We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to book MAGLEV from PVG to Shanghai?

London
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
How to book MAGLEV from PVG to Shanghai?

Ni Hao!

I do not speak a word of Chinese, although I presume this won't be a problem at PVG seeing as English is the language of aviation. However, I still do not know how or when to book a MAGLEV train journey to the station in Shanghai.

And when there, I will presumably need taxi to my hotel? I know taxi drivers speak no English at all (why would they?) so I will need the hotel name printed in Chinese?

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,929 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to book MAGLEV from PVG to Shanghai?

Maglev doesn't lead to downtown. You will need to deal with taxi after all. Paste your hotel name here, i will give you hotel name and some words you need to show taxi driver in Chinese.

London
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to book MAGLEV from PVG to Shanghai?

I will be hopefully staying at budget hotel called Ibis Hotel Yu Garden.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,349 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to book MAGLEV from PVG to Shanghai?

Buying the Maglev ticket willl not be a problem, they are used to tourists. It is however unlkely that the taxi driver will speak any english. Get the hotel name in writing in Chinese as well as the phone number. The subway is also an option.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,916 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to book MAGLEV from PVG to Shanghai?

You buy the Maglev ticket just before boarding it. From it's terminal in Shanghai you can take the subway/underground. However, if you have a heavy bag the changeover can be a hassle.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to book MAGLEV from PVG to Shanghai?

You dont really need to speak chinese to buy maglev train tickets.Upon exit from the airport immigration clearance at the arrival hall ,just follow the significant prominent MAGLEV sign.Its fairly easy just follow the sign but its quite a lengthy walk as its located in between the T1 and T2.Walk usually takes about 5 minutes.

Reach the Maglev train ticket counter produce your remaining portion of airticket or boarding pass will entitle you to a 20%discount,so a cost of 40Rmb pertrip.Remember that a child below 120cm is free.

Maglev train commutes netween Shanghai Pudong airport and Longyang station(still at Pudong area)every 10 to 15 minutes.Ride is fast at max.431km/hr takes about 7 to 8 minutes to cover over 30kms.

Upon exit from Longyang station you could decide to continue your journey to your hotel either by metro which is located in the same adjacent building or go to the official taxi queue for taxis.Take note that many had been scammed by the unlicensed or by the taxis which were not in the queue.As long as you know roughly the cost to your hotel with the name clearly written in chinese and and it should go by meter too,it shouldnt be a problem.It should be a breeze.There are elevators up and down at Maglev but some metro stations have only elevators going up.You need to handle your luggage issue as well.

Cary, NC
Level Contributor
261 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to book MAGLEV from PVG to Shanghai?

I am staying at the Le Royal Meridien at 789 Nanjing Rd East. Which metro line goes there from the Longyang station and how much is the ticket? We are staying in Shanghi for 2.5 days, is there any daily metro pass?

How much is a taxi fare from Longyang station to LRM?

Thanks!

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to book MAGLEV from PVG to Shanghai?

Its very easy as your hotel is smacked in the prime area of Nanjing donglu/JiuJiang lu.

After exiting the maglev walk across to the next interconnected building,2 minutes walk,just follow the metro line 2 sign.Get the ticket from the vending machine at the metro station.It is bilingual and easy to use.It will cost you 4 Rmb per person from Longyang metro station to Nanjing East road station.Choose metro line 2.The Nanjing donglu station is the sixth station from here.

At Nanjing East station exit Gate 1.You will come out to the middle of the busy pedestrian street of Nanjing east road.Walk towards right of this street..,as you can actually see your hotel ,the tallest building there with the weird antennae like structure at its top.Its about 100 to 150 meters walk.The walk is comfortable along this interesting bustling street.The back entrance of the hotel faces Nanjing donglu and the main entrance faces JiuJiang lu.

Altogether your trip from the Pudong airport by maglev then metro to your hotel will cost you 40+4Rmb.,and takes about 30 to 40 minutes.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to book MAGLEV from PVG to Shanghai?

For daily use card you can get the SPTC card or called Jiaotong card.This card can also be used for ferries,metro,busses,taxis,tourist centers,carparks,fuel stations,express ways,maglev.

The card comes in various categpries.The standard card has a refundale 30Rmb.Other types with lower 20Rmb cannot be refunded but saleable by other means.

Shanghai, China
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How to book MAGLEV from PVG to Shanghai?

oh my god, no need to book the maglev, the train is always like empty. Take the train when you got there.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
461 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to book MAGLEV from PVG to Shanghai?

hehe.. Jimmy is right. the maglev train is empty at most time. So just go there and buy ticket when you need it either in pudong airport or long yang road maglev station. They are english board around to show you direction, so no worries.

and yes, printing your hotel name in Chinese is a good ideal.