We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would my mobile phone work in China?

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
333 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Would my mobile phone work in China?

I have a htc droid incredible originally made for Verizion wireless but now unlocked. Just wondering if it would work in China?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Droid_Incredible

thanks,

John

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
11,679 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would my mobile phone work in China?

I have unlocked AT&T phone and a bag of chips from different countries, the moment I landed, I switch the chip and it works, I've done that for many years, including last week when I visited China. This is normal among our team members, everyone uses their own American phones, whatever system, but we all have local chips, which we bought from street vendors. My chip was bought in China 7-8 years ago, I just kept on adding money (100 yuan) each trip, did that 3 days ago at a street magazine stand in Guangzhou. 100 yuan is enough for me each 7-10 days trip. I kept the same #.

Some chips you cannot add money, they just expire once money is gone or 6 months is up, don't know details.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,696 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would my mobile phone work in China?

Only if roaming and you pay Verizon roaming rates.

The phone only supports CDMA. What happens to AT&T (or other GSM/WCDMA 2100) phones does not apply to you.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
11,679 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would my mobile phone work in China?

World's largest CDMA carrier is China Telecom with 130 million subscribers, surely he can buy a chip for Verizon phone?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,696 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Would my mobile phone work in China?

Good luck to you, then.

Edited: 29 September 2012, 07:54
NNJ
Level Contributor
3,027 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Would my mobile phone work in China?

It will work, if you are a Vorizon's customer and willing to pay $1.99/min!

It will not, if your non-verizon carrier doesn't have an agreement with China for roaming.

It will not, if you are thinking to get a Chinese carriers' sim card, because your phone doesn't have a sim slot, I think (I never used one).

A few things you can do:

-if you will make a lots of calls, get a cheeppy used unlocked GSM "world phone" (even an old mortolora V3 for a few $);

-If not making a lots of call, then put skype app on your phone and add a few $. Use free wifi in hotesl or coffee shops to make calls ( a few cents/min for landline #, free for the calls to other skype users).

Edited: 29 September 2012, 13:16
6. Re: Would my mobile phone work in China?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 11:18