We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shanghai over chinese new year

London
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Shanghai over chinese new year

Hello, I'd greatly appreciate some travel advice.

What happens to the shops at Chinese New Year? Are they likely to be open on the 2nd of February? I was hoping to buy a new handbag while I'm visiting.

I've heard that Shanghai gets very crowded at New Year. Is it best to avoid the city altogether on the 2nd? I'm currently due to arrive in Shanghai on Feb 1 and fly out on Feb 2nd, and I'm wondering if I should change my flights and avoid the city till a later date.

I'm really looking forward to hearing from anyone who can advise me. Thank you.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shanghai over chinese new year

Well, the migrant workers go home - some companies bus them out and try to bus them back.. Try being the active verb.

If you are going to avoid the city where do you think you will go?

Go see the fireworks- its well worthwhile.

Shops are open as it is a good time for the people in the city to shop $$$. For businesses it is a different matter- particularly afterwards when half your people don't return....

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shanghai over chinese new year

Not necessary to change yr dates as was pointed out many migrants from other provices either got bused out or shipped out or by watever means as its the peak travelling time in the world history.The movement starts from nown probably last for one n half month.Shanghai willnot b any much different as there wil b enuf things to keep u occupied for the day.Many people go back to their hometowns.,n the trend now rich Shanghainese will choose to travel to popular tourists places afar.For the not so rich or those forbidden to travel out of home by tradition probably hang around the popular areas n restaurants, shopping malls etc in Shanghai.Fireworks display is a must .most tourist places will b opened as usual n the smart business proprietors esp that of restaurants will choose to open as its a good time to hear the tinking of the cashier machine,...

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,380 posts
821 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shanghai over chinese new year

It seems that things are different in Shanghai than Beijing? In Beijing all shops will be close on Chinese New Year's day as such and they gradually re-open over the following 2-3 days. A lot of restaurants are open though.

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,516 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shanghai over chinese new year

You arrive on Feb. 1. You leave Feb. 2. New Year's Day is Feb. 3.

Shop the morning of Feb. 2 in a typical tourist place and you will find things open. That night (Feb. 2) and the next day (Feb. 3) many will be with their families.

Go, get last minute bargain hotel rate. Shop early on Feb. 2 at a tourist place.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,097 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shanghai over chinese new year

It was unbearable last year!

It is bad enough out of the holiday period but you do spend a lot of time TRYING to go TRYING TO see. Lining uop is now a pasttime for many in Shanghai.

But anywhere you go in China will be busy.

Good luck

Albon

Changsha/Melbourne

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shanghai over chinese new year

Albon, shanghai is quiet over the sping festival period- well- in comparison to its normal self.

Anyway, its well and truly off my list of remotely interested to see places.

London
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Shanghai over chinese new year

Hi thank you all so much for your replies.

I was also just curious to know how safe it is to travel in Shanghai as a female by myself?

Also Is it easy enough to get a taxi, and are there any safety issues in particular I should be aware of?

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shanghai over chinese new year

If you like to be waken up by fireworks at 2 am and then have the next one at 4am as a wake up call, then come to China over CNY! The worst is when CNY ends and you think it's over - then they worship the god of money and you have 24/7 fireworks going on. So also this year I will do what 90% of the expats here do: Leave the city to spend CNY in Southeast Asia.

Tons of articles about safety in Shanghai. Search this forum.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shanghai over chinese new year

Maybe Laowai is right u still can get the feel of Lunar New Yr in SEA like Singapore,Malaysia,n Thailand.Firecrakers is less prominent in Singapore but there will b fireworks display n the nicely decorated malls n street bring the mood very much alive.Malaysia esp Penang n Singapore is much more noisy as its easy to get around the firecrackers ban,so u will b awaken but the Spring New Yr mood is also incomparable.Another possibility is Hainan island i remembered i had a good Lunar New yr there 2 yrs back.Still looking forward to go there again.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,380 posts
821 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shanghai over chinese new year

Shanghai is very safe. Just beware of pickpockets in crowded areas with lots of tourists.