We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area to stay in Shanghai

northern ireland
Level Contributor
51 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Best area to stay in Shanghai

Hi,

I am hoping someone can help. My colleague and I are going to be in Shanghai between 4th and 7th June on business and wish to choose a suitable hotel. Last year we stayed in the Howard Johnston Plaza which was great. This year we need to be at Pudong Airport at around 7:30am for out return flight on 7th so would like to stay reasonably convenient to the airport. However we also want to be close enough to the city to be able to do some sightseeing etc.

What area (or even hotelO would you recommend and what is the best (quickest) way to get out to the airport.

Thanks,

Steven

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best area to stay in Shanghai

Odysessy there is really nothig suitable at or near the airport, IMO. If your business is in Pudong, I would chose a hotel in Pudong.

northern ireland
Level Contributor
51 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best area to stay in Shanghai

Not sure how to reply to replies to my post! But here goes.

Thanks NICINCHIC for your reply.

Our business is not in Pudong and having spoken to our Chinese colleague this afternoon I have suggested we stay on the West or Puxi? side. Last time as I said we stayed in the Howard Johnston Plaza and I have taken an option on rooms in the Hilton which I can cancel without penalty.

Where would you recommend on the basis that we would like to be convenient to sights, restaurants and night life and also have some good leisure facilities (pool, sauna etc) in the hotel? As we need 3 rooms for 3 nights we don't want to pay anymore than around $130 per night, so Shangri la (although great hotel group) and Four Seasons are out.

Thanks again.

Steven

Shanghai
Level Contributor
699 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best area to stay in Shanghai

If you have already stayed at Howard Johnson, best to stay in another part of the city, the Hilton should be fine.

At that early morning start time traffic to the airport should be minimal, so if you allow 1 hour to travel there,and have the hotel, book a taxi pickup,Mercedes taxi is 200rmb and very comfortable, you will not have to worry.

Checkin for those early flights is always very efficient too, only a few flights leave so early.

Nothing worth stay at the airport, except the Ramada, right next door, so if your really worried go out there late evening, Hilton would store your luggage and Ramada would be cheaper than Hilton I think.

There is some options

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best area to stay in Shanghai

ok, I see you have taken a complete turn and now staying in Puxi, you should be fine at the Hilton. I agree, get the hotel car, may be a little more $, but reliable, and will get you to the airport in time for your flight. The time you will have to leave in the morning, you shouldn't run into any problems with traffic. I don't know if you have a budget, but since I live here, where taxi's are outrageous and $50 going to the airpot here is normal.

Jinzhou, China
Level Contributor
161 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best area to stay in Shanghai

Hi, i just posted about how to get to the airport using the number two shuttle bus. If you happened to stay at the Hilton Jing An, this is very near the the bus departure point. Note that gas prices have just gone up around most of china by atleast 10% so the taxi fee is going to be more. hope this helps

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best area to stay in Shanghai

PuDong area may be your best choice to avoid the East YanAn Road Tunnel or the NanPu Bridge, but if your flight departs at 7:30am and you likely have to check out at no later than 5:30am, rush hour traffic should not be an issue.

Any if it is company expenses, stay at the Hyatt or Shangri-La. Use taxi everywhere for sight seeing, most attractions are only across the river.

Beware that Airport Buses may make stops at a number of hotels before they head out to the airport, perhaps you should consider taxi. Allow 45 minutes to the airport.

Mclean, VA
Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best area to stay in Shanghai

Hi odyssey-

I've done a lot or research on transit to the Pudong Airport because I will be in Shanghai at the end of June for the first time. The guidebooks refer to a high speed train, MAGLEV, which runs from a station in Pudong hotel area to the airport in 8 minutes! They say a ticket costs $6. Sounds like the travel time would be great if it runs frequently. A taxi within Shanghai couldn't be all that expensive to get you to the station on the Pudong side of the river.

Hope this is helpful. Maybe someone else here knows about the train that goes 450 mph.

Fiennes

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best area to stay in Shanghai

Fienes, the maglev would be great if it hooked up to the metro and if the times it ran were conducive to airline schedules, which it is not. It's more of a tourist type thing. Sometimes, if your schedule happens to coincide with the maglev then it works for the airport. I wouldn't count on it for making a flight.

Mclean, VA
Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best area to stay in Shanghai

Ncinchic, thanks for the MAGLEV info. Do you know if its last stop in the Pudong part of Shanghai city is close enough for a taxi over the river to Nanjing West Lu? Does it run to town frequently? Eight minutes would be a remarkable way to avoid 45 minutes or more of road traffic.

Fiennes

Skopje, Republic of...
Level Contributor
69 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best area to stay in Shanghai

Fiennes, good that you mentioned MAGLEV, as I was reading I was planing to do the same.

So, I came from Shanghai 2 weeks ago and I took MAGLEV to airport. It"s GREAT it runs 430km/h but you don't feel the speed since you are not right on ground, very impresive. It take less than 7min. and they come every 15min, starting 7 or 8 a.m. There is metro connection on MAGLEV station, but not every metro station in Shangai has an elevator, so it might be problem to take your bagagge up stairs to the metro exit. Just an information that you can also take MAGLEV just for fun, but then it will cost 50yuan, if you have plane ticket 40yuan (if it makes any different).

Odyssey I think that you cen't find faster way to go to airport in any other place in the world. If it is not near to your hotel you can take taxi to MAGLEV station, but you still save at least 30min.

Have a nice trip ; )