We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go for shopping?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Topic
Where to go for shopping?

I would like to know what shopping places/malls are in Shanghai? I am looking to buy women and men's jeans and fashionable tops. Not too expensive branded but not cheap fake either. Can you please recommend some shopping malls that are accessible by trains?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go for shopping?

Also, can someone in addition to the above tell me where the local market is where I can haggle and buy cheap stuff like silk scarf, day-to-day jewellery etc?

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go for shopping?

For cheap bargains go to Qipu road markets and Xinyang/A&P Plaza at basement of Science and tech museum.Intense haggling and bargaining expected here.

For other cheap stuff but shop wisely are at YuYuan bazaar.Shopping at YuYuan and 580 Nanjing xilu are among my least favourite as there are too many foreigners been duped here in front of my eyes.Still im helpless to help them out.

Qipu road market can be reached by metro line 10 to Tiantong stop.

Science and tech museum markets by line 2.

For mid range to brandeds head to Raffles city mall at Xizang road.

New World mall,353 mall,Hong yi mall,Anderson mall,First departmental store,Shimao mall at Nanjing east road.

Midrange shopping at Ocean mall,Grand Gateway,Pacific ,Metrocity at Xujiahui.

High end shopping at Huai hai zhong lu where there are

Shanghai Center,Lane Crawford Times square,Hong Kong Plaza,Shanghai sentral,Hualien,Pacific,Isetan,Parkson,Lippo plaza.Huai hai road easily reahed by metro line 1 to Huang pi nanlu stop.

Superbrand mall at Pudong ,Lujiazui has many mid to highend shops spanning over 10 storeys.Lujiazui also has Nextage shopping mall.

Carrefour at Cloud 9 at Zhangning road,Zhongshan park is among my favourite.Easily reached by metro line 2 and 3.

Nanjing west road has among highend and midrange malls like Plaza 66,Cirros plaza,City mall,Citic square,Shanghai Center,Isetan,Westgate mall.

HAPPY shopping!!!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go for shopping?

I am finding that the prices in shopping malls are higher than at home for the same stuff. Particularly in shanghai the prices are ridiculous in the malls and the fashion not so good for the money.

Check the places other than malls that benny suggests.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go for shopping?

Thanks guys. I don't want to spend a lot of money but don't want to buy fake things either. Are the midrange shopping malls good expensive like Ocean mall,Grand Gateway,Pacific ,Metrocity at Xujiahui?

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
461 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go for shopping?

All malls and department stores are not cheap in Shanghai unless it is on sale. Maybe you can try Nanjing west road. there are many brands such as H&M, American eagle,,etc. Price varies, if you are good and lucky, you can still find good stuff with inexpensive price.

California
Level Contributor
587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go for shopping?

For knickknacks and crafts, it's still ok but keep in mind Shanghai is no longer the place like 5-10 years ago where you can find reasonably priced clothing of acceptable quality. Like Skeggles said, it's the same in the US. I talk to my relatives from Shanghai who visit and shop in California, they claim the genuine goods like Coach handbags, Levi jeans, Nike sneakers, Rolex watches, Chanel cosmetics, etc. are less expensive to buy in the US.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go for shopping?

yes all top brands and imported products are definately much more expensive here.We always get a raw deal as the taxes for these are way too high.Even mobiles and pcs imported are also more expensive unless you go for local brands.Bear in mind that after sales services may not be good as well and imported items may not turn up as 100% to your satisfaction too.

If you buy some local items at a dirt cheap price then you must also be accept if it turns redundant fast.Some risks are always attached haha.

Boston
Level Contributor
14 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to go for shopping?

Bennystar, thank you for your very thorough and informative advice! I enjoy visiting museums in the morning, then checking out local markets after lunch (even though I don't enjoy the necessary haggling!) I've been to 3 markets so far: 580 Nanjing West aka "Han City", A&P Plaza under the Science Museum, and Qipu.

Nanjing was the busiest and the most touristy, but also had the biggest selection of bags and accessories that I like. Many vendors had "secret"-closets of surprisingly high-quality replica designer bag.s I found a couple of pleasant non-pushy vendors who offered reasonable prices as a starting point (I had just been in HK and was familiar with the market prices there). While I was browsing at one stall, two different expat regular customers bought from the same vendor -- so we compared notes on prices and quality, and I ended up buying from that vendor too. I'm a shameless eavesdropper at other customers' market negotiations, and I also ask other customers what they paid and if they recommend any sellers.

Qipu had the most local flavor, which I enjoyed. The stalls on the first 2 levels sell similar merchandise at very low prices (30 rmb t-shirt-dresses), but some of the stores on the upper floors have nicely-made and more unique designs at very reasonable prices, such as distinctive well-tailored dresses for 200-300 rmb.

I didn't enjoy browsing A&P plaza as much and didn't buy anything there, although the wares were similar to and probably better than at Nanjing market. There were fewer shoppers, so the vendors were more aggressive. There was an entire section devoted to fabrics and tailors, which would be interesting to someone who had more time here.

California
Level Contributor
587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to go for shopping?

BostonQT: Thanks for the mini report on the 3 markets, been going to Shanghai for years and never went to Qipu, now I know to head to the upper floors.

Nothing wrong with "eavesdropping", I don't believe the locals mind it because they do it too, sometimes checking on how bad the non-Chinese shoppers got fleeced.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to go for shopping?

At Qipu road market as you go up to higher level so also the prices and quality.There are many low cost esp clothes at lower levels,most shops selling similar items and so if you take your time to bargain for a good price and make sure you take back in good condition.

At higher level there may be some shops selling better quality clothes and some wholesalers more interested to selll in quantity.

the thing about not able to try out the clothes is a setback so take your time.