We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Positive experience in Shanghai - not everyone is a 'scammer

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
scotland
Level Contributor
61 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Positive experience in Shanghai - not everyone is a 'scammer

have recently returned from a fabulous trip across China. Felt the need to share our very positive experience on the Bund.. especially when we read about so many scams!!

We were in a group of western tourists about 10am on a Sunday, an elderly gentleman approached me while we were enjoying the view and started chatting to me, in very good English, he informed me that he was 83 years old, didn't learn to speak English until he was 53 years old and as his family was very poor when he was growing up! I was very cautious, was this a 'scam'????

I entered into a brief conversation with him and said it was nice to meet him, however, our tour was moving on and I wished him all the best. We walked on with our tour and on our return to the same spot, he was still there, he acknowledged our group but did not approach. I had relayed my earlier experience to other members of our tour, one couple started talking to him and he beckoned me over, I didn't know what to do, however, I went back to talk to him, I did offer him money, however, I was sooooo embarrassed when he refused, he stated that he didn't need/want money, he just wanted to talk to us and continue to practice his English, meet new people as all his family were either dead or had moved away, he was an 'engineer' when he worked, he missed it, missed the company and enjoyed meeting 'western' people who spoke 'perfect' English.... The moral of this is: there are good people in this world!! This man has left an impression of our fabulous tour/experience and the people we met in an amazing place!

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
11,714 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Positive experience in Shanghai - not everyone is a 'scammer

I totally agree and share your feeling completely in my travel and business experience in China.

There are many sarcasm, cold bloobed speculation and suspicion toward all locals, policemen and service staff on this forum. An otherwise dignified or honorable gentleman or woman is treated like dirt or thief by so many. They have their dignity and honor too. Especially among expats living in China, this is very puzzling to me, if they hate China so much, why do they choose to live and work in China? In San Francisco, strangers used to smile and say Hello to strangers as we pass on the streets, but we do it less and less because we don't want to mistaken for a scammer or whatever. The kindness is slipping away.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Positive experience in Shanghai - not everyone is a 'scammer

I m sure when im at the bund or Nanjing road and if i were to strike a conversation with your tour group i will be nailed a scammer too.Maybe your group will look at me with slanted eyes and raised eyebrows and antenna.

However like your good story relayed not all are bad apples some are good,nevertheless just be careful but one shouldnt be overanxious and paranoid about the whole thing and look at us chinese in a generalised way of been scammers or cheats.

This will rob you off the shine of your tour in China ,get to know some of us and you will be delighted how much we love to get to know you.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,766 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Positive experience in Shanghai - not everyone is a 'scammer

Most people are friendly. The advice generally given here is not that you should refrain from talking to people but rather not to follow them anywhere.

My former mandarin teacher lives near Wangfujing and sees a lot of tourists. When she travels to Europe she finds many people willing to help. But whenever she sees people in Beijing with a confused look on their face while looking at a map, she offers help but most of the time people just refuse and walk away with a scared look on their face.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,915 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Positive experience in Shanghai - not everyone is a 'scammer

Nothing strange, strange is that why the scam of bund has been happening for so long time.

shanghai
Level Contributor
79 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Positive experience in Shanghai - not everyone is a 'scammer

I do believe good people are around and wanting to help, some for a pay, some for nothing, thats all ok.

it is strange when sometimes you see people wanting to do you a favor or ask if they can help, the first reaction you may have is " no, no no" even if you do need help, but you just not sure if can trust people or not, this is absolutely usual. I do the same when travel. Too many bad stories tought the lessons, marked in our mindset. My advise is get the help where needed, and say no when your gut feeling tells something is going wrong.

London
Level Contributor
216 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Positive experience in Shanghai - not everyone is a 'scammer

That's lovely to hear, i think you need stories like that every now and again to remind you not everyone is out to scam you.

The gentleman sounds like another man who lives in my compound who must be over 80 years old but speaks perfect English and always stops to chat to the foreigners, he's quite the celebrity!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
627 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Positive experience in Shanghai - not everyone is a 'scammer

i would like to share my postive experience also. i and my western friend were in beijing 16 months ago. we were in a subway station. a young man saw us and volunteered to carry my friend's suitcase down the steps. after we got out of the subway, i asked another young man where our hotel was. he said the hotel was not too far away. he not only walked us to the hotel, but he also carried my friend's suitcase also.

yes, there are nice people everywhere. as for scammers, just don't follow them to where they are going !!!!

scotland
Level Contributor
61 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Positive experience in Shanghai - not everyone is a 'scammer

bed_bug 84, if it is the same gentleman, he deserves to be a 'celebrity'...I also agree with Bennystar99, we were delighted to get to know this lovely gentleman and he appeared delighted to get to know us.... restores ones faith in the human race and has left us with such a positive impression of China, along with many other people we had the pleasure to meet during our tour.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
11,714 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Positive experience in Shanghai - not everyone is a 'scammer

Your post reminded me of an experience in Paris. We were lost in the station, a woman approached us, showed us where to go, walked with us down 3 levels and stayed with us until we got on the right train to the right direction, she does not even speak a word of English. Yet, they all say French are rude and arrogant and hate Americans.

NNJ
Level Contributor
3,040 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Positive experience in Shanghai - not everyone is a 'scammer

These types of stories happen every day probably; it is just people often just publish bad news, like news media. Also, someone needs a bad story to cover his "$4000" happy ending.