We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shanghai maglev taxi scam

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
9 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Shanghai maglev taxi scam

Hi All,

Not sure if this has been posted before, so apologies if it has. My girlfriend and I have recently come back from a trip to China, which ended in Shanghai. We decided to try the maglev from Pudong airport. When we got there we joined the official taxi queue outside of the station and waited.

When we got in the taxi the driver had a receipt over his meter screen so we couldn't see what was on it. In hindsight I should have confirmed the meter was on (and I don't know why I didn't cos' I had done in other parts of china).

Anyway we got to our destination and the taxi driver seemed a bit nervous, wanting payment before we got out, which was something we had never come across in China. I asked how much and out of the corner of my eye I saw the driver press something on his meter before ripping off the receipt to display the screen and demanding 200RMB (£20). Now to put this in perspective, its about the price I would have expected to pay in the UK, but Chinese taxi's are VERY cheap and I don't like feeling someone is trying to rip me off.

At this point, we started arguing the point with the driver whose grasp of English, which to this point had been ok suddenly vanished. The problem we had was our bags were in the back of his car and I didn't fancy him driving off. Eventually, by taking a note of his number and threatening to report him we got it reduced to 100RMB, which in hindsight is still 2/3 times what we should have paid. On the way back to the airport we got a taxi from peoples square and when we passed the maglev, it was 40RMB and this was in rush hour. The total trip to the airport cost us 160.

In hindsight and I am sure this has been mentioned many times before, but please ensure the driver is using his meter - even when you get it from an area you wouldn't expect to be ripped off from. Also don't be frightened to report the driver and take a note of his number if you feel you are being ripped off.

Other than that we found the drivers to be unfailingly honest.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,286 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shanghai maglev taxi scam

Thanks for the reminder. It is also a good idea to seek help from the hotel doorman. They usually know the typical fare from different key locations and will handle the cheating taxi driver.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shanghai maglev taxi scam

Thanks for the info, it always helps others when people post these experiences.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,915 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shanghai maglev taxi scam

I had thought that Shanghai's taxi is pretty honor.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shanghai maglev taxi scam

This scam has probably made an impact that the authourities had even stationed a personnel blaring on the microphone on yr exit from yr maglev advising against the taxi touts.Though it advises u to take from yr official taxi stand i noticed that yr daredevil driver had pulled the stunt on u.It shouldnt has happened but when it did,u need not pay him.,n it s always wise to alight at yr hotel entrance.Just as JP had mentioned the hotel bellboywould b best to help u if u r not too sure of the amount u need to pay.On the other hand u can even choose not to pay at all.,im not sure he has the guts to take off with yr luggages.Worse still if u had paid a telephone call to the company or 962288 would unnerved him on the spot.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shanghai maglev taxi scam

To be honest, many taxi wait in line in maglev station is not trustable. Even I am local, I have once encountered similar problem.(Charge me 100, which should be 50).

Which I could advise is try to avoid those taxi in dark red and blue. They are running by very small company with very limit management. You escalation means nothing to them(I mean escalate to those companies. If you have time to report this to TV or polices, it works but take your time). Try those taxi in White, Golden and cyan. They are running by big companies.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,043 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shanghai maglev taxi scam

Thanks for reporting this. Other popular scams involve telling customers that their $100 bill is fake. And for Shanghai residents who use a transport cash card, watch out for taxi driver switching your card for one with zero balance on it.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shanghai maglev taxi scam

This should be reported to the Beijing Tourism Authority.

If they are not alerted then it will continue.

They can not afford to have a world wide scandal on their hands especially when there is competition from other transport outlets.

I know at times we seem to not be bothered but we have to stand up.

Albon

singapore
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shanghai maglev taxi scam

I got into shanghai yesterday early morning and I boarded the red taxi from longyang station. I asked the driver if he is willing to go by meter and he said yes but there was a receipt covering his meter, I thought since he looks friendly we shld b fine but no!!! He stopped us about 1/2 block away from our hotel and when we ask about the fare, he said rmb280!!!!! We argued and I told him I know the estimated fare which is around rmb 40. He tried to bargain saying it is not possible, there are 2 of us, fuel surcharge.... I asked him to turn back and bring us to the hotel entrance and I will ask the hotel bellboy. He started to look worried. Then I took out my camera and start taking pictures oh his license number (can be found behind the driver seat), he gave in and said rmb80.

I told him no. Finally I agreed to give him rmb50 for fear he will drive off with my luggages after I paid him. Taken afew other cab rides around shanghai the last 2 days and they are ok... Just be mindful and u b fine.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,915 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shanghai maglev taxi scam

In Shanghai, avoid red cab, they are all from inferior/irregular companies.

new zealand
Level Contributor
415 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shanghai maglev taxi scam

i experienced a similar thing by taxi from nanjin road hotel to the science and technology shopping centre. He had been fiddling with the metre while we were driving. I have been to china many times so know what taxis cast. When we got to our destination, we had already agreed to get out to the taxi first and then ask him how much. He pointed to his metre which read 280 rmb. Luckily I knew better and I threw 30 rmb at him and walked away. I had also taken a photo of his ID card while in the taxi. He did not speak english but I waved my caamera at him and he knew he as caught. he drove off with his 30rmb and we were happy. If there had been luggage in the back, I would suggest one gets the luggage while the other fumbles around in the bag looking for money, a stalling tactic, until you have the lugagge out. Then pay him what you think it should be. Generally they are ok but sadly there are a few bad ones about the city