We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternative for ShoppingToursShanghai

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
2 posts
Save Topic
Alternative for ShoppingToursShanghai

ShoppingToursShanghai is quite highly rated (#3 Sight Seeing Shanghai).

But it is also quite expensive.

I looked for some other shopping tours.

This one seems to be quite cheap:

shanghaihighlights.com/shanghai-day-trips/sh…

(It's the same company like chinahighlichts.com)

Does anyone have experiences with these guides?

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Yunnan
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alternative for ShoppingToursShanghai

why don't you go to the mkts on your own? believe me, every hotel will know. and every taxi driver.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alternative for ShoppingToursShanghai

As far as shopping is concerned do it yrself rather than to rely on tour.They most like will bring u to shops where they will make a handsome commission.Besides its not that difficult to reach the popular shopping destinations.

Rochester, Michigan
Level Contributor
723 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alternative for ShoppingToursShanghai

If you want to take a shopping tour I would go with Shopping Tours Shanghai - it's run by expats who know what appeals to foreigners and know how to bargain - more importantly no commissions from vendors for bringing people to their shops. I have yet to have a Chinese guide that doesnt try to bring me to a shop so they can get a kickback. Even when we have specifically told them not to. (as a side note our Tibetan guide in Lhasa did not do this - nice surprise)

You can shop without taking a tour of course.

Shanghai ,China
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Alternative for ShoppingToursShanghai

If you just want to take a shopping tour , you can definately do yourself in Shanghai.

Maybe you should let us know which you are interested to shop then we can suggest you which areas/markets you can head for.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,754 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alternative for ShoppingToursShanghai

you can actually shop by yourself, there are quite a lot of markets in shanghai, for example:

tailor- made clothing: south the bund fabric market

clothing market: qi pu road market

copies: 580, west nanjing road or a.p plaza next to shanghai science & technology museum ( metro line 2)

antique: dong tai road antique market

boutique clothing: chang le road, xinle road, julu road

you can check like smartshanghai.com or shanghaiexpat.com, those forums/webstie will mention lots of shopping places is shanghai. one thing you need to do it BARGAIN!

London
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Alternative for ShoppingToursShanghai

Thanks for your replies.

Of course, I have already looked up some important shopping markets/places. But I've wondered about the many positive comments for Shopping Tours Shanghai. Maybe they never tried to google or had only a few days in Shanghai? (I am 14 days there.)

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,754 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alternative for ShoppingToursShanghai

sometimes people just choose the way they think will be very easy for them to do since sometimes people don't really have a lot of time, and some people don't really know or like bargaining, that's what i guess;)

8. Re: Alternative for ShoppingToursShanghai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2011, 06:16