We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

power adapter for US visitor

Hamden, Connecticut
Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Topic
power adapter for US visitor

Do I need a power adapter for a battery charger? If so, what type? Thanks

Taiyuan, China
Destination Expert
for Pingyao County
Level Contributor
3,693 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: power adapter for US visitor

If the charger works on 110-220v you don't need a power adapter. If it only works on 110v you do. This information is on the charger. These days most do work on 110-220v, but it is important to be sure before you plug it in.

Usually it is useful to have some plug adapters, so a universal plug set can be helpful. You can also buy these in China or borrow one from your hotel.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,597 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: power adapter for US visitor

good question. I did not think about that! Will add it to my china list.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
43,945 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: power adapter for US visitor

Most decent hotels will lend you an adapter.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
88 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: power adapter for US visitor

The Marriott where we will be staying says it has "dual" voltage systems which I assume means one can plug in 110v 0r 220v electrical items. Does this sound correct?

China
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: power adapter for US visitor

Yes, dual voltage systems which means one can plug in 110v 0r 220v electrical items.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
2,473 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: power adapter for US visitor

Am I correct in that with the dual you don't need a converter, but you still need an adaptor? For the prongs to fit?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,597 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: power adapter for US visitor

Dual voltage systems. Please clarify (anyone?). I have never heard of an electrical outlet that can automatically switch between supplying 110 and 220 volts. They might have meant that they have two separate outlets, 1 for 110 volts and another for 220. So make sure you are plugging it into the right outlet or else your 110v. stuff will just burn up. I remember a house in the Philippines (voltage standard is 220volts) that was wired dual. Every place with an electrical outlet had 2 of them. One marked 110 and another marked 220. Guess the owner had quite a no. of electrical stuff from the US.

Mentioned in this post
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
43,945 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: power adapter for US visitor

You may or may not need an adaptor depending on the outlet. Very often the prongs will fit but not always. You can buy a cheap one once you get there or borrow one from your hotel.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
2,473 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: power adapter for US visitor

Thanks again!!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,440 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: power adapter for US visitor

re. 'AC Plugs and Sockets'; …wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_socke…

North America use type A and type B while China use Type I.

Most of modern hotels have sockets that accepting plug types A, C and I. If you have plug adapter is perfect.

In China, the AC is 220V/50Hz while North Americas are 120V/60Hz. Nowadays, most of electrical stuffs are dual voltage system. Most likely you no need bring a power converter.