We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shanghai Trip Report

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
9 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Shanghai Trip Report

Hello -

I just spent a week in Shanghai on holiday with two others. Grateful for the advice I received here in advance. For what it's worth, I thought I’d post a few things from the hindsight of a first-time visitor.

Transportation – We got stored-value transit cards our first day and they were extremely helpful: use on subways as well as taxis. If you want to use it in a taxi, show the driver as soon as you get in. They have a way of slamming down the meter very quickly when you arrive at your destination, and then you have to pay cash. I spent about 100rmb in one week. Subways are easy, fast and cheap. Taxis are cheap, not always fast. The Maglev was out of the way, but we still did it for the ride. If you have time, I’d recommend, otherwise take a taxi to-from airport.

Guidebook – We brought 3 books – Frommer’s, Fodor’s and DK Eyewitness. Frommer’s was the only one we needed. Good recommendations on restaurants and good practical info, plus every listing is also in Chinese: essential for taxis. Fodor’s is a similar second. DK was of little use to us, other than the pretty pictures, and it has no Chinese names. I don’t recommend.

iPhone apps – I got a few apps to use before I left. The iPhone maps app was great for getting around and I love how it can update your location even when you have turned off data roaming. The explore metro subway map was helpful. Don’t waste your money on Shanghai City Scouter. Limited resources. Shanghai City Guide by Bleum was much better with more listings and for each location a taxi card to show the driver. Helpful. Also a currency converter app is good to have.

Markets – I went to both 580 W Nanjing Rd and the market under the Science & Tech. Same merchandise, for the most part. 580 would have been enough.

Daytrip – definitely do one if you’re there a whole week. We enjoyed XiTang.

Food – Ate consistently well. Try holes in the wall where you just point at the menu. 4 of us ate for 50rmb one meal! Favorite restaurant of the week was the Art Salon. Spicy.

Hotel – we stayed at the Hilton because of points and rewards. Good service, small rooms, good Executive lounge food and drinks.

River Cruise – We did the three hour tour. Unless you’re really into seeing industrial shipping docks, do the one hour. For us, it would have been enough.

A week in Shanghai? We saw everything. We were not rushed. It was enough, but we were never bored. I’m glad I went, but I would honestly not be in any rush to return. Too many other places to see!

Favorites: Jade Buddha Temple; Art Salon Restaurant; Tout-dodging on Nanjing Rd East; XiTang Daytrip; Soup Dumplings!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Shanghai Trip Report

Thanks for the very helpful tips.

Was your transit card easy to purchase? Where did you get it and did you have trouble returning it for the deposit?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
9 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shanghai Trip Report

Meant to post that. You purchase it from a metro station ticket window. I think it was 20rmb deposit. When you return to the airport, you can get a refund on the remaining balance at the Maglev/metro ticket window.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
61 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shanghai Trip Report

How did you organize your day trip to Xitang?

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shanghai Trip Report

Thanks for the report, we were glad we did visit shanghai but also would be in no hurry to return. We also visited Xitang, we went with the local bus which was a good experience and easier than we thought it was going to be.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
9 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shanghai Trip Report

We had local business contacts that arranged the XiTang trip for us, so I can't be helpful with that. Sorry.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,754 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shanghai Trip Report

Thanks very much for sharing your experience here, it will help a lot!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Shanghai Trip Report

This is an excellent trip report, chock full of helpful, practical information. Thanks so much for taking the time to jot down these recommendations. I already downloaded the Shanghai Guide app and plan to buy the Frommers guidebook.

Seattle
Level Contributor
621 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shanghai Trip Report

Thank you for the great tips. We'll be leaving for Beijing in 2 weeks. We'll be spending 6 days in Beijing & flying to Shanghai for 5 1/2 days.

We will also be staying at the Hilton. Please let me know if you have any additional tips about the hotel or the area close by.

I was wondering which River Cruise to take. Thanks to you we've settled it to only do the 1 hr cruise. First time that I hear of the Art Salon. We love spicy food so I will look into it.

Glad you had a good time.

Shanghai ,China
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Shanghai Trip Report

The river cruise in Shanghai is Huangpu river cruise.

Hangzhou, China
Level Contributor
233 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Shanghai Trip Report

Thanks for share the information ~