We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what natural places are there to do near shanghai?

Coventry, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
what natural places are there to do near shanghai?

I am stopping in shanghai for 2 days and would like to do something natural like climb a mountain.

Are there any misty mountains round there? If so, where are they and how far are they from Shanghai?

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,799 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what natural places are there to do near shanghai?

Huangshan is probably the closest mountain. It's an hour's flight from Shanghai.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what natural places are there to do near shanghai?

Huangshan essentially needs about 3 days.,and with time constraints it would save time by going there by plane to Huangshan city and car then followed by cable car to mountain top.For mountain climbing and perfect views,Huangshan is among the best in China.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g303685-d5…

Other destination i can think of is Moganshan.You can reach there by train or car.It takes about 3 hours journey and easier to reach.

The other though it has no mountain climb but with nature reserves is at Chongming island.Its about 2 hours from Shanghai,at the mouth of the Yangtze river delta. here places of interests are the Dongtan wetland,Dongping forest park,Qianwei ecology village,Xisha wetlands park.

Providenciales
Level Contributor
845 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what natural places are there to do near shanghai?

Moganshan is pretty and can be misty, especially in the winter. There are also mountains around Hangzhou, 2-3 hours south. Otherwise, Shanghai is flat as a pancake and not the best for natural scenery.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,577 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what natural places are there to do near shanghai?

A bit further out than Moganshan is Anji County. Beautiful misty bamboo forests and lots of waterfalls. Parts of "Crouching tiger ..." were filmed there. About 3-4 hours from Shanghai so needs an overnight.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what natural places are there to do near shanghai?

Hi there I dont know about mountains but I did a great day trip to Suzhou and Zhouzhuang. Suzhou are famous for their beautiful gardens - some of the most well known in china and Zhouzhuang is one of the oldest water towns in china. Its a sort of chinese version of Venice. If you dont go there during national holidays like i did both of these places are charming and well worth a day trip. If you dont want to do it on your own there are plenty of agencies that organize this as a combined day trip from ShanghaI. You may want to consider it as an altertnative.

have a great trip

angie

www.angietravels.com

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what natural places are there to do near shanghai?

for more info on Mt Huangshan :

www.bennystar99.blogspot.com

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
28 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what natural places are there to do near shanghai?

You can go to West Lake in Hangzhou, 2 hours by train.

There are several "water towns" around Shanghai, about an hour drive away.

Also, a wetlands near Shanghai but I cant remember the name.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what natural places are there to do near shanghai?

Shanghai to Hangzhou by G train takes slightly less than an hour about 50+minutes.

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,520 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what natural places are there to do near shanghai?

To do something "natural" I suggest, as others have, you travel to Hangzhou, usually not one of my top recommendations, but a perfect place for long bike riding. It is a picturesque area for bike rides, with a large, round clean clear lake, pagoda, and causeways.

I would not go on a weekend, because of the crowds. The bikes are free around the lake, and you put down a deposit of 300 yuan per bike (get a receipt) and return anywhere at the similar bike stands on the lake, about a dozen well marked, including Ling Ying Temple. west of West Lake.

You will have a great time getting some exercise, fresh air, and seeing one of the most popular places in China, somewhat boastfully called "The Best Tourism City of China."

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,442 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what natural places are there to do near shanghai?

Read this: cityweekend.com.cn/beijing/…