying US$40-$50 for dinner per person.

My humble opinion is, "When in Rome, do as the Romans."

When people ask for best places, there are tourist best places and then there are places I just love, like the little noodle shop where I grab a straw basket, fill it with my ingredients and make sure they used the broth I want. I leave with a big smile having spent less than two dollars. Each to his/her own.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,754 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good Shanghai Restaurants

thanks CASmile:)

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,754 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good Shanghai Restaurants

Yes SBS, i totally agree:)

the one you mentioned sounds like Ma La Tang to me:) that's one of my favorite in the cold winter, pick up the food i like (veg or a brunch of meat/fish food) hot (hot) and hot (spicy), cost like 10-20RMB(1.5-3dollars)

I love good food, if it cost a lot, fine, but must be the yummy enough to worth that price!