We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Area to Stay in?

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best Area to Stay in?

I'll be travelling to Shanghai solo early next year and still trying to nail down the best area for me to stay in. Looking for an area where, when I walk out of my hotel, I'm near lots of restaurants and bars/pubs that are open late and near public tranportation so I can go anywhere quickly around Shanghai.

I've been reading the forums and believe the Puxi area may be best, but I understand there's a number of districts that comprise that. So, if anyone can help me narrow down the specific area or even any hotels (up to $85/night US) I would be very appreciative! Thanks in advance!

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,528 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Area to Stay in?

There are many previous posts on the "best area to stay in." Of course, it depends on your specific desires and tastes. For example, are you looking for western friendly restaurants outside your door, or restaurants with 98% Chinese clientele eating the real thing?

Your budget is very tight for one of the top five populated cities in the world. Beijing and Shanghai generally have the highest average hotel rates in China. You are limited to three-star places and maybe a special promotion at a four-star. You can check them out at www.english.ctrip.com, one of the best hotel booking sites. Avoid all prepayment requirements (but not reservation guarantees cancellable 24 hours before arrival), as prices can come down closer to your arrival.

If you read previous posts, you realize you must be close to a Metro station, see www.exploreshanghai.com

Puxi is a very big area, that being the city west of the Huangpu River. Pudong is the other side of the river. If you want to be surrounded by tourists in what I call the tourist ghetto where few natives shop or eat, then try downtown near East Nanjing Road and the Bund.

If you clarify your tastes, maybe we can help you with your limited budget.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Area to Stay in?

Thanks SoBeSparky. Yes, I've read a lot of the threads on "best place to stay"; however, I'll provide some further clarification on what I'm looking for. For the hotel location, I'm fine with being around other tourists. Is the East Nanjing Road area full of restaurants and pubs that are easily navigable by someone that speaks no Chinese (like myself)? Also, is there a specific Metro station that I should be searching for a hotel by?

Basically, just looking for a good grounding point that I can stay at (touristy area OK) that provides me quick and easy access to getting to non-touristy areas and other areas of Shanghai to visit. Since this is my first time there and I speak no Chinese, I would be more comfortable staying in an area that has lots of restaurants & pubs that are in the immediate hotel area that i can easily navigate in English.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,739 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Area to Stay in?

Generally speaking, for a first time traveller it is better to be on the Puxi side than the Pudong side (unless you expect business meeting in Pudong). More specifically on the Puxi side you can look at People's square area, Nanjing road and possibly Xintiandi.

One poster recently had very good comments about the Howard Johnson near People Square. You can check the reviews.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Area to Stay in?

I recommend Charms Hotel Shanghai to you. This hotel is well located at No.619 Jiujiang Road, Huangpu District, the center of Shanghai. It is near East Nanjing road and People's Square. And it is easy for you to take a bus and subway to anywhere Shanghai for fun.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Area to Stay in?

Yes it would b better to stay at Puxi.Charms hotel at 3 star has rate that may fit you n its near to Peoples square n Nanjing donglu station.A stone throw away from the scam famed street of Nanjing dong lu but if u keep yr wallet tight n yr senses alert it would still b a great place to stay.Its near to amny restaurants/eateries/shopping and metro.,line 2 & 10 at Nanjing dong lu,and lines 1,2 &8 at People square station.Similarly at the same area Howard Johnson a good 4 1/2 star hotel is conveniently located but maybe some websites may have offer for less than 100.U may also look up on Donghu hotel and Holler moller at the french concession area.Also Seagull on the Bund or Mansions hotel near to the bund may have attractive rates n close to the areas of attractions.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Area to Stay in?

Or u may look into Bund riverside hotel ,about 10 minutes walk to Nanjing donglu metro station,3 star rated .Some websites like agoda.dom or hotels.com has rate offered at 530Rmb/night.Its in quite a good location.Other nearby worth considering is the Citadines Jinqiao near to Peoples square with rates about 600Rmb.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Area to Stay in?

I would stay around Nanjing road but most of the restaurants around there are chain restaurants like Macdonalds and subway. check out the hotel prices on these 2 hotel price comparison websites:

www.comparior.com

www.hotelscombined.com

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Area to Stay in?

Thanks to everyone who contributed here! This is all fantastic information and has answered my questions.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
133 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Area to Stay in?

I would say Nanjing Road that area. lots of restaurants but bar and pubs maybe xintiandi that area ba.

10. Re: Best Area to Stay in?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2013, 10:20