We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Les Suites Orient or Gran Melia

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
617 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Les Suites Orient or Gran Melia

Hi

I am planning a trip to Shanghai with my husband and 3 kids and looking to book either of the above hotels. This is our first time there and we're looking to cover the usual tourist sights.

Our ideal hotel will be near eateries, shopping malls and easy transportation (not sure if we will take the subway as I have a toddler with me!). (OT-Will most taxis in Shanghai take 5? )

Anyway, which of these hotels is better located? LSO has quoted a higher rate but it includes breakfast and is highly rated. Gran Melia doesn't seem to have a package including breakfast (is it easy to find breakfast near the hotel? Buffet breakfast for 5 will add up over 3-4 days!) but the rooms are about 13m2 bigger!

Or...if anyone has another hotel which may be ideal, please suggest. We are looking at at least 4-5 star hotels, about US$150-US$250 a night per room.

Decisions, decisions. Any input is most welcome!

London
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Les Suites Orient or Gran Melia

I am posting this from Gran Melia, having arrived a few hours ago.

First impressions of the hotel were awesome. Amazing extravagant lobby with friendly staff, and the rooms are brilliant too.

However, although the room prices are pretty good, you will find that everything else is way overpriced. It is not the kind of of hotel where you can pop out to the 7-11 and bring back bags of goodies. They kind of expect you to pay for it in-house, judging by the way the staff act.

A simple can of Coke from your room mini bar will set you back $6.50, whereas a sandwich will be $15 or thereabouts. There are expensive restuarants in the hotel, a Spanish, a Chinese, and a few bars including a Champagne Bar - which kind of tells you what kind of hotel this is!

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Les Suites Orient or Gran Melia

Grand Melia is a 5 star hotel,new and with some of the latest state of the art facilities.,with its location near the Huangpu river right at the prime location of the financial center of Shanghai would explain why the cost is much higher.Shanghai is a rising city and now the cost of many things have escalated too.

But not to the extent of a 40Rmb coke or a 20+mineral water.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
617 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Les Suites Orient or Gran Melia

thanks, the prices sound quite high (thankfully we hardly raid the fridge in hotels). nonetheless i've kinda decided to stay at the puxi side for now - more touristy , therefore perhaps more suitable form first time tourists! :)

4. Re: Les Suites Orient or Gran Melia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 02:41