We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tour

vancouver
Level Contributor
594 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
tour

I am a single female middle age, thinking of taking an organized tour to china leaving on April 4th for 14 days here is a link to the itinerary and info: https://rewardstravelchina.com/index.php… tour:

I will be taking the single room so will cost me 800 more and with visa etc in total it would be 14 days 3000$ my questions:

Is this worth the price?

is the itinerary a good one to get a quick overall view from china?

Is this a good time to be in China?

anybody had taken any tour with this company?

Will appreciate any feedback , have 2 days to decide if not will opt for another type of trip

This would be my 1st trip to china but i have traveled extensively alone mostly in Europe and some in north america.

Thanks a lot as always for your help

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,325 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tour

Sorry but when I click on the link I cannot really see the tour. Does the price include airfare?

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,504 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tour

Which one are you going on, Classic China (13 days) or Splendid China (15 days). I think paying for single supplement is a bad deal.

vancouver
Level Contributor
594 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tour

Hi thanks for the quick replies,

@jean pierre > yes it includes the airfare and many breakfasts, lunches and dinners

@ thankssocial > i had found it through living social and may be this link would be better as it is a 14 days tour livingsocial.com/escapes/528244-14-day-china…

so it would be 3100 with almost everything except my personal shopping i guess

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,325 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tour

Yes this link is better. My biggest problem with this tour is that it does third rate places but misses the key places such as Beijing. How can one go to China and not visit the Great Wall and Forbidden city? Visiting Wuxi? Really? Like visiting Canada and going to Winnipeg rather than the Rockies.

Looking at you days in Shanghai, they are essentially taking you to places that are free to start with. you could easily do this yourself. This trip may actually cost you more as you add extras in your free time.

You should consider doing this yourself. The only thing you would miss is the company of other travelers. Not sure how much airfare is from Vancouver but it must be less than $1000 as it is $1200-1300 from Montreal. Assume a hotel budget of $100 per day. Food is pretty cheap and you can get by for $10 per meal on average. If you take the subway that is pretty cheap too (about $0.25 per ride in Beijing).

I think that you may come out with a cost a bit higher than this tour but you would see a lot more.

vancouver
Level Contributor
594 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tour

Thank you again Jean Pierre :))

I was also wondering about Beijing . I have travelled alone quite often( actually most of the time) but then, do lots of people speak english or french there?Are there tours that i can take while in Shanghai or Beijing to see these places?

I checked the airfare and you are right , it is not that expensive.. My vacation is on April and right now i am thinking about China, Japan ,South america or the usual Europe...I know very different options .

I will be looking into different options than this tour for China anyway.

Singapore
Level Contributor
269 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tour

To ThanksSocials :

Some of us simply have no choice but to pay the single supplement(s)if we really wish to travel.

Friends might be unwilling to sacrifice their leave or unable to co-ordinate/agree on Travel Timing or Destinations etc etc etc

I even offered to pay for my mom [basically the 2 single

supplements for the 2 Back-to-Back Shanghai Land Tour Deals {Groupon & Deal deals} which work out to be the price of the all-in return air-ticket] but she simply refused to travel here as she was fearful of the walking and climbing up & down the Tour Bus with her weak knees - to her staying at home is sheer bliss instead although she enjoyed this year's CNY Hong Kong trip !

What do you guys think of these 2 Land Tour Deals - sounds like a bargain at only S$48 [tho' the current deal promo pricing has increased to S$58] and S$58 ? Just wish there was much fewer compulsory shopping stops !!!

With the single supplements paying in total S$333 (58+280SS) for Land Tour 1+ S$298 (48+250SS) for Land Tour 2 = S$631 for total 11D10N (7D6N + 5D4N Land Tours) plus the All-In Return Air-Ticket S$530 with taxes bought separately (Didn't fancy Option 2 Land Tour 1 with Ticket as it was pricier after adding the taxes !)

Total = S$1,161

[With a Travelling Companion much lesser cost at $636 per pax only !!!!!]

Plus usual Tipping + S$100 Compulsory Fee in Land Tour 1 for the Shanghai ERA Show, Suzhou Grand Canal Boat Ride + likely Impressions Westlake at Hangzhou {my guess from the stated itinerary item "Cabaret of the Night of Westlake ..." ??? The official English translation leaves much to be desired in many instances !)

