We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Days in Shanghai - Would you Bother with Expo?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
2 Days in Shanghai - Would you Bother with Expo?

Hi There,

Myself and my wife (both in our late 20's) are heading to China from Australia for the first time in September.

All up we're in Shanghai for 3 days and planning on spending te second day on a day trip to Xitang, Zhujiajiao or Suzhou which have all been suggested to us. That leaves 2 days in Shanghai. One of which we're thinking of doing a shopping tour with http://www.shoppingtoursshanghai.com.

Would you spend the other day at Expo? Is there any other essential must see's in Shanghai you'd suggest in favor of the above?

Thanks in advance!

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
853 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Days in Shanghai - Would you Bother with Expo?

We are also going to Shanghai shortly and time is a premium, we knew the expo was on before we decided to go to China but, we want to see China !!!

I would rather go to see one of the water towns for the day than stand in a line waiting to see "what" and at the same time listen to my husband grizzle about the long wait, google shanghai water towns and then decide,

happy travels Carole

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,697 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Days in Shanghai - Would you Bother with Expo?

It depends on what sort of thing you are into. When you visit the Expo you are not visiting China...

On the left hand side of the page you can click on "things to do" and choose from the list based on your personal interests which we are not familiar with.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
219 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Days in Shanghai - Would you Bother with Expo?

Hi captainturntable,

Welcome, welcome to Shanghai (on September!) :-)

For me, going to the Expo is an experience in itself. You should go and just see what everyone is talking about. (If you ask me, it's still China. It's history in China.)

I'm not really much of a shopping person though. But do you really need a shopping TOUR? You should go see the Shanghai Urban Planning Museum. If you're interested in Shanghai's development plans in the future, I think you'd love it there.

But like what JPDeM said, it depends on what you're really into. Shanghai has a lot of things for everyone! :-) It's a great city.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 Days in Shanghai - Would you Bother with Expo?

Thanks for all your help so far guys.

We're into exploring a city, eating at its best restaurant, having a drink at a bar, getting lost in the streets and since its Shanghai a bit of shopping to boot. We're in Shanghai for Shanghai but its not often you are given the chance to see Expo.... and we don't really know what to expect there... if its a version of Disneyland without the rides then it's not our thing though.

What I guess it comes down to is, we're in Shanghai to explore Shanghai but if Expo is the not to be missed event that we'll most likely never attend again are we mad to miss it?

port st lucie...
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 Days in Shanghai - Would you Bother with Expo?

you know captian, i'm thinking the same thing. i just don't know if it would be worth going to the expo, other than to be able to say, that i had been there. i have looked up the website, and haven't seen much more than everything is ecofriendly theme. is that worth standing in line for hours for? i'll be there in a few weeks. i'm hoping for more tips from other TA members... ;-)

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,663 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 Days in Shanghai - Would you Bother with Expo?

You should see the city instead of the Expo. Most pavilions look nice from the outside but inside just have screens with images/movies about the country. It's all not very inspired. I live in Shanghai so I will go a few times because I have the time and I did like the first time enough but if I was only in Shanghai for a week or less I wouldn't go.

port st lucie...
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 Days in Shanghai - Would you Bother with Expo?

ANNA, it is sounding more and more like Epcot center in Disney World........It's nice to see, but if you only had a couple of days in Disney, it would be a don't bother kind of thing. so many nicer places to see.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 Days in Shanghai - Would you Bother with Expo?

Thanks for all your help gang - sounds very much like Disneyland. We'll explore the best Shanghai has to dish up instead I think.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,381 posts
1,661 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 Days in Shanghai - Would you Bother with Expo?

Im thinking that Im not keen on spending my holidays queing up for hours to see pavilions. It doesnt sound like a fun way to spend my holidays. In saying that I went to the world expo in Brisbane Australia in 1988 and I had a fantastic time. But I lived in Brisbane then.

Tommo

Melbourne
Level Contributor
76 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 Days in Shanghai - Would you Bother with Expo?

I definitely wouldn't bother with the expo given that you only have 2 days. Shanghai is an amazing city and I think 2 days will be tight if you want to see the city.