We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to see in Shanghai ( welcome to reply with more places)

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,754 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
What to see in Shanghai ( welcome to reply with more places)

Since people here have asked what to see in shanghai, what's the attractions in Shanghai over and over. Here i just post the tourist sites and some hidden sites with short description. Welcome other experts or travelers reply with more places you think are good for visit.

the Bund - is one of the top ten Shanghai attractions. Just like a gallery of international architectures - historic European style buildings located on the Bund . It's the showcase of the city's colonial past and its transformation in the new ear. Known as " the Wall Street in the Far Cast" in the colonial period.

Old Town area :Yu Yuan Garden - is located in the place which locals call it the Old Town area. Yu Yuan Garden is the largest and best known of the historic gardens of Shanghai.(Built in 1559) Yu Yuan Bazaar - is a market with lots of small shops / vendors selling souvenirs, hand-made crafts, folk crafts,packed snacks... and famous restaurants offering delicacies & dim sum such as steamed buns,Ningbo dumplings...City God Temple - used to be the center of the public life and contributed a lot of the birth the marketplace around it. It's a Taoism temple.

People's Square - is an open space for public life. Its evolution from a colonial racecourse to a center of public life epitomizes the pursuit of the city in different periods.

Shanghai Museum - is located in People's Square. As a museum of ancient Chinese art, Shanghai Museum possesses a collection of 120,000 precious works of art. Its rich and high-quality collection of ancient Chinese bronze, ceramics, painting and calligraphy is specially celebrated in the world.

Shanghai Urban Planning Exhibition Center - is located in People's Square. It displays Shanghai's urban planning and development. Exhibitions include models of planned and recent developments, as well as Shanghai's history.

Xintiandi - is composed of an area of restored traditional "stone gate" (Shikumen) houses on narrow alleys, a modern shopping mall with a cinema complex, and some adjoining houses which now serve as book stores, cafes and restaurants. Most of the cafes and restaurants feature both indoor and outdoor seatings. A Stone Gate House Museum there is the place for you to pay a visit to the inside of a house to experienced the life in the "Stone Gate" house.

The Site of 1st National Communist Party Congress - is in the Shanghai typical architecture " Stone Gate" house. On July 23, 1921, thirteen members held their first national congress of the Communist Party of China here, marking the birth of the Party.

Jade Buddha Temple - famous for two vivid Jade Buddha statues.

Long Hua Temple & Pagoda- is located on the Longhua Road at the south of the city, famous for the ancient Longhua Temple and its pagoda. It was built in 242 AD which is during the period of the Three Kingdoms, Longhua Temple is the oldest temple in Shanghai for its long history of over 1700 years. Besides its long history, Longhua Temple is also the largest temple in Shanghai city.

Duolun Road Culture Street - is the road paved with pebbles. It once had a great influence on the history of Chinese culture. We will go though the lane there which was built in 1930. You could find beautiful displays of calligraphy, paintings, antiques and mahogany furniture for sale.

Former Residence of Sun Yat-sen - is the home of Doctor Sun Yat-sen and his wife. The place has be divided into two parts: former residence house and memorial hall.

Old Alley / Lane in Former French Concession Area - walking along the old alley / lane to explore the local life in the old house / lane. Best way to get away the hustling urban life and relax in that area

Taikang Road / Tianzifang - Taikang Lu is a old Shanghai style neighborhood (lane). Now it's a new landmark in Shanghai because of the old architecture mixed with those new restaurants.bars and boutique shops. That area now is called the lane of leisure and art.

Little White House - is a spectacular mansion which was one of the most opulent houses in former French Concession. It was home to a high-ranking official of the French Municipality at that time.Now is Shanghai Arts and Crafts Museum

Propaganda Poster Art Center - full of the pieces of art with history when all the people in China sacrificed for the greatness of one person - Chairman Mao.

Lujiazui Financial and Trade Zone - is the place not only being the financial and trade center of Shanghai, even China, but also full of the high skyscrapers: Shanghai World Financial Center - is the highest building in Shanghai,Jin Mao Tower and Oriental Pearl TV Tower-which is the landmark of Shanghai. Shanghai History Museum - is located just below Shanghai Oriental Pearl Tower with vivid recreations differing from the common museum.

