We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Typhoon Muifa

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
118 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Typhoon Muifa

On top of all my preparations for my trip to Shanghai in 6 days, I have to track this Typhoon Muifa that is in the Pacific and heading for area in Eastern Asia including Shanghai. Those of you in Shanghai, could you post the latest info in your city about Muifa?

Hopefully it will miss Shanghai or pass before I get there if I can land.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Typhoon Muifa

Why not do your own research that way you will not be misguided or recieve inappropriate information and wrong information.

I know that many people have been blamed and sworn at because they sent wrong info to others.

Good luck with your venture and it sounds like an exciting holiday for you.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
118 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Typhoon Muifa

I can't change my flight unless its delay or diverted by the storm. I am schedule to land hopefully August 7th 5:30 PM at Shanghai Pudong Airport.

I am hoping based on the long term projection that if it hits Shanghai, it will happen on the 6th.

I am just curious what they are hearing or doing in Shanghai in anticipation of this typhoon.

Shanghai
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Typhoon Muifa

What we hear or what we do? Nothing. We just wait... Don't count on anyone in Shanghai to give you trustable information: most of the info we get come from weibo (Chinese equivalent of twitter), and it's nearly impossible to make a difference between rumors and reality.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Typhoon Muifa

As per now, 02 August 2155h lt: a refreshing wind is over Shanghai. Looks like the very first signs of the Typhoon which however is far away and will (like 90% of them over the last years) make landfall way too much South of Shanghai to cause serious troubles. So no need to worry... Hopefully.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
118 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Typhoon Muifa

Based on weather reporting from Taiwan, Japan, USA, we will see in next 24 to 48 hours which direction Muifa turns. It will hit Okinawa tomorrow.

If it goes NW, it going to affect Shanghai. If it goes NNW then it going to hit Korea or Southern Japan.

On side note, I heard that Shanghai is really smoggy. Maybe the wind will blow the smog away for few days right before I arrive.

Edited: 02 August 2011, 15:22
Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,532 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Typhoon Muifa

It is easy to keep track yourself at: http://www.tropicalstormrisk.com/ I have used it for years here in Miami Beach. It is accurate, with no drama.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Typhoon Muifa

Shanghai saying-- typhoon is scared of shanghai. Gets windy but its of no concern. You'll get govt warnings to not go out etc.

Shanghai, China
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Typhoon Muifa

Hey There,

I live in Shanghai and this one report (link: http://english.eastday.com/e/110803/u1a6031962.html) Claims that there will be a typhoon hitting Shanghai. Check the link for details.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
118 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Typhoon Muifa

Look like Muifa will do a fade after passing Okinawa. It will come near the coast of Shanghai but at 100+km distance. So the flight is on , and we will be landing in 30-40 mph wind.

10. Re: Typhoon Muifa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 07:17