We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Shanghai - things to do alone

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
469 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Shanghai - things to do alone

Hello,

I will be going to Shanghai to meet a friend who is doing some business there. It is my first time in Shanghai and we will be spending time together, however for approximately half a day on Day 2 and a full day (until the evening/night) on Day 3, I will have to spend time alone as my friend will be taking care of business in another region.

Soooo, my questions are:

1) What are some things I could safely and easily do alone in the city? We will most likely be staying at the Crowne Plaza. I like taking photos of areas that offer a lot of history and culture (streets with colorful decor, cafes, Chinese culture..) as well as shopping. :-)

I am used to traveling around by myself in places like Bali or Tokyo, but guess am a little hesitant about Shanghai as it's my first time.

2) Is it safe or easy for a female to travel around the city alone (when I speak no Chinese)? I know no city is 100% safe, but I was wondering if there are any certain precautions I should take - i.e. best not to travel alone at night around certain areas.

I am browsing through the TA forum for information, but would appreciate any personal suggestion from fellow travelers. :-)

Thank you.

Shanghai ,China
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Shanghai - things to do alone

Shanghai is relatively safe city. Most of places in Shanghai are well-secured ,especially during the Expo period.

You should get an English Guide book have the traffic systems of Shanghai so that you can get around easily by public transportation like Subway. Normally most sites in Shanghai are not far from each other and can be reached easily.

For historic places like

The bund--suggest to visit in the evening , but might be crowed.

Yuyuan garden

Old french concession for the cafes and streets.

there are also some other highlights like Jade buddha temple, Shanghai museum , Pudong Lujiazui area etc.

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,618 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Shanghai - things to do alone

Shanghai is really safe, I have been living there for 3 years now and I go out by myself all the time also at night. Of course take of your belongings as there are pickpockets around.

For good old Shanghai you should go to Yuyuan. The Bazaar is kind of tacky but all the back streets are still old houses and people licing their lives, very interesting.

Than from there you can walk to the Bund via the park and take a ferry to the other side of the river. The other side is Pudong and it is new Shanghai.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Shanghai - things to do alone

One of the safest cities in the world. Read the article on "Scams" in the "Before you go section". Also be careful on the streets. Traffic rules...? What is that? Get a traffic card for the metro (also in the "Before you go section")

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
469 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Shanghai - things to do alone

Thank you to all three of you. While waiting for some replies, I look at the 'things to do' section and came up with a list. Some 'sunnyerday' already mentioned, in fact. :-) I think this should be more than enough.

Shanghai Grand Theater

Bund (Zhongshan Road)

Yu Yan Garden

Old French Concession

Tian Zi Fang

Shanghai’s Hongqaio Pearl Market

SkinCity 5.5

Maybe the Bund I can do with my friend around dinnertime and also maybe the Shanghai Grand Theater. I still have to get a feel of where everything is located, but while I'm here, let me ask again...

What could I do on which days?

Free all day from afternoon on Day 2

Free all day until evening/night on Day 3

Maybe I could visit SkinCity 5.5 during the day when it's the hottest on Day 3?

Thank you again in advance.

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
469 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Shanghai - things to do alone

Oh, I realized I may have been a little unclear.

The Bund and the museum I'm sure I can go with my friend, so among the remaining sites/areas, which would be the best to couple together?

Yu Yan Garden

Old French Concession

Tian Zi Fang

Hongqaio Pearl Market

SkinCity 5.5

Thank you!

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,754 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Shanghai - things to do alone

you can do french concession and tianzifang together, yuyuan garden suggested to do in the morning to avoid the crowds, pearl city? it is quite far and can't be reach by metro, if you are looking for the knock offs, you can try 580, west naning road, if you are looking for pearls, you can try A&P plaza by metro line 2 to shanghai science & technology museum (a&p plaza has knock offs and a big pearl market)

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
469 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Shanghai - things to do alone

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I actually decided to do Yu Yuan in the morning, esp. when it's less hot (hopefully)... Then could I move onto the People's Park area and 580 West Nanjing for shopping?

Thank you everyone for your input.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,754 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to Shanghai - things to do alone

around 12-3pm will be really really hot!!!!

people's park is more fun to see during weekends:)

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
469 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to Shanghai - things to do alone

Hello again,

Would it not be too crowded? (or is that part of the fun?)

I can do French Concession + Tian Zi Fang(?)

Yu Yuan Garden + People's Park/580 West Nanjing

I will have free time after lunch on Sunday + all day on Monday til night

So do you propose I do French Concession on Monday instead?

I fear that if I do Yu Yuan Garden on Sunday, I'll be stampeded by peple!

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,618 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time to Shanghai - things to do alone

Yuyuan should be avoided on the weekend. Others are ok in the weekend.