We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Soup" Dumplings

Springfield...
Level Contributor
106 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
"Soup" Dumplings

I watched a DVD on Shanghai and they showed a place that did dumplings in Shanghai that had broth in them that was best sucked out before biting into the dumpling so as not to get burned.

Does anyone know what the name of that place is or is there more than one place? I'm hoping this sounds familiar to someone. We're going to Shanghai in April and we'd really like to try them.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Soup" Dumplings

Umm -- truck loads ofplaces- guessing yo saw yu yuan area. I don't think the ones there are so good- kinda herd mentality.

They are xiao long bao zi. And seriously good!!

They are About the only good thing to come out of shanghai except for first flight out you can get...

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Soup" Dumplings

Try those xiao long bao of many types at Tang2 Jia Bao at Huanghe lu.,behind Radisson hotel.Yangs fried dumplings other than the usual steamed ones like Xiaolongbao r quite unique n good.Nanxiang Xiaolong bao at Yuyuan is soso.If u can u could try all the varities but my preferences r the crab oe the pork ones.U need to pick up the steamed xiaolongbao gentlly n bite a small punture hole into it to sip the juice first.,cos the juice in it makes a difference as to the taste.The skin covering is thus very important as it should b thin enuf to make it a quite translucent appearnce of the dumplings n yet not breakable easily.Any dumplings that r already broken before serving r rejected as it has lost its juices.After consuming the juice then only dipping the dumplings in the sauce for its final taste.These places mentioned may even have nbetter dumplings at other famous outlets like DTF ,Crystal Jade or Jade Garden.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
106 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Soup" Dumplings

Thank you. The xiao long bao at Tang2 Jia Bao sound like the ones I was thinking of. Do they do take away by putting them between two plate like covers and then wrapping it with string?

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Soup" Dumplings

Tang2Jiabao located at 90 Huanghe lu,by Fenyang lu.just behind the Park Hotel.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,600 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Soup" Dumplings

Shanghai dumplings - Xiao Long Bao. You can get them everwhere lol. Nanxiang at Yuyuan Gardens is well known. I was there last month and if it looks busy on the ground floor just keep walking up - gets slightly more expensive the higher you go tho.

You can get small Xiao Long Bao, and you need to wait for the soup inside to cool down or you will burn the roof of your mouth! There are also larger ones and they supply a straw for you to drink the soup from.

I have had better than Nanxiang - don't have the address or name of the place but as I said there are lots of restaurants that serve these as it is a daily style food.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
106 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Soup" Dumplings

Thanks for the info! At least I now know what they are called.

7. Re: "Soup" Dumplings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2012, 07:16