Sightseeing Tunnel -is most efficient way get to Pudong Side from the Bund. Colorful light beams inside the tunnel and you just need to stay in the small box looks like a cable car. It's quite a enjoyable journey especially for the kids.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,681 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to see in Shanghai ( welcome to reply with more places)

Thank you so much for this great information, all in one place. Now if someone could put it all on a google map, it would be really great.

Robina, Australia
Level Contributor
420 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to see in Shanghai ( welcome to reply with more places)

This is EXCELLENT - thankyou so much for doing this.

I agree with Maryann , part of the difficulty (I have at least) is working out where everything is in relation to everything else and how to arrange the itinerary in order - seems difficult to place many of the sights on maps in English!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,767 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to see in Shanghai ( welcome to reply with more places)

once again cute min min delivers. wish I had this post before i finalized my plans. it would help us tourist with a little time on our hands to see/experience the highlights of shanghai!

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,512 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to see in Shanghai ( welcome to reply with more places)

This is an interesting list of places to see, and we each have our own favorite top sights.

I would add the non-bazaar areas of Old Shanghai, far more interesting than the plastic Disneyesque tourist traps around the very excellent gardens. I also would add Qibao, a small watertown area accessible on the subway, and most importantly, neighborhood parks where you will see common people everyday exercising, singing, dancing and enjoying life with their mates, friends and children. Fuxing Park is the best, IMHO, and Dong'an Park is nice. Xujiahui Park is a bit young and modern for my tastes. Without a map, you might get lost in giant People's Park (Square).

Most tourists spending more than a night or two in Shanghai would be best served with a guidebook devoted to the city with maps included. I prefer the DK Eyewitness Guide to Beijing & Shanghai, but others like Lonely Planet, Frommers, Fodors, etc. exist.

I am dumbfounded when people will spend thousands of US dollars to get to Shanghai, spend hundreds on their hotel room, and then not buy a good guide book to take with them as they tour the city. For $30 or less you can get a whole menu of over a hundred things to do. Go to your local book store and find one you are comfortable with and then read it before you go. It also makes what you see more meaningful as you have the background before you see things.

On-line sites are no replacement for a physical guide book to have in your hands. Don't just trust posters' opinions. Make your own by surveying the sights in a good guide book.

The only maps which are always out of date are those of the world's largest subway system. Even this year and next, Shanghai will open more than 60 or 70 km of city subway lines. Your hotel might have a good subway map, or use www.exploreshanghai.com on line. Any guide book more than 1 or 2 years old will have a way out-of-date subway map. Otherwise, many of these guidebooks are fairly timeless.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,767 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to see in Shanghai ( welcome to reply with more places)

Cute's list could be a main course. You can add or subtract from this list given that there are many other sites to see. But it does help in the planning. A sort of a template of sites to see.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,754 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to see in Shanghai ( welcome to reply with more places)

bigwawao, maybe you can make a restaurant list after you travel here:)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,767 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to see in Shanghai ( welcome to reply with more places)

cute min, I do not think that is possible. :-( I do not have the knowledge that you have and I tend to love whatever it is I am eating.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,884 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to see in Shanghai ( welcome to reply with more places)

Try this website for an interactive Metro Map...

http://www.exploreshanghai.com/metro/

...and this website lists attractions in Shanghai and includes info, pictures, and a map as well.

funtouristattractions.com/m/…2

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,754 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to see in Shanghai ( welcome to reply with more places)

you can try to be more adventurous:)

Seattle
Level Contributor
621 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to see in Shanghai ( welcome to reply with more places)

CuteMinMin, thank you for the suggestions & the great links!

SoBeSparky, I agree with you there's nothing like having a book in your hand. After doing hours of research on TA I went to a book store & got the 2008 DK Eyewitness Guide to Beijing & Shanghai. I love it & it really helped me get better oriented & read a bit more about each of the different places I had read about on TA. It was definitely worth the $. I got even more excited about my trip once I looked through the guide. I know the maps are not exact but I keep the guide by my computer & when I read about a place, hotel, restaurant,... I try to locate it on the map in the book & figure how I would get there walking or by subway. It's just a little game I play with myself & it's really helpful.

Once I get to Beijing & Shanghai I can get the more updated maps but I will already be familiar with the cities sort of speak.