We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do any taxis have seatbelts in Shanghai?

London
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Do any taxis have seatbelts in Shanghai?

Now, maybe I just couldn't work it out, but there were seatbelts present that go over your abdomen, but then nowhere on the seats to actually connect the belt with, to make them safe.

I had a taxi driver take me back to PuDong Airport and I am sure he was doing at least 90mph on the motorway. I felt very uneasy as any kind of sudden stop and I would have been thrown out the front window, probably dead.

Is this the case for all taxis, or did I just get unlucky?

I had a good time in Shanghai, aside from a couple of minor issues, but I wish taxi drivers wouldn't race each other on the motorway with passengers aboard.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,930 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do any taxis have seatbelts in Shanghai?

Yes, case is same for most taxi. Belts are hidden. The taxi speed you experienced in Shanghai is very normal, most first visitosr may not get used to this though.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,060 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do any taxis have seatbelts in Shanghai?

No, this is not normal speed. Maybe it felt like 90 mph but I doubt it was this fast. There are photo-radars everywhere so generally drivers ar not very fast.

Taxis generallyhave seat belts. Maybe this one did not instal his seat covers properly.

Providenciales
Level Contributor
868 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do any taxis have seatbelts in Shanghai?

The seat belts are sometimes there but the seat belt attachments are usually cut out.

Some drivers know exactly where the photo-radars are and slow down for them and then speed up again. I know my driver does.

The expo taxis - these are the relatively new high back cars (Volkswagons too I think?) have seat belts in the back seats and are relatively popular. If you are willing to wait for a free one to come along you can have a seat belt. This is what we do when we need to travel with our newborn and don't have our driver available. Doesn't usually take too long.... (Unless it's raining).....

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,942 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do any taxis have seatbelts in Shanghai?

I think you over estimated the speed. 90 Km per hour maybe, but definitely not 90 mph.

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,532 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do any taxis have seatbelts in Shanghai?

Photo radars are at every overpass. They resemble strobe lights, flashing all the time. Very highly doubtful your taxi driver was ignoring these. Police patrol this. Wasn't always this way. A few years ago, indeed this was a formula racing experience. Times change.

Some taxis have rear seat seat belts. Best bet is to sit in front like many Chinese do. You might find them there.

I have taken this route many times, and it can appear to be very fast, as road is straight and flat almost the whole way. Taxi drivers also may tend to take a racing position behind the wheel, as opposed to more laid-back western style.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,263 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do any taxis have seatbelts in Shanghai?

Not sure about Shanghai specifically but in Southern China seat belts for the front seat passenger are compulsory. I usually sit in the front. Sometimes in the back the car will have a seat cover which makes it impossible to use the seat belts.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do any taxis have seatbelts in Shanghai?

There are seat belts in the front seat.Usually when we travel alone we used to sit in the front maybe out of respect for the driver but it is not a must.

China is just like many other foreign countries which the rear seatbelts may not be mandatory.Im not sure about those compulsory countries.

Unlikly that your santana car can travel more than 90km/hr.He should be qualified for the F1 tracts however i doubt that he will be holding on his driving license if he did so in Shanghai.Back to driving school or out of job.

Shanghai
Level Contributor
7 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do any taxis have seatbelts in Shanghai?

Short answer: backseat generally don't have belts, front seat almost always has them.

going at 90km/h? I've seen it done, but generally they don't do it. Those strobe lights sparky said stops them. Or they simply slow down for the strobe, then speed up right after it.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,930 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do any taxis have seatbelts in Shanghai?

90 isn't a record. A similar report without seatbelts: Taxi driver did 35 KM in 18 mins on way from PVG to Yangpu Bridge. Average tempo is 120 KM. Total charge is135 RMB.

Edited: 15 May 2012, 07:07
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do any taxis have seatbelts in Shanghai?

Oh my typing error what i meant is the OP said 90mile/hour that is close to 200km/hr.