So is S$1200+ considered a decent price for the so-called Super-Deluxe & Luxury Tours with supposedly 5-Star Hotels & Meals for 11D10N + All-In

Air-ticket ???

I was thinking it's about time to do more China Travel since I've largely avoided this due to 'toilet & shopping scams etc' horror stories earlier !

As my last year's 5D4N Hainan deal trip which my mom went along too {her 'tiring' complaints began from the 3rd day !) done with TravelStar was pretty ok WITHOUT any forced shopping - so have high hopes that the Shanghai deals would similarly fare the same here - fingers crossed !

See my other thread on the Southeast of East Culture & Creative Park

I had to ask the travel agent for more info before I managed to Google what this really was and its location

Related Links :

1. deal.com.sg/deals/singapore/Shanghai-7D6N-Lu… (S$58 Deal)

Itinerary - …deal.com.sg/sites/default/files/new_images_…

2. https:/…716463300 (S$48 now S$58 Groupon deal)

(See itinerary stated within too - I have the Chinese version emailed to me too but how to include here in pdf format ?)

Latest increased S$58 Groupon Deal 5D4N

https:/…716567710

So my hope is to more-or-less exhaust / explore Shanghai & the neighbouring cities Suzhou, Wuxi, Hangzhou, Nanjing, Wuzhen at bargain deal prices - pity I had to pay the extra single supplements !

[My next China destination would probably be Beijing - this time round will ensure I extend my air-ticket for some DIY Self-Exploration too

PS : Latest even cheaper 7D6N Shanghai Deal with SQ flights at only S$699 !

deal.com.sg/deals/singapore/China-7D6N-Shang…

Singapore
Level Contributor
269 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tour

Just saw this 5D4N S$48 Land Tour to Guilin but single supplement possibilty NOT stated so likely not possible for this ?

groupon.sg/deals/…

Hmmm .... is Guilin worth going solo ??

Is THIS itinerary OK ?

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,532 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tour

Most of the Groupon and Living Social deals I see here and elsewhere have been low-cost price-leaders. Simply put, you can get more for less.

They include out-of-the-way hotels frequently where you would not want to stroll around to get a "sense of China." You want to stay in a safe, thriving, vibrant center city, not out in the nondescript suburbs. Then you can wander and shop on your own.

Few people ever put Wuxi on their must-see list of places in China. On their first trip, even fewer spend a full seven days in the Shanghai area, great for reducing tour company transportation costs and poor for a tourist wanting a change in venue to see different geography and peoples.

A first-time toe dip into China must include Beijing, along with a rural area to get a good balance of urban pollution and open air natural wonders. A few weeks ago your seven days in the Shanghai area would have resulted in pronounced lung aggravation as the pollution was particularly concentrated. Is that a $3,000 vacation?

So you should travel to three different places in those two weeks, not just wander around the same region or two. Lastly, a Yangtze cruise is a fine way to control costs for the tour company but a lousy way for a tourist to see any diversity or observe Chinese people in various walks of life. You are in a cocoon, rather than mixing and mingling on the streets and in the villages. Day tours on the boat trip to relocated settlements is hardly worthwhile in any sense other than Chinese propaganda.

Find a tour which takes you to Beijing for a minimum of four full days, then three or four days in a rural setting like Lijiang or Yangshuo, and then perhaps Shanghai, Xi'an, Zhangjiajie National Park, or wherever your interests lead you.

Today you could arrrange a self-booked two-week tour for $3,000 or less from the west coast. Hainan Airlines from Seattle is a fine bargain and gets good reviews. Take a look at the China Forum page, Top Questions about China, "How do I cut costs in traveling to and in China?"

vancouver
Level Contributor
594 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tour

Hi sobesparky,

Don't know if your reply was to my post( mooshi) or to Joanna's who is kind of on my thread ...anyway thanks a lot as i personally have decided either to go somewhere else or to go it alone or at least with another tour group...i agree with you that so far no tours ( for places other than china too) do not seem worthwhile after some research.

I will come back with some more questions after more digging into the matter.

Thanks again for the feedback

vancouver
Level Contributor
594 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tour

ok I am back again, found this tour with marco polo will cost me 2000 with air/hotel single supplemetary meals transfers is this a good itinerary:

www.groupon.com/deals/ga-marco-polo-tours

…eserviceweb.com/i-1316-Itinerary.html

any feedback appreciated