We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where can i buy a cheap mobile phone in Shanghai?

Australia
6 posts
Save Topic
where can i buy a cheap mobile phone in Shanghai?

hi, i was thinking of taking my mobile phone with me to Shanghai and buy a chinese sim card, but realise this wont work as my phone is locked to the Telstra network.. Where can i buy a cheap mobile phone and sim card close to either the Renaissance Yu Garden Hotel or the New International Exhibition Center? I just want a cheap one to use for two weeks to keep in touch with my group when i get lost.... and ill leave it in China when i leave. Many thanks

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where can i buy a cheap mobile phone in Shanghai?

Some local brands r very cheap.Most malls have mobile phones outlets esp.in areas where there r many youngsters.Malls like the First Supermarket shopping Center,New World City mall,HongYi mall.,etc along Nanjing donglu have many booths for handphones.But most have fixed prices,there r very cheap ones too.Prices for handphones might b bargainable at electronics malls at 1 Huai hai zhonglu or Xujiahui electronics mall or the Peace mall at Pudong nanlu, but if u r looking for a very cheap one there s nothin much to bargain as it may cost only 200-300Rmb or so.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,027 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where can i buy a cheap mobile phone in Shanghai?

Even a cheap mobile phone will cost more than unlocking your phone.

Just google "unlocking mobile phones" for ways to do it.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,754 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where can i buy a cheap mobile phone in Shanghai?

In shanghai something electronics markets, you can find the unlock service. I used to have one in the market called modern electronics market on fu xing road close to Xiangyang road. Fee is 100rmb. You can also get the cheap cell phone there as well from 200-300rmb. Cheap second hand phone can be got at 159rmb, but I don't think the quality will be good.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,308 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where can i buy a cheap mobile phone in Shanghai?

people who had their phones unlocked overseas are known to have problems, such as having incompatible foreign firmware loaded, which renders the phone useless back home. Do your unlocking at home.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,027 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where can i buy a cheap mobile phone in Shanghai?

Actually bibimbob it is possible to unlock the phone yourself. You just need to buy the codes and enter it by following the instructions. You can buy the code over the internet.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where can i buy a cheap mobile phone in Shanghai?

Your phone will only be locked if it is an iphone. And do they fist you on roaming! Most telstra phones take other sims. Have not had a prob.

Unlocking an iphone- depends what model/ios. Bibimbob is correct.

Just buy a cheap phone and sim if you have an iphone and i bet it works better as well. Get a dual sim, that is one of the iphones big shortcomings.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where can i buy a cheap mobile phone in Shanghai?

Your phone will only be locked if it is an iphone. And do they fist you on roaming! Most telstra phones take other sims. Have not had a prob.

Just buy a cheap phone and sim if you have an iphone and i bet it works better as well. Get a dual sim, that is one of the iphones big shortcomings.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where can i buy a cheap mobile phone in Shanghai?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where can i buy a cheap mobile phone in Shanghai?

Classic iphone Issue- double postings. Apologies all.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,027 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where can i buy a cheap mobile phone in Shanghai?

Don't know what you mean Skeggles. I bought an iPhone and it was not locked. iPhones sold in HK,m Australia and Canada are not locked. My previous phone was a Blackberry and it was locked. Unlocking it was pretty simple.

Edited: 17 November 2010, 07:57