We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi in Shanghai

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Paris, France
Level Contributor
932 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi in Shanghai

1. takes forever to flag one down, up to ten mins

2. if your address is not written in chinese script they may kick you out the taxi (because they dont understand where you want to go)

3. being foreign, you dont know whether they're giving you the right rate or taking a long way or going in circles

i vow to call a taxi to my hotel if possible

i vow to have the address written in chinese script

i vow to ask my hotel what the meter should read when we start, how long the drive should take and how much it should cost.

use these tips.

my feet and legs are sore as hell and i can't wait to get out the city.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,805 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi in Shanghai

Taxis drivers are generally honest but with traffic being so bad, the subway is a much better idea.

Of course you should have the address in Chinese or point on a map.You are in China. I wonder how many taxi drivers in Toronto would understand the Chinese tourist giving the driver an address in Chinese? Same principle in China.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
932 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi in Shanghai

Yeah but the street names are written in English in their everyday lives too

So I figure people who drive people and tourists around would know the street names as Xitiandi along with the Chinese script.

Lesson learned.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,805 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi in Shanghai

These are no english names on the signs, they are the chinese names written in pinyin, in other words, in regular letters. In chinese Xintiandi is called Xintiandi, maybe you did not pronounce it right. Again, the subway is a better idea in any case.

Beijing, China
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi in Shanghai

If you have an iPhone, you can download the 3D EXPO app from redBang Intl. available on the iTunes store. It has an automatic dialing button that will call a 24 hour taxi taxi service. It also has a taxi translation function that will show the taxis where to go to most major hotels and places. You can see the press release about the app here: http://www.redbang.com/PRESSRELEASE/

Oz
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi in Shanghai

Thanks mkbeijing. I am planning my next trip so it sounds like something I might use. Can you get it for each city or just the main ones ?

For my last trip I printed out a map with names in English & Chinese writing for every place I visited. I made sure all the main sites were on It. One or twice I had a problem with taxi's but it was only because I was not going far so they did not want to take me. The subway was good & easy to use.

WannaBePrepared - As JPDeM says the names on street signs are in Pinyin, not English. They are pronounced totally different to English so the driver could probably not understand you if you were trying to say them.

Hope the rest of your trip goes better.

milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
63 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi in Shanghai

I have been researching this and feel your pain. Hopefully I will have all this together before I go. I wanted to get an airport transfer but it is hard to justify the extra cost. Here is a great site called the taxi calculator. I plan on using this before I go for a rough estimate.

http://kuber.appspot.com/taxi/

Here is another that explains all transportation options well.

travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/…taxi.htm

I know it is too late for you but maybe this will help someone else:)

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,805 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi in Shanghai

Interesting iPhone app but as the press release says, it is not approved by Apple yet so it is not available.

In any case most hotels will give you a business card with the hotel name and address on one side (in Chinese) and the main attractions written in Chinese on the back. I have always survived with this or pointing on a map.

mickeypickle - I have yet to see a good application for Beijing or Shanghai. Lonely Planet travel guides look good but I did not download one for China to check it. When you download the app they give you a free guide of San Francisco and a phrase book for Mexico. It the ones for China are similar then it is probably very good. Frommer's also has an app but they don't give you a free sample so I have no idea if it is good.

Edited: 28 April 2010, 02:42
hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi in Shanghai

Doesn't the tourist office in Shanghai have a helpline you can call with Chinese / English speakers for things like this?

Yes - 96 22 88

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g308272-c108779/Shang…

Edited: 28 April 2010, 02:59
Oz
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi in Shanghai

Thanks JPDeM - I will check it out.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi in Shanghai

wannabe,

you disappoint me so much. a little more time and you'll get the hang of it - but it sounds like you've given up - keep that fighting spirit up!