We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip to Wuzhen - transportation help needed

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Midland, Michigan
Level Contributor
210 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip to Wuzhen - transportation help needed

I'm trying to plan a one day excursion out of Shanghai this sunday Aug 5th... I was recommended Wuzhen. What is the quickest way to get there....is there high speed service.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,915 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip to Wuzhen - transportation help needed

Xitang is much more close to Shanghai. Wuzhen is more a side trip from Hangzhou not Shanghai. No high speed ones to both.

Midland, Michigan
Level Contributor
210 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip to Wuzhen - transportation help needed

How do you get to Xitang...do you have to take a guided tour?

NNJ
Level Contributor
3,027 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip to Wuzhen - transportation help needed

Have been to all of these water towns: Xitang, zhouzhuan, Tongli, Zhujiajiao, Jinqi, Qibao, Wuzhen, ... To me and probably 99.9% of the tourists, they are the same. Qibao is the smallest and not as well tuned for tourist as the super water town Zhouzhuan. Since you do have whole day to spare, just talk to hotel concierge to book any water town bus tour that will pick you up from your hotel (there is probably no bus tour to Qibao, because it’s near subway station). I saw a booth in downtown selling the bus tours including Tongli and Wuzhen for 99Y, while I was in Shanghai a few weeks ago.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip to Wuzhen - transportation help needed

Tongli is very close to Suzhou,40 mins by cab.And Suzhou is only about 25mins++from Shanghai by G trains.It is actually quite relaxed to do Tongli and Suzhou as a day trip.,been selectively in the places you go in Suzhou.Buses and cabs are easy to get to Tongli from Suzhou railway station.Cab from Suzhou to Tongli cost about 80Rmb.,Bus is 8Rmb but its 80Rmb if inclusive of the entrance fees.,entitle to enter various sites in the watertown but not inclusive of the sex museum.

For Xitang you would need to take the G train to Jiashan and from here take the cab/bus or minibus to Xitang.

Buses also available to go Xitang directly.Buses depart from Shanghai South long distance bus station (666Shilong road,Xuhui),takes about 1 hr+to reach operating from 0700 to 1830hrs.Nearest metro station to the bus station is line1&3.

For wuzhen,You can get train to Tongxiang and from there take bus or cab to Wuzhen.

Buses also leaves directly from Shanghai South long distance bus station to Wuzhen.timings at 0835/0954/1327/1425/1953..Duration about 2 hours.

Other departing station is from 258Hengfeng road.Zhabei.From here the bus leave for Jiaxing so you would need to take cab/bus to Wuzhen.Takes about 20 mins and there are many buses between these two towns.

Midland, Michigan
Level Contributor
210 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip to Wuzhen - transportation help needed

OK - a co-worker is going to drive me...and they recommend XiTang... We are leaving 8am from Shanghai. Is Xitang an all day event or is there somewhere else we should visit after Xitang?

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip to Wuzhen - transportation help needed

It would be good to visit Hangzhou if you can other than Xitang.But Hangzhou requires at least a full day when Xitang can be done for half a day.It will require quite a bit of time juggling to accomodate both.Most of the water villages are quite the same and it is not sensible to visit two unless one had a lot of time.

Midland, Michigan
Level Contributor
210 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip to Wuzhen - transportation help needed

OK - i think I will save Hangzhou when I come up next spring... Cheers

8. Re: Day Trip to Wuzhen - transportation help needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 23:16