We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

blogging

singapore
Level Contributor
342 posts
1 review
Save Topic
blogging

Hie

I'd be in SHanghai for a pure 2 1/2 wks !

I understand that facebook is completely blocked in Shanghai.

How about blogging ? Can someone advised me, is blogging allowed in SHanghai ? If so, what are the international sites that I can use without getting into any problem ? I need to connect w my own world while there !

Thank you

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: blogging

Well, you will not be arrested if you try to open Facebook, the site will just not open ("site not available"). Same for blogging. Chinese blog like hell, but they blog on sites which are closely monitored and filtered. Post some blog sites you might want to use and we can check here and advise.

Moscow
Level Contributor
259 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: blogging

As from my experience from two years ago, most sites, blocked in china are available if you use internrt in your hotel. Also there always is such thing as proxy.

Rochester, Michigan
Level Contributor
722 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: blogging

There's always old fashioned email - hotmail is pretty reliable as far as not being blocked

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: blogging

If a site is blocked in China, it is blocked. Also from hotels.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,024 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: blogging

Actually some hotels (mostly some 5-stars) have their own VPN which gives you access to everything.

I also experienced this but it is not something you can count on.

Edited: 14 March 2011, 14:31
singapore
Level Contributor
342 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: blogging

Hie everyone

Actually I just wanted to have a journal of trips in China.

Partially to share with friends, partially same plain reason, of just recording down.

1 month in China is no joke ! I'm not gonna go out for tours everyday ! Nor will I shop everyday !

And of course definitely to take pictures to share and just to type english lettering while in a Chinese country ! ha h ah a a

( just being funny here ! ha )

Frankly I've never blog before. Could someone just recommend me a few international website that would be accessible in China and which would be easy to use ?

Thank you very much !

Mintlaw
Level Contributor
186 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: blogging

Can I jump on to this question about blogging. I was hoping to use Travelpod for the same reasons as this poster.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,024 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: blogging

Travelpod works fine in China.

Moscow
Level Contributor
259 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: blogging

Tried from Belgravia serviced apartments in Shanghai. Livejournal is working, facebook not.

10. Re: blogging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 March 2011, 00:35