We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Shanghai

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Shanghai

Hey guys,

I am travelling to China in August in for 2 and a half weeks. I am flying into Shanghai and home from Beijing.

I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what to do, how long to spend where and how to travel whilst in China. I have done a fair bit of reading and it seems train travel is by far the best option but it can be difficult to book train journeys before you get to China?

Also any suggestion of how long to stay in Shanghai? I am currently booked in for 3 nights, it is just myself and my partner travelling.

Any suggestions, hints, tips or stories are much appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Shanghai

Do a bit of research on the forum on that to do and come back with more specific questions. 3 nights is enough for Shanghai. Also be aware that August is the hottest month with up to 39C during the day and high humidity. Lows during the night ard 33C.

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,548 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Shanghai

Hi Jean,

First you need an itinerary. I suggest you get a copy of the DK Eyewitness Guide to China to figure out where you want to go.

Second, you need to define your objectives. Scenic wonders, shopping, historical sites, history in general, architecture, rural peasant farming, outdoor recreation, contact with real Chinese people and customs, tourist sights not at all unique to China, etc. etc.

Some go to Shanghai and see tall skyscrapers (seen in many cities), then walk along the river (waterfronts also common in most cities), go to tourist trinket bazaars where no natives ever go (common to everywhere), and eat in expensive westernized restaurants, again with no natives to be seen. Then they think they have seen Shanghai.

Third you need a budget.

Maybe then we can help you. But we are shooting in the dark at this point.

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Guilin, China
Level Contributor
206 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Shanghai

2.5 week including 2 cities is a loose tour. from my perspective.

As mentioned, Shanghai is for 3 nights if you do not plan to have some days to the surrounded water towns. Shanghai is a big city but few relaxed places in the downtown area. I love to have a walk along the Bund in the evening time since I have been there for 2 nights in last year.

General attractions to recommend are Yuyuan Garden, Jade Buddha Temple, Oriental TV Tower or World Financial Center, the Bund. And you can experience the nightlife in Xintiandi, shopping in Nanjing Road.

It is better to get some itineraries by yourself and we can help you to revise it.

Mentioned in this post
Jade Buddha Temple
Jade Buddha Temple
1,260 Reviews
Shanghai, China
Shanghai World Financial Center
Shanghai World Financial...
3,952 Reviews
Shanghai, China
Xintiandi
Xintiandi
1,418 Reviews
Shanghai, China
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Nanjing
Nanjing
Jiangsu, China
The Bund Hotel
The Bund Hotel
582 Reviews
Shanghai, China
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Shanghai

Thank you for your replies I realise my trip is extremely loose but that's how I travel ..... I like to get advice from tavellers that have been there or those you meet in hostels along the way. My original plan was to head from Shanghai to xi'an and from there to Beijing. However I would like to see rural China and really explore the real China. I am quite an experienced traveller and am quite open to any suggestions.

Does anyone k ow if train travel is easy? As in ...... Can you easily purchase tickets a few days in advanced from over there?

Maybe shanghai - xi'an - Beijing is not the best route and I may see China better travelling from Shanghai to Beijing.

Apologies again for the vagueness I am really open to any suggestions.

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Xi'an
Xi'an
Shaanxi, China
Chicago
Level Contributor
338 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Shanghai

Try to get to Yunnan and Zhongdian for sure. I also loved Guilin. Don't miss Xian for sure. Perhaps 2-3 days in Beijing and 3 days in Shanghai.

You're Irish yes? I know there's Irish bars everywhere but you really should definetly go to O'Malleys in Shanghai.

Mentioned in this post
Guilin
Guilin
Guangxi, China
Xi'an
Xi'an
Shaanxi, China
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Shanghai

3 days Shanghai,2 days for Jiangnan like Suzhou/Tongli or Hangzhou/Xitang.4days Beijing plus a Mutianyu Great wall tour.And another 5 to 6 days at Chengdu/Zhangjiajie/Fenghuang.OR you can instead of Chengdu?ZJJ/Fenhuang,you can slot in Xian/Guilin and Yangshuo.

Yes train travel is probably the most convenient now esp between Shanghai to Beijing or vice versa.Train tickets can be booked easily on your arrival and in advance by your hotel concierge or theough booking offices or personally by yourself.Trains tickets normally go on booking from 5 to 10 days ahead but it also depends on each arrival or departing station.

Mentioned in this post
Mutianyu Great Wall Tour
Mutianyu Great Wall Tour
393 Reviews
Beijing, China
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Suzhou
Suzhou
Jiangsu, China
Hangzhou
Hangzhou
Zhejiang, China
Chengdu
Chengdu
Sichuan, China
Zhangjiajie
Zhangjiajie
Hunan, China
Xi'an
Xi'an
Shaanxi, China
Guilin
Guilin
Guangxi, China
Yangshuo County
Yangshuo County
Guangxi, China
Chicago
Level Contributor
338 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to Shanghai

Unless you must see the pandas I would skip Chengdu. A lot of Chinese cities are crowded and polluted but Chengdu was one of the worst, in my opinion. I don't see why you would go there aside from Leshan Giant Buddha and the pandas. Xian/Yunna/n(Guilin boat trip)are much better options.

Also, why Suzhou? It's a nice smaller city but not worth going out of the way for when you have a short amount of time, is it?

Mentioned in this post
Chengdu
Chengdu
Sichuan, China
Xi'an
Xi'an
Shaanxi, China
Guilin
Guilin
Guangxi, China
Suzhou
Suzhou
Jiangsu, China
Providenciales
Level Contributor
914 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to Shanghai

Skip O'Malley's. It's a total rip off. You won't find any Irish there. Try Blarney Stone or the Camel instead. There is a large Irish community in Shanghai. LeCheile Shanghai is a loose association and they have a web page with events.. You could also stop by one of the Gaelic Football practices Tuesday night at Luwan Stadium if you are in town on a Tuesday if you want to meet other Irish. The social scene is quite active (just not at O'Malleys)

I think your plan is great. Most people on here seem to like to have things scheduled to the minute but travelling as you suggest is a great way to see China. You can buy train tickets up to 10 or 12 days in advance but unless you are here at a holiday, getting them a few days in advance will be no problem.

You should know though that unless you are taking the slow trains, airplane travel is often a comparable cost to high speed trains and another option especially if you are travelling a long way. Almost all the places listed here are on the tourist track and if you haven't been to China before you should know that that means ENDLESS throngs of mostly Chinese people swarming over everything you go to visit. Frankly, although visually impressive, my visits to these places have not been very enjoyable unless you go in the off season. Combine it with silly temperatures in August and it's not much fun.

Pick up a Lonely Planet and look for some off the beaten track options. Head into the far west or into Inner Mongolia or the far north to get away from some of the tourists and experience a side of China most never see.

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip to Shanghai

Thank you so much everyone for your replies....I am done a bit of reading and looked into your suggestion.

I am now looking at Shanghai-Guilin-lijing-xi'an-Beijing

How does this sound? Also can you travel by train To these places as flights are quite expensive :-(

And yes we are Irish so will definitely be checking out the local pubs!

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Guilin
Guilin
Guangxi, China
Xi'an, China
Level Contributor
289 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip to Shanghai

the train No Z19/20 is a best train trip Between Xi'an to Beijing, this is overnight train.

Mentioned in this post
Xi'an
Xi'an
Shaanxi, China