We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ease of getting a double entry visa

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
459 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Ease of getting a double entry visa

As I may be visiting Shanghai again in the summer (first visit in April) I wondered about applying for a double entry visa

is it a straightforward thing to do - or would I need to give specific dates, place I'd be staying etc

thank you

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
2 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ease of getting a double entry visa

We got a multiple entry in 2009 by stating that we hoped to visit China again within a year. Unfortunately, we were not able to return within that time frame but will be going back this Spring.

Edited: 28 January 2013, 16:32
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ease of getting a double entry visa

No need to give specific dates and place.Just send in the request and hopefully it will be approved.It will cost more though.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,296 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ease of getting a double entry visa

Rules have changed quite a bit already since 2009, even since last year. It is a bit hard to predict as the rules applications seem to depend on who reviews your demand. Maybe add a note saying that you plan to return in a few months.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,606 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ease of getting a double entry visa

If you applied right now under current rules, then you'd likely have to come with a decent strategy to get the double entry. My suggestion would be to come up with a bogus itinerary that goes either

1) China-Mongolia (via overland) -China - exit. (If focused on the north)

OR

2) China- Hong Kong (via overland) - China - exit (If focused on the south).

Likely they'll want initial incoming and final outgoing flights from China, and accommodation bookings for at least the first couple of weeks of the first entry. They might let you slide on the plans for the second entry. You may need to do dummy accomm bookings that are cancellable. Once you get the visa, you can do what you like, as nobody cross-checks applications with real-time, and nothing on the visa indicates entry/exit points or methods. If you go for the double entry, you'll likely only get the standard 30 day duration of stay per entry. .

Of course, the Chinese amend their regulations all the time, so it's possible things will get easier in the next couple of months. I think it's unlikely things will get more restrictive than current policy. You've got a little time, so wait 4-6 weeks and check the story at that time.

Edited: 28 January 2013, 18:34
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
11,445 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ease of getting a double entry visa

I just got my passport back with 2 years multiple entry visa, very simple and straight forward, same price as one year, it is just a matter which BOX you check on the form, varies prices like a menu.

Form does ask for entry date, where, what hotels, phone, etc.. just fill in whatever date and hotel and long list of cities I may or may not go, which will not be correct anyway. If you must ask, I will give you the answers, everyone is happy.

Used to be 1 page application, now it is 4 pages. Before no invitation needed, now a simple invitation is required. It is still a tourist visa, not business visa as I applied for, which seems to be restricted but more correct since I only go to China on business, frankly no difference to me.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
11,445 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ease of getting a double entry visa

BTW, there is no BOX for 2 years multiple entry on the form, one year multiple is the max ($140). I just handwritten in 2 years multiple and price ($140), it worked. You should know the Chinese ways, rules and laws are suggestions which can be managed to make everybody happy.

NNJ
Level Contributor
2,998 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ease of getting a double entry visa

I thought these days one gets a multiple entries/one year visa by default.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,296 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ease of getting a double entry visa

Not really. Depends on where you apply. I just filed my application last week. I always asked and received multiple entry visas before but this time the agent could not guarantee I would. I had to add a note to my application saying that while in China I would do some side trips to adjacent countries to justify my demand for a multiple entry one. It seems easier to get multiple entries in the US.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,606 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ease of getting a double entry visa

Relatively few nationalities besides US passport holders applying in the USA, and some Aussie passport holders applying in Oz, can get multiple entry tourist visas as a matter of routine. Assuming this OP is a UK passport holder, it is unlikely s/he will get more than a double-entry tourist visa if applying in the UK

Never assume that your own specific situation is automatically the norm or repeatable by others, especially those with different passports and/or applying in different countries.

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
72 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ease of getting a double entry visa

The first time I went to China, I selected multi-entry because I wasn't sure.. they put it through without a single question. In 2011 I went to Taiwan as part of my trip and thought I might need a multi entry in case I got stranded in Shanghai (thinking ahead always!).. but they questioned my need for a multi and after I explained they said that I wouldn't need it and changed the form immediately.. they explained that I would need to provide further proof that I would definitely enter within the 6 months etc.