We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to buy in Shanghai?

Castleford, United...
Level Contributor
931 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
What to buy in Shanghai?

I will be going to Shanghai in January on business. Most of the time there it will be all work. But, we will have some free time on the late afternoons and evenings and I plan to do a little shopping.

What are some good, not to be missed buys?

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to buy in Shanghai?

Once brought my mum one of these snuff bottles which are hand-painted (well, that's what they say) on the inside. Now she has a little collection. You can still buy them at the airport as well. More or less same price as down town and quite a good selection if you fly out of T2 - first shop opposite the security check.

chinasnuffbottle.com/chinese/snuff-bottle/sn…

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to buy in Shanghai?

Oh, are you talking about souvenirs or things to buy like electronics or brand names? Those are usually more expensive here than back home. Especially my female Western visitors were always disappointed that the Chinese "fashion" does not appeal to them and brand names are too expensive here.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to buy in Shanghai?

For souvenirs dont buy at airport its too expensive,

the road side souvenir shops are cheaper.,esp if they cater mainly to locals too.But they are not cheap if bought at touristy areas like YuYuan etc.

Malls selling them might only be slightly cheaper than airports.

The imitation and cheap markets s are good buy for this small time souvenirs provided you know the market price before hand and bargain for very cheap.,.whether you make a good buy or not depends on your bargaining skills...

Problem is buying at the cheap markets or at tourist y areas the prices ballooned to a lot.Just for instance in YuYuan bazaar,the prices are normally at least about double that of local shops that cater to locals.

Fakes electronics are abundant and also some chinese made .,not fakes but the quality is questionable.

Pearls and jewelleries if needed to buy stay on the mid range ones which are not too expensive.Jades too as the bargaining can be hilarious and for instance a good looking jade bracelet offering about 8000yuan sometimes can be bargained to a thousand.!!!

This is what shopping is in Shanghai .

Silk comforter/blanket are good to buy but pure silk dont come cheap either. a good one can cost more than 3000yuan.,a set.

For imported items they are much more expensive here than in overseas.

LOcal fashion and sizes might not suit foreigners but you may get them at cheap markets like Qipu road ot A&P Plaza.Again bargaining is a big headache and not able to try out the item before buying is a big risk.

Buying clothes at the malls are quite expensive.You will find that even reputable local brands are expensive.

Branded shoes like LiNing or even Nike are not any cheaper than overseas.

As a local i find so many things are way too expensive here in Shanghai.

If i am a traveller i will just stick to cheap small items and not buy anything expensive here.

In short actually there are many many things one can buy in Shanghai but money is a factor here.Things are actually much more cheaper in Guangzhou.

NNJ
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to buy in Shanghai?

Probably nothing will be missed. Good quality stuff are more expensive, cheaper ones are just simply looking cheaper.

Just eat, don't buy.

If you have to get something, buy some wood, bambo, ceramic/clay or stone crafts.

Castleford, United...
Level Contributor
931 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to buy in Shanghai?

Thanks everyone. I really am only thinking of souviners. I like local crafts. Is that readily availablle?

Alberta
Level Contributor
136 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to buy in Shanghai?

If you plan on visiting YuYuan, when you finish you can walk towards line 10 Yuyuan station. There is a street that sells all sorts of souvenirs from Chinese knots( correct term?) to half silk scarves. I say half silk because it says only 50% silk on the label. It was inexpensive and when you have collegues number more than 20, it makes for a great gift. They are light and easy to carry. Or you can buy tea at PVG terminal 2. After security, there is a shop that sells tea in a variety of small porceline container. They are cute and will make good gift. O, I am not a tea drinker, I don't know tea.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to buy in Shanghai?

Yes there are many local crafts shops at Shanghai museum,YuYuan and the old streets,Qibao,Zhujiajiao,Hongqiao Pearl market ,and also at a few shops along Nanjing east road near the bund before one reaches Fairmont Peace hotel,cheap markets at 580 Nanjing west road,basement of Science and tech museum,Duolun road cultural street,and Dongtai road antique street.

California
Level Contributor
587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to buy in Shanghai?

Carved chops with both chinese and english names are small and pleasing as a gift, the plastic ones are really cheap, just don't chose an expensive stone one.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,491 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to buy in Shanghai?

Plastic chops? Might as well get a rubber stamp.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to buy in Shanghai?

No not the ugly plastic ones.Choose a stone or even jade looking ones like emperor qian long used.as long as the price is reasonable as this is authentic chinese.Gert your chinese name crafted in it.

Chopsticks make perfect gifts as well as tea sets.