We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help me plan our first night in Shanghai

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
278 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Please help me plan our first night in Shanghai

My husband and I will be leaving the US east coast at 8 AM, arriving in Shanghai at 2 PM on Sunday September 19.

I figure by the time we deplane, leave the airport, get to the hotel, and clean up a little it will be around 5 PM. I think our best move is to keep moving for a few hours, then take a sleeping pill and crash for the night.

Keeping in mind that we will be very tired, and a little culture shocked (our first trip to an Asian country) what would you recommend we do to keep moving, and where should we eat (think of someplace easy to handle – good food, not too fancy, with helpful staff, probably English menu) .

We are staying at the Radisson Hotel New World.

Thank you for your assistance!

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,056 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help me plan our first night in Shanghai

Shanghai will not offer too much of a culture shock, will feel pretty much like NYC. And sleeping pills will not be needed the first night, you'll be dead by 11pm, just try not to go to bed too early.

You hotel in pretty much in the center of the action. you should go for a walk on Nanjing road. Be aware not to follow any of the obnoxious touts. You can walk all the way to the Bund and enjoy the view.

Just about every restaurant has english menu.

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
1,078 posts
352 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help me plan our first night in Shanghai

One thing that will hit you are the crowds, especially if you are tired. Walking along The Bund (riverside) at night is a Shanghai must do. You could get a taxi from your hotel to The Bund, have a very pleasant stroll, Call in at one of the bars / restaurants (see other posts for recommendations) and they will get you a cab back to your hotel. Make sure you take a card from your hotel with directions written in Chinese to show the taxi driver.

3. Re: Please help me plan our first night in Shanghai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 31 August 2010, 06:29
Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help me plan our first night in Shanghai

agree with jp.

I wouldn't do the sleeping pill trick. those people i know who do that usually have uppers as well. gets messy....

Skeggles recommended method - proven over centuries and hundreds of victims - uhh compatriots - go out - stay up late - get hammered - next day everything is ok. you've time shifted!

repeat until desired effect is achieved...

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
278 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help me plan our first night in Shanghai

Thank you all for your advice! I like the idea of walking down to the Bund and seeing that at night.

However, I don't know about eating down there. It seems many of the restaurants I've read about are very high-end places. We're going to be feeling (and looking) a little rough, and I don't know that we'll be down for a meal at Jean Georges or M on the Bund. Are there more casual options available in that area? If not, I suppose we can hop in a cab and go wherever.

The next evening I'm hoping for clear weather so we can go to the bar at the Park Hyatt in the SWFC before sunset to take photos. So we'll get to see the Bund at night from the other side of the river.

As to the sleeping pills, I always take them when I travel because I sleep very poorly in strange places. I even take it when I have no jetlag to overcome :-)

Thanks again!

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help me plan our first night in Shanghai

At the Bund the rents are high so a local restaurant could just not afford to be there. So you have all these high end places. As you leave your hotel and turn right you go the next right which is Huanghe Road (5 min walk). In there you have about 10-15 local Chinese restaurants. I recommend the first one on the right at the corner with the big fish tank in the lobby. Easy Chinese food, nothing too spicy, too oily, nothing exotic. Or you just walk up and down. Touts try to lure you into their restaurant with "English menu" but they all have one anyway. All are decent priced. Staff does not speak much English, if any. Can't do much wrong there on the first evening. After this you could go to "Barbarossa" for some really good cocktails (I only go there for drinks): As you go back on Huanghe Rd, cross Nanjing Road, turn right towards Starbucks, pass by and then turn left into the park following the sign to Barbarossa. 5 min walk. Basement (first floor in China) is the Restaurant, second the bar and from there stairs lead to their roof top. cityweekend.com.cn/shanghai/…

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
278 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help me plan our first night in Shanghai

Thanks laowai! I had actually thought that if we are really hungry when we start out for the evening to go to Huanghe Road - perhaps to Jia Jia Tang Bao or Yang's Fry Dumpling for a snack. We'll definitely check out the place you suggest. Good to know that places have English menus.

In general, I'm guessing that it's a good idea to stay away from the places with people out on the street trying to get customers, right?

I had read about Barbarossa and was hoping to stop by. Perhaps a nightcap before bed will be a good idea since it's so close to the hotel. Thanks for the directions!

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help me plan our first night in Shanghai

Restaurants directly on the Bund are very expensive, but go a block or so in and they're much cheaper. If you're interested in trying Chinese food, a few Bund options include:

Tianfu Chuanshuo (Sichuan, Av. 70-120 RMB per person): diningsecretary.com/shanghai/restaurant-d/AE…

Pichon: (Hangzhou, Av. 80-120 RMB per person): diningsecretary.com/shanghai/restaurant-d/AE…

If you happen to not be tired and want, Mr and Mrs Bund does a 2 for 1 drink deal after 11pm and you can order some of the cheaper 50-95 dishes off the menu. They'll still give you the tuna mousse with breadsticks AND a basket of hot bread, so it winds up being much cheaper than eating dinner there (plus you get drinks).

Restaurants near your hotel that are Chinese but foreigner-friendly include:

South Beauty (Sichuan but not very spicy): diningsecretary.com/shanghai/restaurant-d/AE…

Shanghai Renjia (Shanghainese): diningsecretary.com/shanghai/restaurant-d/AE…

Jade Garden (Shanghainese): diningsecretary.com/shanghai/restaurant-d/AE…

Zen (Cantonese): diningsecretary.com/shanghai/restaurant-d/AE…

Hotel dining is probably the quietest option if you think you'll need a peaceful dinner, but they're more expensive. Ciao in the Langham is nice, and Tang Dynasty next to the JW Marriott is as well (though more expensive). If you're willing to splurge, you might also try Kathleen's 5 in People's Square. You can enjoy great views of the Shanghai skyline and Barbarossa is just a stone's throw away for drinks afterward.

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
278 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help me plan our first night in Shanghai

Thank you all for your feedback. It’s been very helpful and is so appreciated.

This is what I’m thinking for our first night:

1. If we’re hungry, head to Huanghe Road for dumplings/buns at Jia Jia Tang Bao or Yang's Fry Dumpling (are they open in the evening?)

2. Walk down Nanjing Road to the Bund and walk around there.

3. Take a cab to Coconut Paradise (we’re only in town for a few days and there are a few restaurants I want to try so I want to go to one tonight)

4. Metro back to People’s Square. If we’re up for it, drinks at Barbarossa

I don’t really have a feeling for how big Shanghai is, so I’m not sure if going from the Bund area to Coconut Paradise is too far – are we running around too much?

Which exit at People's Square do we take for the Radisson?

Thanks again for all your feedback!

10. Re: Please help me plan our first night in Shanghai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2011, 06:19