We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chinese New Year

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Geelong
Level Contributor
143 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Chinese New Year

My wife and I will be travelling on the fast train from Nanjing arriving Shanghai at about 8pm on Sunday January 22. We are wondering whether it will be difficult catching a taxi to our hotel on the eve of the Chinese New Year.

Also, I am wondering whether tourist attractions will be closed on Monday January 23.

What celebrations are we likely to see?

Cheers, Kel.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chinese New Year

The most memorable part of Chinese New Year will b the incessant bang!bang!boom!boom!babooom!!!of the never ending fireworks done by us,the locals.It will b a spectacular show anyway in the entire city in all corners n if u can view it from a high unit,it would b nice.Or u could get to see it from the Bund or from pudong side Binjiang dadao.Fireworks display is everywhere big or small.So fireworks will keep banging yr ears throughout the night,if u plan to sleep early better use earplugs.We r not allowed to sleep early as its important for longevity.,n praying the Jade God of Heaven is important for a blooming new year at midnight.I will get my share of fun in my hometown in Santou.,Guangdong.

Most of the activities will center at the temples,n if u could head to the temples there will b fair,dragon dances,n folk shows.This year is one of the favourite zodiac sign the Dragon.,n so u would see dragons everywhere.Lighting up kongming lanterns is another event.A lot of home make food esp.those of new year significnace like the jiaozi,n sweet glutinous cakes.etc.

U will still b able to get taxis though the number will b significantly reduced.But also the number of people in Shanghai r reduced as would have headed home from other parts of China for reunionShanghai has a large migrants population n come chinese new year they would head for home n leaves the city less populated.

Basically Chinese New Year is a family affair where all relatives gather at home n have fun n Eat!eat!eat!.

As we r chinese n we love money,so not all shops will close .Some do but some open,n so it will not b totally shut down.Some public attractions r opened too.Small restaurants might close but the bigger ones normally stay open.,as it would b overpacked n the smell of money is too strong to close it.,so its better to keep the doors wide opened for the God Of Fortune to keep calling.Quite impossible to get a free seating in most.Parks n popular streets will still b very much alive with activities.But a significant reduction in the volume of people is noticeable.,so also the hotels would also b quieter.

New York
Level Contributor
82 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chinese New Year

Can I chime in with a related question? Hope it's okay.

Would it be crazy for me to travel from Shanghai to Suzhou and or Zhujiajao on January 22? Can I visit both villages in one day?

Thank you.

Geelong
Level Contributor
143 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chinese New Year

Thank you bennystar99. You are indeed a star! Thank you for the excellent (outstanding) advice. We will take your suggestions with us.

bdcsw1: my wife and I are doing a whole day tour to Suzhou from Shanghai on January 24th. We had the option of doing a second city, but we have decided not to take up this option. Two cities means often you miss experiencing the people and culture and just visit places; which we do on occasions. depends on what you want to see/do.

Cheers, Kel.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,736 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chinese New Year

Suzhou is at least one full day. Not the best time to visit these places.

New York
Level Contributor
82 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chinese New Year

Thank you for the information. Is just after New Year any better time to go like Kel is planning?

Kel, you are going the one day I can't go between 1/22 and 1/27. May I ask if you are going on your own and if not, who you have arranged with?

Aren't forums great!

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chinese New Year

Normally it would b rediculous to travel long distance among the masses on Chinese new year.The long distance trains to Beijing/Xian/Hubei/Shenzhen/Shenyang /Xiamen etc etc would b fully booked n the stations jammed.

Unlike the long distance trains which would b diificult to get tickets,trains to Nanjing/Hangzhou and Suzhou r still possible.,as they r not far away.E ticket bookings r now available for the lunar spring new year but bear in mind that there r still some hitches on booking them online as many had experienced difficulty in getting them booked.

Unless u can get yr tickets ready which can b booked 9 days in advance it would b possible for u to do Suzhou even as a day trip.Maybe u could consider asking yr hotel to book them for u.It would b the best option

.Also remember that the parks/gardens/attractions in Suzhou will b packed with locals as well.

Locals will need id to purchase and foreigners a copy of their passport.Each person can buy 1 ticket and the names must b correct.They will check at random or more frequent now at the entrance to the trains platform to avoid scalping of tickets during the new year.

Get yr hotel concierge to get for u.It would nb easiset as the stations ticket counters r packed everyday from now.

Other booking offices in Shanghai r 230 East Beijing road,1738 West Beijing road.431 Changyang road.Here at this offices their will charge u extra 5 Rmb/ticket/

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,915 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chinese New Year

Taxi is available for sure but the number is much less than in normal days, you will get one at train station but worried if you would catch one on street or at your hotel ( if it is big branded one, should be no problem). As you know this day is an important day of family reunion for Chinese people, few people still earn a living out of home.

Most tourist spots are open in Chinese New Year. Only note that it would be extremely crowded in some temples while lonely in most other tourist spots.

> Would it be crazy for me to travel from Shanghai to Suzhou and or Zhujiajao on January 22? Can I visit both villages in one day?

---------Only if you hire a car, they are doable in one day. And you could take bullet train to Suzhou, ticket is available without hustle. Personally i recommend you see Suzhou plus Tongli. Getting out of Suzhou Train Station, turn left, walk couples of minutes, you will find a bus terminal launching buses to Tongli.

New York
Level Contributor
82 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chinese New Year

Thank you for all the useful information yet again.

9. Re: Chinese New Year

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2013, 10:18