We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No visa <48 hr in Shaghai; Can go out of Shanghai?

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
249 posts
1 review
Save Topic
No visa <48 hr in Shaghai; Can go out of Shanghai?

According to China Embassy, if US citizens stay less than 48 hours do not need visa. If we arrive at PVG around 6:30am and leave around 6:30pm the following day, with 36 hr stopover, can we go to any place in China as long as we come back to PVG to catch the plane in time.

Has anyone done this? Or we must stay in Shanghai.

china-embassy.org/eng/ywzn/lsyw/vpna/rap/t90…

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,708 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No visa <48 hr in Shaghai; Can go out of Shanghai?

"...... and staying for no more than 48 hours in Shanghai."

If you stay in a hotel, your passport must be submitted for registration at the front desk. They will see the hexagonal transit stamp but no visa sticker. Clerks who want to keep their jobs (and hotels who want to keep their licences) will likely report this to the local PSB.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
249 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: No visa <48 hr in Shaghai; Can go out of Shanghai?

Thanks bibimbob. I shouldn't have thought of taking this as a way to getting arround the visa fee. I will be probably plan for 3 days and pay visa fee.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No visa <48 hr in Shaghai; Can go out of Shanghai?

You will need a Visa if you step ourside the airport and purchase accommodation.

You will require your passport with you for the hotel check in. The staff are very dilligent and they can lose their jobs if they do not conform to the rules.

It is best to apply and secure a visa. It is really not worth the risk.

Kind regards

Albon

Oh a couple of tips for you.

Buy from street vendors several packets of paper tissues as most place do not provide paper for toilet etc.

Have a card with the name and address of the hotel written on it in Chinese Characters. it helps the taxi drivers.

When at the airport and you are going to the hotel make sure you see the meter in the cab. make sure it is not covered up. If it is ask for it to be seen.j

If in doubt when you reach your hotel call the bell boy over and ask him to assist if you are concerned on the price etc. Especially if you get on the Maglev system.

Changing money in China is best as you get a better rate. use the banks ATMs.

Good luck

Albon

Edited: 22 May 2012, 21:48
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,708 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No visa <48 hr in Shaghai; Can go out of Shanghai?

>> You will need a Visa if you step ourside the airport and purchase accommodation.

NOT for US passport holders if staying under 48 hrs and within Shanghai

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,736 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No visa <48 hr in Shaghai; Can go out of Shanghai?

Sorry, but Albon is wrong. You do not need a visa for less than 48 hours.

The visa does not limit where you can go but for sure for three days you need a visa.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No visa <48 hr in Shaghai; Can go out of Shanghai?

My apologies if i am wrong I was only going from what my Son informed me of the short stay and movements from the Airport as you walk into Shanghai.

He said that as soon as you walk out of the airport from Customs then you require your passport to be validated and the visa checked.

Please accept my apoligies and I take the full blame of any misleading.. I will make sure my son informs me correctly next time.

Albon

Edited: 23 May 2012, 00:25
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No visa <48 hr in Shaghai; Can go out of Shanghai?

travelchinaguide.com/embassy/visa/intro2.htm

My apologies I did not read the country you were coming from correctly. My mistake.

JP thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Albon

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,736 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No visa <48 hr in Shaghai; Can go out of Shanghai?

No worries Albon. You guys always have visas and never worry about this rule.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: No visa <48 hr in Shaghai; Can go out of Shanghai?

That is true.

Take care JP enjoy the beautiful weather.

Long time before I return to Changsha October!

Albon

Edited: 23 May 2012, 02:29
10. Re: No visa <48 hr in Shaghai; Can go out of Shanghai?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 08:42