We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day only - need expert advice on Shanghai day trip

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Midland, Michigan
Level Contributor
210 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
One day only - need expert advice on Shanghai day trip

I'm going to be in Shanghai this sunday - August 5th. It is going to be hot and I have one day to leave the city and looking for advice on which locaiton is best during a hot summer day .

I know there are many options: Zhujiajiao, Suzhou, Hangzhou, Qibao....and others I haven't listed.

Thanks

NNJ
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day only - need expert advice on Shanghai day trip

None of these places is good for a hot and humid day. If you have to visit one of these places, I would suggest visiting Qibao. Other places are too far for a one-day stay. Qibao is <30 min subway ride from downtown and has enough old “water town” flavor for a first time visitor. You can spend total of 2-3 hours there and save time for other Shanghai attarctions.

Edited: 02 August 2012, 00:35
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day only - need expert advice on Shanghai day trip

You can take subway line 9 to Qibao.Exit gate 2 to Qibao old town.

August is still very hot and humid.So its pretty uncomfortable in most of the places mentioned.

If you dont mind the crowd at this particular time,a day trip to Suzhou/Tongli is also possible.I dont like going Hangzhou in August as the crowd is massive esp at the westlake.

It would be better to take G train if you plan to go there ,buses would be so uncomfortable in this summer heat.

Zhujiajiao -half day trip should be sufficient.You need to go by taxi or car.A half day trip there inclusive of the taxi transport plus waiting time and back to hotel may cost you about 500Rmb.

Other cheap way is of course the bus.

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,471 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day only - need expert advice on Shanghai day trip

Hi 1travel123,

It is kinda late to plan a weekend day. (Chinese people are predominantly tourists in China, and weekends are peak days.) Also we don't know your specific interests.

So everything will be crowded at local tourist spots on a hot summer day. Enduring a hassle to get somewhere is another aggravation. So I would keep it simple and close.

First suggestion is to take the long boat trip from Shanghai out to the Yangtze River. I was bored most of the time, looking at industrial shipyards and such, but it should be cooler. Second, you could spend the day in the Shanghai Museum, City of Shanghai History Museum, and world-class aquarium. All a/c.

Hangzhou, Suzhou and the various water towns will be crowded, plus you have travel time, transfers, waiting in lines, etc. Perhaps the easiest would be a fast-train trip to Hangzhou and back and riding the small electric tourist boats on West Lake visiting the various park islands. The surrounding water will keep you cool and the scenery is very nice. This is not one of my favorite things to do, but on a hot summer day, why not? Get a very early start to Hangzhou though, and buy tickets in advance through the hotel.

Midland, Michigan
Level Contributor
210 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day only - need expert advice on Shanghai day trip

Thanks for the reply. I have been to Shanghai numerous times and just wanted to get out and see something different. My interests is general touring and people watching.

A co-worker mentioned Wuzhen....can't you take a high speed train there? What do folks think?

Shanghai
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: One day only - need expert advice on Shanghai day trip

I would highly recommend WuXi for the beauty of "Yuan Tou Zhu"(鼋头渚). It's so beautiful, that I only regret that I haven't visit there earlier.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
182 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day only - need expert advice on Shanghai day trip

Sorry to interrupt but i too have a similar question.. I want to take a transit where i will stay in Shanghai for 22 hours. it will on the 24th of October. I will be arriving @ 12 pm. Any suggestions on how to make maximum use of this time? Which area should i stay at ( preferably close to shopping )? Areas or places to visit or things to do in the limited time i have?

Thanks in advance

Hangzhou, China
Level Contributor
192 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day only - need expert advice on Shanghai day trip

To Vicky M

if you arrive at 12 p.m. I think first of all, you should take a sleep in any place with reasonable price and can bring you a tight sleep.

It is better to check out for your day exploration next morning. Thus location is not really important.

If its not a weekend, and if it is your fisrt time Shanghai, start with the Bund, take a cruise tour or not, the old street is charming, then you can visit the Yuyuan garde, chenghuangmiao area ( actually is a market rather than temple.)

And museum is always the best place to start knowing a place.

I am not sure about your budget, I recommend holiday inns or ibis, you can either booking through ctrip.com or expedia.com or elong.com

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
182 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One day only - need expert advice on Shanghai day trip

@ Shawshank B

Thank you for your reply...

Actually my flight will land @ 12.20 pm to be exact, I have flight next day morning @ 10 am so that rules out anything in the morning. So what can you suggest to do from say (After checking in) say from 3pm to 10/12 pm? That is why I asked about which area to book a hotel @? So I can save time travelling. My budget can be around 60-80$ usd. The reason I mentioned the shopping area is as I will also have a friend with me. I know I am basically asking u guys what I can do in 6-8 hours in Shanghai. So any suggestion is good. The cruise was in my plan... with a 60-80$ range which area do you think I should stay @?

Edited: 03 August 2012, 12:43
9. Re: One day only - need expert advice on Shanghai day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 21:15