We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Viking Emerald Imperial Jewels of China

Barrow-in-Furness...
Level Contributor
5 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Viking Emerald Imperial Jewels of China

We are booked on the Viking Emerald tour at end of July. Starting in Shanghai & finishing in Beijing. Can anyone advise on best clothes & footwear. Weather. Also tipping procedures & whether any optional tours/dinners are worth going on. Any information would be most appreciated. This is our first tour/cruise so don't really know what to expect, we normally go long haul 1 stay/hotel.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Viking Emerald Imperial Jewels of China

It will be brutally hot here end of July. Expect 35-40C during the day with high humidity and around 32C during the night. China is very relaxed on clothing etiquette so take what you would wear at home if you had these temperatures. No tipping in China except for a GOOD tour guide. No idea about the tour so can not comment if the tours/dinners are worth going. However no problem to walk into a Chinese restaurant by yourself and order with hand and feet or explore Beijing and Shanghai on your own. Search the forum, plenty of travelers have done it before.

cumbria
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Viking Emerald Imperial Jewels of China

Hi Helen, I am going on this trip next July and would be grateful for any tips. Thanks {also from Barrow!}

Leesburg, Georgia
Level Contributor
85 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Viking Emerald Imperial Jewels of China

Helen D and Julie21 .......

How was your trip to China? My wife and I plus another couple are scheduled for the same Viking tour on August 23, 2014. Do you have any input on clothing, tipping and whether or not the optional excursions are worthwhile. Of course, any other info that you could provide would be most appreciated.

jhk49

cumbria
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Viking Emerald Imperial Jewels of China

Sorry, should have said I am going in July this year. so I too am looking for tips!

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
2,603 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Viking Emerald Imperial Jewels of China

We did that tour in April of this year. It's an older ship that will soon be retired. It's been renovated but still shows its age i.e. unevenness of floor. We had one of the owner's suites so we loved our cabin and were treated like a king and queen. The Tang Dynasty show/dinner was amazing. The Opera was so so with screeching (very different from our opera even when you consider the language difference). The Peking Duck dinner was wonderful with the chef preparing the duck right in front of your table - take your camera. The trip requires you to walk a lot and manage a lot of steps. A couple of excursions - Terra Cotta Soldiers and the Forbidden City offered a service of a man pushing you in a wheelchair for a fee if you didn't think you could walk the distance. Wear your most comfortable show you own! Our trip ended in Beijing and we got off the ship we had to walk a long distance across an uneven path ending in mud and then up about 100 stairs. Feel free to send me a private message if you have specific questions. Have fun!

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,060 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Viking Emerald Imperial Jewels of China

I was just checking the website of this "cruise". The previous poster can confirm this but you do not cruise for the duration of this trip, Beijing is 125 miles away from the nearest port and Xi'An is even deeper inland. The only cruising portion would be Chongqing to Yichang. They could possibly continue the cruise until Shanghai but that portion on the boat would take too long. So it is really a 4-day cruise. It is ok if you are into cruising but from a tourism point of view, you are wasting 4 days there while they make you cover Beijing in 3 days (minus transportation to the cruise port). Totally the wrong thing to do. If one really wants to see the Three Gorges, then half a day from Yichang is the best way.

FYI, Chinese do not go to the Beijing opera, this is for tourists and Chinese over the age of 80 who sleep for half the show. And Beijing duck is always prepared at your table.

One can do this trip in a fairly luxury setting with private guides for this price. And you pick what to see and go at your own pace.

Some people are into cruises so that's ok. However understand that it is better done on one of the good boats and that it is not the best use of your time and money.Visiting some of the high-end boats yesterday, I could not help but notice that tipping is strongly encouraged all over. Even with mentions that the Captain does not share in the tipping pot and it is best to tip him directly. Very strange sight in a country where tipping does not happen. I am sure sure that none of the Chinese tourists on board will tip.

Durham
Level Contributor
5 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Viking Emerald Imperial Jewels of China

Hi, just seen your post for Viking Emerald, I'm doing it the 26th of this month flying Newcastle/ Heathrow/ Beijing, are you doing same date?

Barrow-in-Furness...
Level Contributor
5 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Viking Emerald Imperial Jewels of China

We had a fabulous time, couldn't fault the holiday. Hotels, boat, food, trips were all excellent. The only down side was that it should have ben longer, we would have loved to have been able to spend more time in each place including more time to ourselves to explore. One tip would be to take a travel iron on the boat as the only way to get clothes ironed is to pay for laundry service. Very hot and humid so take cool, cotton / linen clothing & a hat. Hope you enjoy the holiday as much as we did.

Salem, MA
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Viking Emerald Imperial Jewels of China

You said that you the cruise is only 4 days. We are going on this cruise in September and our itinerary is 6 nights on the ship. Thought it should be clarified.

Does anyone know about the weather in early September in Beijing, Xi'an or Shanghai?, as well as what to expect while cruising from Chongqing to Wuhan?

Port Ryerse
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Viking Emerald Imperial Jewels of China

We are booked on this trip for September 2 015. A good friend from China said September or October was the best time of year to go.

Edited: 27 July 2014, 20:55