We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 park and 1 temple - what ones?

London
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
1 park and 1 temple - what ones?

Arriving day 1 around midafternoon, I plan to check into my hotel (Gran Melia) and straight away go and see the Pudong area with all the skyscrapers, and hope to get up on the SWFC observation platform. Then early evening, use the sightseeing tunnel to get over to the Bund.

Day 2 I will spend doing things like Nanjing Road, Yuyuan Garden, and Xintiandi.

Day 3 will be more touristy things like the aquarium and possibly Happy Valley.

However, to fill in some gaps I want to visit a green park and also visit a temple.

There are Fuxing Park, People's Park, Zhongshan Park...which of these is the most impressive? I in particular like manicured gardens.

Also regarding temples, there is Jade Buddha, Old City God's Temple etc, but I am not knowing which is the one most worth seeing. I would only dedicate an hour or so to a temple.

Mentioned in this post
Xintiandi
Xintiandi
1,418 Reviews
Shanghai, China
Fuxing Park
Fuxing Park
498 Reviews
Shanghai, China
Nanjing
Nanjing
Jiangsu, China
Zhongshan
Zhongshan
Guangdong, China
The Bund Hotel
The Bund Hotel
582 Reviews
Shanghai, China
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 park and 1 temple - what ones?

There are not many manicured garden as far as in Shanghai is concerned if its like the european style gardens.Probably weather not permitting chinese gardens tend to have less manicured plants ,however we do have many impressive natural stone sculptures and fengshui elements in the architectured buildings.For gardens probably the best place to go is Suzhou.

Here in Shanghai , Century park would fit in for you.Now is the season for plum and peach blossums and you would be able to see some blooming at Century park.It is also the biggest park here.

However if its activities are concerned by the locals ,charm and added life in the park like morning exercises ,taichi etc then Fuxing park in the early morning is the best.Maybe you can do both.

For temple among the most notable one is the Jade Buddha having the largest Jade sitting buddha with an equally impressive Jade reclining Buddha from Burma.Its the best to go to.Next best would be Jing an si and the Longhua temple.

Mentioned in this post
Century Park
Century Park
386 Reviews
Shanghai, China
Longhua Temple
Longhua Temple
421 Reviews
Shanghai, China
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Guilin
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 park and 1 temple - what ones?

Those small parks acutally don't offer much to see and not that distictly different. Zhongshan Park relatively is bigger in size and probably offers more to view.

Old City God's Temple is common sights in other cities of China to worshipp the god od land and small for about half an hour visit. Jade Buddha Temple is special with the small Jade buddha statute and the visit takes about 1 hour.

Mentioned in this post
Jade Buddha Temple
Jade Buddha Temple
1,260 Reviews
Shanghai, China
Hangzhou, China
Level Contributor
192 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 park and 1 temple - what ones?

In addition to Benny, the Chenghuangmiao (Old city god temple) is actually an old street area with local markets, worth visit too.

And according to your itnerary, you can actually visit both temples, one park, and more.

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,548 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 park and 1 temple - what ones?

I think you are looking to visit YuYuan Garden, a fine example of Chinese feng shui garden design, as opposed to an open park with lots of flower beds and shrubbery.

I suggest you also visit Fuxing Park, but to people watch. The gardens are nice based on a French design, but the people are doing unique things to the western eye. And you get to see real Shanghainese, not all the tourists you will be encountering elsewhere.

I suggest you read this thread for more help: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g308272-i2804-k530… Pro or con, take the Big Bus or avoid it.

Most people head to the Jade Buddha Temple for a tour. I prefer temples as restored in other cities, so the Shanghai temples are fairly pedestrian to me. You might consider visiting the Confucius Temple in Old Shanghai when you are nearby.

Mentioned in this post
Fuxing Park
Fuxing Park
498 Reviews
Shanghai, China
Jade Buddha Temple
Jade Buddha Temple
1,260 Reviews
Shanghai, China
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Providenciales
Level Contributor
914 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 park and 1 temple - what ones?

Chinese parks are definately way different to European parks but they are great places to spend a little time.

Some good suggestions above - my personal favorite is Changfeng park in the northwest of the city. I have little kids and there are tons of activities there for them. The park itself is also quite nice.

Two other options - if you do make it out to Happy Valley (which I would personally skip but it's your choice) there is a place called the Sheshan Sculpture Park. It's expensive to enter but it's big, well maintained and a bit unique. It's like a park for rich people only....

Another option for something a bit managed is the Shanghai Botanical Gardens - it's relatively central and has lots of different styles of gardens all designed within the larger park. It's cheap to enter. Wouldn't be on my top 10 list of places to visit but it's a very pleasant place to spend time and if you have an interest in things botanical it may be worth while.

Mentioned in this post
Changfeng Park
Changfeng Park
62 Reviews
Shanghai, China
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,754 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 park and 1 temple - what ones?

Fuxing park & people's park both are good depending on your itinerary.

jade buddha temple is Buddhism but city god's temple is a taoism temple, they are totally different. T

7. Re: 1 park and 1 temple - what ones?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 10:15